Wifi signal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wifi signal

Hay. Not sure if This post is in the right place but here it is. My neighbor said I can use his wifi. The signal is weak. I assume it's because of the distance. Approximately 150 feet. Also there are other open wifi but are weak also. Is it possible to extend the antenna wire out of the tv to the outside to a antenna to improve signal strength.

Re: Wifi signal

get yourself a ubiquiti oudoor AP or similar.

Comment

Not looking for gadgets was just wanting to know if its possible. All smart TVs I've been into. Only have a small piece of metal at the end of antenna wire. So could that wire be extended to the outside, maybe connected to an Ariel antenna or simply to so aluminum foil to pick up better. any thoughts will be appreciated.

Comment

no, the losses in the cable will remove anything you gain from a decent 8dB+ antenna

Comment

antennas on the router might help

Comment

Ok. I have routers .Not on his network.

Comment

maybe you can use a router in reverse to link to his router.
              some have that option, others can sometimes have better software installed.

what routers do you have?

Comment

Get a cheap tp-link 740, install dd-wrt and connect it to the other wifi network as a client. After that you can use cable to connect your TV ( and other devices ) to that router or add a virtual wireless network to which to connect your devices.

Comment

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
                  antennas on the router might help
                  +42

Relocate the router closest to the neighbor's house. Add a "cantenna" pointed directly at his source. Use CAT5 to make up the distance to the router's previous location. (note "router" can also be a laptop, etc. acting as a bridge)

If neighbor really wants to cooperate, he can add a cantenna on his end pointed back to yours.

If you can't get close to a mile with such an arrangement, you're not trying hard enough!
                  Last edited by Curious.George; 04-11-2020, 12:17 PM.

Comment

This is neither smart, nor reliable. If you have money for smart TV, at least buy a cheap router with AP client function, waterproof junction box and put the router on your chimney and then connect it to the TV at your home. Second hand 5210G or M2 costs about 30$. Don't you have 30$ to save from cigarettes and whiskey? Even I have 3 AP's in storage - 2 TPLinks and one Bullet M2. Don't do stupid things if you don't want to be constantly frustrated with dropping connection. I used 5210G to connect to Repotec router on a 1.5km distance without issues. At least 15Mbps at any time.
                    Last edited by televizora; 04-12-2020, 11:51 PM.
                    Useful conversions. I don't "speak" imperial. Please use metric, if you want to address me.
                    1km=1000m=100000cm, 1inch=2.54cm, 1mile=1609.344meters, 1ft=30.48cm 1gal(US)=3.785liters, 1lb=453grams, 1oz=28.34grams

Comment

Originally posted by nosugartonight View Post
                      Ok. I have routers .Not on his network.
                      I send you PM message
                      9 PC LCD Monitor
                      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                      30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                      10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                      6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                      1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                      25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                      6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                      1 Dell Mother Board
                      15 Computer Power Supply
                      1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                      2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                      All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

If youre not looking for a gadget, your best bet is to get your neighbor to reposition his/her router to accomodate you

Comment

Originally posted by simitaktas View Post
                          If youre not looking for a gadget, your best bet is to get your neighbor to reposition his/her router to accomodate you
                          I did more research and found a list of practical solutions that may be of help of to boost wifi signal

Comment

This was the setup I had when using someone else's wireless network, a D-link AP with detachable antenna arrangement and a small 2.4ghz dish. The AP once configured was sealed up in a box and stuck up the pole with dish, power over Ethernet completed the arrangements. This setup worked flawlessly for a few years until they rolled out ADSL thus rendering the setup redundant.

Comment

Working...
                            X