is it worth recapping this psu? fsp amacrox speedpower 500w with pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is it worth recapping this psu? fsp amacrox speedpower 500w with pics

attached some pictures of the inside of this psu. would like to know if this psu can actually output the full rated wattage of 500w based on the design and components in the pictures. if so, then it might be worth recapping.

this psu seems to use one ost rlp and several capxons on the secondary side if the pictures werent clear.

there are also complains on the web in a sri lanka forum about this psu making systems unstable and killing their mobo and video card. i have personally experienced this crapxon psu killing the panny FJs on my asus a8v board. so the crap caps have got to go. just need to know if this psu can output the full rated wattage of 500w and the design is good enuff that its not a cap heater and killer. thanks~

PS if the pics are not good enuff and u need more closeups, please let me know which part of the psu to zoom in for closer pics and i will try to upload them.
    Attached Files

Re: is it worth recapping this psu? fsp amacrox speedpower 500w with pics

The pics need to be focused.

Comment

You really do NOT want to recap THAT!

Well, take a look:

Comment

errr which thread is that pic from? and whats wrong in the pic? do u have to desolder everything to get to the caps? or is it the glue all over the psu that could turn conductive?

Comment

Take a look at my pic.
          There you can see most caps clearly.

And there are a couple of caps that are just a nightmare to dig out...
          The one between the secondary side main coil and the heatsink especially. I don't know if you can get it out at all without desoldering the heatsink and/or the coil...

And many of those caps you have to dig out of the cables and even than you may not get all...

So it's more like a rabbit hole to hell than worth doing...
          And here I posted the pic
          It does work, doesn't it?!

Comment

Just ignore that BS about how wonderfull crapxon is and it is only bad platform. It seems like either Blue Storm II or Epsilon/Everest platform, not sure with those images. Usually fine after recap but you must include even the small caps on stand-by rail. And also check what diodes they used in there.

I can supply you with closest capacity long-life caps to those custom crapxons, with Chemi-Cons KZH and KZN. Already did a dozen or two, all which were successfully repaired work fine up to this day.
            Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
            Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Originally posted by behemot View Post
              just ignore that bs about how wonderfull crapxon is and it is only bad platform. It seems like either blue storm ii or epsilon/everest platform, not sure with those images. Usually fine after recap but you must include even the small caps on stand-by rail. And also check what diodes they used in there.

I can supply you with closest capacity long-life caps to those custom crapxons, with chemi-cons kzh and kzn. Already did a dozen or two, all which were successfully repaired work fine up to this day.
              +1

Comment

hi, thank you all for your comments. from your tipoffs, i have managed to do some digging in g00gle and have found this unit to have identical layout to the be quiet straightpower e5 and ocz gameXstream series of psus.

the mods here c hegge and per hansson also talk about this speedpower unit in a topic on the jonny guru forums with an indonesian guy back in august 2014.

from the reviews around the web about the be quiet straightpower e5 and ocz gameXstream, this type of unit has minimal rail sagging during load and moderate/average amount of ripple and should be built well.

so to answer my own question about this psu being capable of outputting the full stated wattage of 500w, the answer is a yes!

but for my first question on whether its worth recapping, the answer is a yes and a no. yes because this unit is built well and has received positive reviews among other things. no because the caps are stuck in hard to reach places and would be a bitch to remove all the caps. also the caps required are in unusual dimensions for their capacitance and thus a pain to find. gonna be a nightmare to find 2200uF caps in 8mm. 1000uF 16V caps are also hard to find in 8mm.

btw, i took another closer look at my unit and i caught a bloated capxon near the corner of the board underneath where all the cabling is. the airflow underneath the cabling must be terrible hence the bloated cap.

that explains why this psu killed my a8v mobo with branded panny FJ caps. it was a real biatch having to fully recap all the 25+ caps on that board!

Comment

There are no quality 2200/6.3 D8 caps on the planet. I tried different manufactures to make me, no luck.

