Help with ASUS K8V SE Deluxe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with ASUS K8V SE Deluxe

I'm just going to list down symptoms and cap list,but not before configuration in case you ask

FSP FSP300-60GTP 300W PSU - recently replaced 20pin ATX and 4 pin ATX12V molex plastic parts with black ones - they ALL make contact
    AMD Sempron 2500+ - Socket 754
    ASUS K8V SE Deluxe
    Winfast A7300GT TDH 256MB AGP - tested on another mobo - DOS mode works fine (BIOS showed up fine),VGA mode has artefacts (screen isn't garbled like my dead Radeon 9600 but this one has small vertical blue dot bars in VGA mode)
    1.5GB RAM - 3x512MB
    Speeze Ball Bearing HSF (Speeze is owned by Spire if I'm not mistaken)

Symptoms:

-no POST
    -motherboard turns on as soon as AC switch flipped - I suspect 8 OST RLX caps around the CPU to have failed without signs (no bulge) to the point that they short the motherboard,but I wait for your opinion on this so I can surely know.
    -no monitor output (logical since it does not POST)
    -no beeps (AMI BIOS btw)
    -N-Bridge,S-Bridge and SuperIO chip (Winbond W83697HF) do not heat up;NIC,SATA and FireWire chips do (Promise PDC20378,Marvel 88E8001-LKJ and VIA VT6307 respectively)
    -CPU does not heat up

Caps:
    12v side - 2x NCC KZE 1200uf 16v and 1x 1500uf 16v Panny FJ
    CPU side - 9x 1500uf 6.3v OST RLX caps - I suspect all of them being shorted - will removing them prevent the board from turning on as soon as AC switch flipped The last one is near ATX 20 pin plug
    Rest of the MB - 12x OST RLP 6.3v 1000uF and 1x 470uF 16v Ruby MBZ(near N-Bridge) - those are harmless I guess,they're along PCI slots and do not filter CPU side

I've been reading that automatic powerup when AC switch flipped may be caused by failed caps,and from what I read OST caps are very known for failing without bloating. (the only time I've seen bloated caps was on a Epox EP-4PLA3I board,which I had to throw away sadly)

Any help?
    Main rig:
    Gigabyte B75M-D3H
    Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
    Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
    16GB DDR3-1600
    Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
    FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
    120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
    Delux MG760 case

Re: Help with ASUS K8V SE Deluxe

the automatic power on when ac switch flipped is due to the mobo bios setting called "restore on ac power loss". for most boards, it defaults to "last state". since the board wont post, the on board mobo power switch will only work if u hold it down for 5 secs to turn off the board. if u turn off the mains power directly while the board is still on, when the ac power comes back, it will return to its "last state" which is "powered on".

assuming the fsp psu u used with the board doesnt have junk caps that could have killed even branded caps, the mbz, kze and fj shud be fine. ALL of the rlx and rlp have to go. bad ost caps around the agp/pci/ram slots, main atx connectors, bios chip and bios battery can cause all sorts of strange glitches with your system.

i had bad ost caps before on my board's 5vsb line and bios battery always causing the cmos settings to be corrupted thus the board kept saying "cmos error defaults loaded" whenever it booted up. this might also explain the "powerup when ac switch flipped" due to the board's bios settings being reset back to default due to corruption.

first, try recapping the rlx around the cpu and then try powering on with no ram. if the board is still alive and the osts didnt short and kill the regulator, it shud beep and complain about no ram. then its a good sign the board should work fully after a full recap of the ost rlp.
    Last edited by ChaosLegionnaire; 09-09-2015, 11:10 AM.

Comment

The "restore on AC power loss" can't work,for two reasons:

1.BIOS chip is good but the BIOS never initializes at all
      2.The board came with no CR2032 3v battery.

Also,the board doesn't turn off if I hold the switch for 5 seconds,it will just keep running and nothing else. I have to turn it off from the AC switch.

