This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Hi names Ray new member from Australia. Will be 80 next birthday and just recently decided to try what I have been interested in for years so will be reading all your advice with interest
    Thanks

Comment

hi guys ,self taught noob that enjoys fixing stuff, always learning,thats why im here!

Comment

Re: New Member

Hello,

Its nice to join this forum. I like exploring electronic devises and more especially the quick evolution in this field. Not long ago did we have a keyboard as a physical cherry clicking switches. Now it is capacitive touch. I would imagine when we will have water is our memory base. We have migrated from the magnetic fields and all sorts.

Originally posted by petabyte View Post
        As this is a brand new forum, I thought I'd open up a thread to encourage new members to introduce themselves a bit.. now hey.. let's not get too personal.. ok ?

And if you wouldn't mind to keep this thread "clean" let's try to keep the the chitchat (i.e. even the welcome to the board replies) to a minimum or this thread may get to 100 pages fast

So I'll start things off :

My name is petabyte and I'm a forum junkie. :oops: I've been off the wagon for a number of years and countless times I've tried to stop but it's useless.. I need to feed my learning addiction.. :!:

Now just a bit about me.. I'm a fairly secretive guy in terms of privacy on the net.. especially when the things you write are visable to anyone with a net connection. But I love to share the info and knowledge I have, so that's why I'm here, to share and learn.

my formal education is that of an electronic engineer and I held a field service position with a firm for over 20 years.. that job is gone now along with company car and laptop <cry> oh well..
        So needless to say (but i will) I've always tinkered with things.. yes, a hacker.. (too bad that term lost it's orignal meaning) a hardware hacker mostly.. hacking fixes in whatever I find that breaks.. (except for cars, I have friends for that) I got started a little late into the computers, my first box was an ibm pc-xt with a whopping 10meg HD,blazing fast 4.66mhz 8086 processor, 640k mem running dos 3.3.. man was I cool back then.. :roll: nevermind..

so these days, I'm forced to be a software guy as well.. as I fix pc's for friends and that usually means cleaning virus/trojan/adware and reinstalling OS's.. yeah hardware breaks but not that often :cry: so as a result, I keep up on my software knowledge by visting a few security forums.. and trolling around a few hardware forums as well.

now I found this place from a thread at motherboards.org/forums
        where I've been hanging out lately.. it's a nice friendly place with some pretty smart people.. mostly, of course, it's about mobo's.. So this person mentioned badcaps.net and I recalled reading articles a year or so ago about the faulty caps and was curious as to what you guys were up to.. and I said "w00t.. they have a forum"..

and so now.. you're stuck with me :P

so what's your story ? come on.. give it up..

Comment

Thanks for allowing me access to the mass of info and intelligence. This is awesome.B-)

Comment

Hi thank you for welcoming, I am happy to join you.

I am an electronic field engineer for an X-Ray equipment company in Canada.

I am looking to solve problem with the home appliance I have.

Comment

The first computer I laid eyes on was called FEEBEE, the exact spelling of which I have no idea. My Dad brought me to his place of work, and this computer was in an equipment rack which spoke to a teletype with a paper tape reader/punch. It was fascinating enough to see it regurgitate what I typed.
              As a teenager, I scoured the shops of Canal Street for surplus electronics on my rare trips into the city. Assembling control systems with relays was my typical objective, once buying military surplus 4PDT relays, neatly packed in tin cans, 35 cents each. What a score!
              Years later, I gave up hardware for software. Intermittents were just too elusive for my taste, a problem that software rarely displays.
              Still its a hardware world, which brings me to this forum, hailing from Hawaii.

Comment

Hello all, Matt from Louisiana here. Glad to be part of the group and look forward to sharing and learning info!

Comment

Hello -- quick post to prove I'm human so I can post elsewhere..

Comment

Sup, I'm guerillaEngineer. I'm an electrical engineer by trade and a hobbyist by heart.

Hope to see everyone's neat posts!

Comment

Hey all, I'm new here. Singed up here to try and get some resolution on a Dell U3011 turning black. Looking forward to posting. Thanks

Comment

Hello. I'm Roach. First timer in a forum. Not sure what to do. Trying to learn about my problem with my 50 in Philips plasma tv model 50PFP5332D/37.

Comment

Hello All

Jack here. Retired Electronics technologist from Nav Canada.
                          Keeping warm in Winnipeg.

Comment

Hello every one,

my name is abdo, network engineer.

i came upon this forum while trying to fix a cougar CMX 700W.

i can see that this forum is Great for fixing various electronic stuff .

Glad that i came here

Thanks for this forum

Comment

just decided to join your forum.
                              My first "PC" was an Acorn Atom ..... a while ago ....

Comment

Old bad beer ruins our young guts guy here hello all!

Comment

Hey fellow techies! My name is John and I'm looking forward to being a part of this forum. I'm not a NOOB, but I'm also not a pro so I'd I ask any silly questions take it easy on me!

Thanks

Comment

Hey all, names jared.

Looked like this was a great forum to join and learn how to actually fix broken main and power boards instead of just defaulting to replace them so here i am .

Comment

Hi folks, my name is Preston

I've repaired computers and other electronics, but with no formal training, just picked it up as needed. I have repaired a few TV's and have another one I'm getting ready to start on. Was referred to this site after watching a video from Tampatech YouTube channel.

My first PC was an Atari XL 800, then a Wang Computer that later used a IBM emulation board for a dual booting system.

Ride a Vulcan 1500 FI and last year picked up a Piaggio MP3 500cc scooter (3 wheel scooter that leans into the turns). I really get some looks when pulling away from traffic and folks catching up with you to ask about the scooter at red lights.

Look forward to being a part of the group.

Comment

Good morning everyone.
                                        I am a beginner electronics.
                                        Greetings to all.

Comment

Greetings to all.
                                          Last edited by WANDOSU; 01-16-2017, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X