So I have 1500/6.3 and 1000/16. I usually combine that with couple 3300/6.3 D10 - there are a few positions you can squeeze D10 caps in there, if you use D8 for the rest. Mostly the first cap before Pi coil and IIRC for the +3.3 V rail you can use both caps D10.

It is not that difficult to remove any of them in this platform, there are much worse with huge heatsinks hiding caps. Here they are mostly under the cabling, that is no problem at all, it is somewhat flexible after all…
                  Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

a pair of long-nose / needle-nose pliers helps to reach caps stuck between things.

Comment

I would definitely keep and recap that thing.

Comment

+1. Definitely worth recapping. The cap failures that these sometimes get are 100% the fault of the caps. The design itself is actually fairly capable.
                        I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Well, I'd rather say that this design really neads high quality caps more than most other designs because there is no redundancy in some important positions...

Especially that one between the coil and the heatsink...

Beside that, it's a decent design for the time but probably a nightmare for a 'capjob' because most caps on the secondary side are under the cables (and get not much airflow) or something like that...

Comment

It is no problem recapping this thing, I guess I could tell better after repairing about two dozens of these and completelly disassembling about 3 units for parts. Doing one does not really make platform expert from you. I have even reviewed one in original state and I must admit the efficiency is not bad for its age, it is close to 80+ Bronze. Ripple is good. Voltage regulation is equaly bad to all group designs.

And where those crapshits survive 5 years on average, my Chemi-Cons KZH with 6000 hours @ripple and temperature and KZNs with 9000 hours @ripple and temperature (makes me think whether KZM 1000/16 would not be better alternative next time - slightly lower ESR and 8000 hours) will do between one and two decades.

Comment

are u sure kzh and kzm are the right replacements? the esr for kzh and kzm are much too low. the capxon kf used has roughly an esr of around 0.1 ohms. the kzh and kzm have less than a third of that.

Comment

How do you know their ESR? Those are custom caps, 8x25 and 8x30 mm IIRC.
                                Last edited by c_hegge; 09-21-2015, 06:49 PM. Reason: Fixed grammar

Comment

well judging by the esr of the 10x20 and 25 ones. that should be the lower limit on how low the esr can go.

Comment

Forgot know.

I use them for years without problems. This platform is modern enough to handle that.

Crapxon KF and teapo SC are decade old crap but cheap and with short lifespan so they still use them. On purpose.
                                    Last edited by Behemot; 09-21-2015, 06:44 AM.

Comment

I don't like at all the location of the +5VSB transformer and its caps, against the wall in a dead zone with little or no air flow.

Comment

hmm... i've been reading up on reviews of the many different names this unit has been called: fsp epsilon, amacrox speedpower, be quiet straightpower e5, ocz gamexstream. the chief complaint that i've been hearing of is that the ripple goes out of spec around 300-400w. the common thing is that they all used capxons in the review units. cuz back in the day in 2007, capxons were of an unknown quality in psus. not much was known about how good (or bad) capxons were. so when the unit fared poorly with ripple in the review, ppl were scratching their heads.

could it be that capxons simply perform poorly in a filtering role? let's say a jap cap and a chinese/taiwanese cap with identical specs for esr, ripple, capacitance, voltage, can size as well as age. would the jap cap perform better and reduce/smooth the ripple better than the chinese/taiwanese one even tho they both got the exact same specs for capacitance, esr, ripple, age etc.?

if that is true than the ripple problems jonny guru and the other reviewers were experiencing with the epsilon units could simply be solved by recapping the psu with jap caps? even oklahoma wolf came on here to ask how to improve the fsp epsilon design. so im guessing this proves c hegge's point? that the problems this unit had with ripple were simply caused by the poorly performing capxon caps being used?

this also worries me a little as i got capxons as smoothers (not filters) in my superflower leadex gold on the modular panel. if capxons were such crappy performers at handling ripple, why'd superflower put them there?! grrr ruins an otherwise perfect psu...
                                        Last edited by ChaosLegionnaire; 11-05-2015, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X