Something is wrong here as I just touched (I wear an antistatic wristband,don't worry) the MOSFETS near the CPU and near the I/O ports and they're not warming up. Neither does the CPU as a matter of fact.
      Main rig:
      Gigabyte B75M-D3H
      Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
      16GB DDR3-1600
      Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
      Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
        The board came with no CR2032 3v battery.
        that is the exact reason it powers up the moment it gets power. i have had boards with no cmos battery that do this. the cmos settings go back to default the moment the battery is pulled due to lack of battery power. its the same as using the clear cmos jumper.

try to post pics of the board so the experts here can see if anything shorted or burnt when the board died. u can also try measuring the mosfet pads (not the legs) with a multimeter. it should read 1.2-1.4V. if it reads, 0.8V, 0.9V or anything less, it might be the regulator is toast.
        Last edited by ChaosLegionnaire; 09-09-2015, 12:00 PM.

Comment

check the psu first,
          the fsp ones are good design, but full of OST.
          i have personally had about 5 - all of them vented the caps eventually.

Comment

minimize what you're booting with

get 1 stick of ram

BIOS chip is good but the BIOS never initializes at all
            if it dosen't init, how do you know it's good?

try a different psu if you have one, a psu you know boots
            Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
            ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
              that is the exact reason it powers up the moment it gets power. i have had boards with no cmos battery that do this. the cmos settings go back to default the moment the battery is pulled due to lack of battery power. its the same as using the clear cmos jumper.
              Doesn't apply either. This board does this regardless if the CMOS battery is present or not.

Originally posted by stj View Post
              check the psu first,
              the fsp ones are good design, but full of OST.
              i have personally had about 5 - all of them vented the caps eventually.
              It does have some OSTs (about three,all 4700uF 16v) they check all good though.

There's also an Teapo (or at least the vent looks so,even though I suspect it being a Taicon) which also tests good.

The only bulged caps I had to remove were an bulged brown Teapo 2200uF and another cap on 5vSB which I don't remember. Other caps are fine though,not bulged,not shorted or anything. In fact,this PSU powered a GA-P35-DS3 board w/Pentium Dual Core E2160 without problems,all voltages in spec. I can't measure the voltages with a DMM on this one though,as soon as I try the PSU crowbars.

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
              minimize what you're booting with
              I did -PSU,GPU,CPU w/HSF,1x 512MB RAM stick. Still nothing.

if it dosen't init, how do you know it's good?
              Do you really think the previous owner (which when I met he was fixing phones,not PCs) knew how to flash a BIOS? Most of these boards that I get are in their original state when they were taken out of the PC,and most people I've bought my boards from don't know flashing BIOS,let alone what does a motherboard do

try a different psu if you have one, a psu you know boots
              I already tried a beefy Deer PSU (which currently powers a dual core PC) and still nothing.

Now,here are some pics of the board. The missing caps near the CPU were removed yesterday in my attempt to see if it would prevent from automatically turning on when I flip the AC switch,but with no result,the board still doing the same behavior. Also included a GPU shot. Caps on it are KZG,except for the poly caps.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Dan81; 09-10-2015, 12:23 AM.
              Main rig:
              Gigabyte B75M-D3H
              Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
              16GB DDR3-1600
              Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
              Delux MG760 case

Comment

Winfast A7300GT TDH 256MB AGP - tested on another mobo - DOS mode works fine (BIOS showed up fine),VGA mode has artefacts (screen isn't garbled like my dead Radeon 9600 but this one has small vertical blue dot bars in VGA mode)
                uhh, problematic video cards can work in some boards and not in others. try a different gpu

Comment

uhh, problematic video cards can work in some boards and not in others. try a different gpu
                  Did that already with a good Radeon HD3450 512MB AGP. Still nothing.
                  Main rig:
                  Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                  Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                  16GB DDR3-1600
                  Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                  Delux MG760 case

Comment

you need a post card.
                    is vcore present?
                    since cpu cold probably not.
                    is cpu compatible with that board at its current bios rev?
                    Last edited by kc8adu; 09-10-2015, 01:56 AM.

Comment

boot without the gpu with a speaker connected to the internal connector so you can hear any beeps.
                      i assume the bastards didnt fit the beeper on the board - 95% of boards have them missing!

Comment

semp 2500+ requires bios 1007 for this board

although in my exp with these athlons, they still should boot but say 'unknown cpu'
                        Last edited by Uranium-235; 09-10-2015, 02:40 AM.

