Zotac mainboard needs PSU with 8-pin mobo connector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zotac mainboard needs PSU with 8-pin mobo connector

For my Zotac GeForce 9300 mainboard, I need a PSU with an 8-pin motherboard connector. This PSU is hard to find and expensive. An adapter is available to combine with a 4-pin mobo connector to make it an 8-pin. Does anyone have experience with these $5 adapters, or would it be better to buy a PSU with the 8-pin mobo connector?
    Last edited by binsonk; 09-02-2015, 08:07 PM.

Re: Zotac mainboard needs PSU with 8-pin mobo connector

For the most part you can just plug the 4-pin into the 8 and it'll work fine, just don't expect overclocking and such to be stable. I've never known a board that won't work using a 4 in the 8.

Comment

The 4-pin mobo connector only fits in slots 5 to 8. Is that normal? IIRC, the 4-pin PSU did not work, but an 8-pin PSU did work. Unfortunately, I only borrowed the 8-pin PSU, and lost the opportunity to buy it.

I just powered it up with the 4-pin in slots 5 to 8. I got a display but the fan did not work. The CPU fan gets power from a connection on the mobo.
      Last edited by binsonk; 09-02-2015, 08:14 PM.

Comment

I had an Intel D975XBX2 which would refuse to POST if you used a 4-pin CPU connector. The majority of motherboards, though, will work fine with only 4 pins connected.

The thing is, though, virtually all new PSUs have an 8 pin EPS12V CPU connector, so I don't know what you meant by hard to find and expensive.
        see http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817151148. Dirt cheap, reasonable quality and it has the connector.
        Last edited by c_hegge; 09-02-2015, 08:20 PM.
        I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Thanks for the link, c_hegge. It's sort of the point of this query to find out about the even cheaper adapter.

Comment

It would probably work too, but I prefer to avoid using adapters where possible in favour of a PSU which has all of the required connectors

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by binsonk View Post
              For my Zotac GeForce 9300 mainboard, I need a PSU with an 8-pin motherboard connector. This PSU is hard to find and expensive. An adapter is available to combine with a 4-pin mobo connector to make it an 8-pin. Does anyone have experience with these $5 adapters, or would it be better to buy a PSU with the 8-pin mobo connector?
              Get a used unit with an 8 pin. They used it for a reason, and that is current draw. Otherwise, especially with heavy use, you'll overload the adapter's connector and the 4 wires trying to carry the current of 8.
              sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

it's possible that the 12v pins on the gfx card are not all linked and some are directly driving different parts of the card.
                that would be a poor design, but it sounds like what's happening.

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                  Get a used unit with an 8 pin. They used it for a reason, and that is current draw. Otherwise, especially with heavy use, you'll overload the adapter's connector and the 4 wires trying to carry the current of 8.
                  Depends on the CPU. Something such as an E6600 does not need an 8-pin connector to power it, regardless of what motherboard it's installed in. With an OC'd 125W CPU, though (Core 2 Extreme for instance), then yes, you would want to use an 8-pin connector.

Comment

Oh my, I wasn't satisfied with the cooler and fan on it, so I swapped in a stock Intel cooler, and now the CPU fan works with the 4-pin mobo connector in slots 5 to 8 (?). I think I can make a box now.
                    Last edited by binsonk; 09-02-2015, 09:44 PM.

Comment

The 8 pin converter works fine just remember it is sucking more current from a single power line on the psu so dont overload your psu.
                      You are only too old when you say you are too old!!!

Comment

Originally posted by binsonk View Post
                        4-pin mobo connector in slots 5 to 8 (?).
                        Not sure which pins it is off the top of my head but it'll only fit in one position, won't fit aligned over the others.

Comment

I got a new toy. I don't have many units with specs this good.

Zotac mainboard
                          2.6 GHz Dual Core
                          nVidia display
                          1 GB DDR2 / 800 MHz FSB , 128 MB onboard video (VGA)
                          VGA & Digital Video, onboard connectors
                          HDMI onboard
                          4 SATA drive slots

I'm running a liveCD of Linux. Look Ma, no hard drive!
                          Last edited by binsonk; 09-02-2015, 11:39 PM.

Comment

you should double the ram - other than hat the specs look good.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                              If I spend any money on this unit, first priority will be the correct PSU with 8-pin mobo connector. I don't know many distros of Linux that would falter with 1 gig of DDR2.

Comment

What about these two designs?

1 http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Server-Mot.../121731664839?

2 http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Pin-Molex-.../321229806421?

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                  At least, better put 4Gig in there...

Comment

Linux isnt so greedy with ram

Comment

I dropped by the local computer repair shop to look for a 4-to-8 pin adapter. The man said of the 8-pin mobo connector that the other/extra 4 pins are to power a graphics card, implying that the motherboard is adequately powered by the 4-pin connector.
                                      Last edited by binsonk; 09-03-2015, 02:25 PM.

Comment

oh dear...
                                        I'm out of words for that...

And no, it is not. It is for the CPU, most likely not GPU...

Comment

Working...
                                        X