Comment

although in my exp with these athlons, they still should boot but say 'unknown cpu'
                          I was thinking of the same,but the stupid people at ASUS didn't put a label on the BIOS chip to mention what BIOS version it has.

stj - tried that,still nothing. And true,they didn't fit a beeper. I had to put one on the speaker pins.

kc8adu - I'm very sure it's not present or both the VRM section and CPU would warm up.
                          Main rig:
                          Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                          Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                          16GB DDR3-1600
                          Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                          Delux MG760 case

Comment

ECS boards dont - they hang - i found out the hard way.

Comment

i'm not surprised, ecs boards are usually pretty junky

you knew ahread of time this was an asus board, so it's just less junky

Comment

Sounds like classic Sudden Asus Death Syndrome. Asus boards of this era are known to be junk and to do this. You've replaced crap with crap. Try a gigabyte, msi, or abit board next time (the latter at least used to have crap caps but were bombproof after a recap). That said...

Speeze Ball Bearing HSF (Speeze is owned by Spire if I'm not mistaken)
                                Speeze is owned by Fanner Tech, who also makes Mass Cool. IMHO they're cheap junk; the fans they use have bad bearings (short operational life) and the heatsinks do not have properly machined faces (still has rough "doodle circle" mill marks, not properly sanded smooth from the factory). Even their external hard drive enclosures reek of cheapness.

While this isn't the cause of your troubles, if and when you get said system running, given that socket 939 coolers are still plentiful, IIRC AMD still uses the same cooler clip design; all that changed was the motherboard mount brackets which went from two screws to four with the introduction of AM2 (two wasn't the best for distributing tension and put a lot more stress on the bracket).
                                Last edited by ratdude747; 09-10-2015, 09:47 AM.
                                sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

The missing caps near the CPU were removed yesterday in my attempt to see if it would prevent from automatically turning on when I flip the AC switch,but with no result,the board still doing the same behavior.
                                  if u want to fix this issue, your priority is to get the board to post first since u seem to believe that this issue is caused by failed caps. so going by your own words, if ALL of the bad caps or whatever fault is fixed then the board *should* stop powering on when the ac is back.
                                  Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                                  Sounds like classic Sudden Asus Death Syndrome. Asus boards of this era are known to be junk and to do this. You've replaced crap with crap. Try a gigabyte, msi, or abit board next time (the latter at least used to have crap caps but were bombproof after a recap). That said...
                                  lol i resent that haha~ i have two of those puke yellow asus boards from "that era". a p4c800 and an a8v and they work fine after a full (preemptive) recap, i swear!

*chaoslegionnaire hides his asus rog boards away from ratdude*

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post

Speeze is owned by Fanner Tech, who also makes Mass Cool. IMHO they're cheap junk; the fans they use have bad bearings (short operational life) and the heatsinks do not have properly machined faces (still has rough "doodle circle" mill marks, not properly sanded smooth from the factory). Even their external hard drive enclosures reek of cheapness.
                                    Huh. Amazon says they're manufactured by Foxconn,and that they are also known as Spire.

That being said,the only instance I've seen an BULLETPROOF ASUS board was a pull from a T-Systems machine - a P4P800-VM full of Pannies and Rubycons.

Hope my next bullet hits a GB or a MSI. I've rarely had problems with those. That,or at least Biostar or ASRock. Worst case EPoX (though they make good boards w/crapcaps which can simply be recapped) or ECS.

A funny fact though,I've been having luck with ECS as opposed to people saying they're crap. Yes,ECS's cap choices is downright crap,but some of their boards are actually good if recapped. At least I've had nothing but luck with PCChips and ECS.

Gigabyte is somewhere in the middle for me,but MSI is clearly my number one choice for getting a board. They make good stuff.

Since when did ASUS go to this crap quality? Not even ECS would stoop as low as ASUS did.
                                    Main rig:
                                    Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                    Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                    16GB DDR3-1600
                                    Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                    Delux MG760 case

Comment

MSI is clearly my number one choice for getting a board. They make good stuff.
                                      yuuup. all i've used for all my customers [all millitary class]. no deaths yet for 3 years and like 10 separate computers

Comment

Since when did ASUS go to this *censored* quality? Not even ECS would stoop as low as ASUS did.
                                        Their early s478 and earlier boards were pretty decent, but they completely dropped the ball when s775 came out. Even their premium boards have ben junk since then. I class them as being about on par with ECS nowadays (ie, they are to motherboards what Codegen and Deer are to PSUs and what Fuhjyyu and Sacon are to caps).
                                        I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Working...
                                        X