good news,
    acording to this:
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/precision-...ltimeter-gw24b

it can read frequencys upto 15MHz

so meter the crystal pins.
    (with the chip fitted and powered)

Comment

Re: ESR meter upgrades

right held encoder switch on (lcd backlight on) meter leads across crystal pins no activity at all in hi and low setting on hz

Comment

what value are the 2 small ceramic caps?
        and try with the meter black lead grounded

Comment

22pf and will do
          Last edited by vinceroger69; 06-20-2016, 10:10 AM.

Comment

and no change with leads on ground etc.

Comment

i dont suppose you have another 8-16MHz crystal about?

Comment

stj have a look in this picture ive just found online the bottom row of resistors you can see the colours ok a lot of mine dont match with these?
                http://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-EZM328-...-/331800111900
                and no sorry no spare crystals at all.
                I think its best i put this too one side untill the pre built kit comes and go from there do you think thats for the best?
                Last edited by vinceroger69; 06-20-2016, 10:30 AM.

Comment

i cant make out those colours.
                  i bet it's the crystal or the atmel though.

wait for the next one - then you can swap the micro over for a test.
                  i wonder if they are stupid enough to send a blank chip out??

Comment

ok i will test the ic first then the crystal if still fails i will check the resistors/transistors next i will take good clear pictures of the pre assembled unit and i think will give you the resistor colours too so you can double check the values etc, i was using a online calculator then double checking with my meter but im new too this hobby so bound to make the odd mistake but thanks for your input so far stj its appreciated.
                    and yes who knows maybe a blank chip will soon find out.
                    Last edited by vinceroger69; 06-20-2016, 10:40 AM.

Comment

stj any idea what size resistors are used on these boards ie 1/8 1/4 etc as i might order a mixed value kit as some of the leads i cut a little short.

Comment

they are blue, so 1% metal oxide.
                        and they look about 7mm long, so probably 0.6w not that it matters on this circuit, 0.1w 4mm ones would be fine.

r1-r6 should be an exception, they should be precision 0.1% type.

Comment

Thanks i forgot too add there 6mm long.

Comment

well a little update stj the pre built tester came so checked all resistors etc over ony three parts needed to be swopped
                            R8 brown red black orange orange
                            R9 gold gold black brown brown
                            R15 brown red black purple red
                            I will let you work the values out correctly.
                            Now the good and the bad news the tester still does not work but when i swop the chip it works 100% ok so i guess in the kit its a un programmed ic (as you had said earlyer) so what i need stj is there a cheap china board etc i can use to copy the data from chip to chip ive got to say now i think i will need help copying/programing it as ive never this sort of thing in the past, cheers again stj for your help with this project/kit.
                            Last edited by vinceroger69; 06-27-2016, 04:57 AM.

Comment

sorry double posted for some reason.

Comment

i already linked the 10pin header and programmer for you

Comment

Originally posted by vinceroger69 View Post
                                  R8 brown red black orange orange = 33k - what i said in the first place!
                                  R9 gold gold black brown brown - 11ohms - really????
                                  R15 brown red black purple red = 27k - again, what i already said.
                                  can you double check R9, that was not in the kit

Comment

R9 defently gold gold black brown brown in circuit though measures 3.29k but colours are correct just checked on both units.

R13 is the same colours measures 3.29k in circuit
                                    What also makes it hard to see the colour bands on these resitors there all blue base but on some the blue is lighter so the colour bands look slightly diffrent even under good light there small as well being 1% 1/4 watt ones
                                    Thanks again stj all parts ordered (crystals on back order though untill 29/6)
                                    I will borrow a good camera tomorrow and take some good pictures showing the colours of all the resistors and locations etc.

So yes ive got to admit you was spot on with your first list stj it was me mixing up the last few resiors i installed but either way the ic is not programmed as tested it numerouse times in the good meter and does not work at all just a screen flash but the new meter ic works fine in my kit ive built myself so i will just have to wait until parts come and re programe bad chip.
                                    Last edited by vinceroger69; 06-27-2016, 10:29 AM.

Comment

3k3 would be orange,orange,black,brown,brown

btw,i am looking at a vanity upgrade next - if your interested.
                                      colour TFT display
                                      http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/311500898933
                                      Last edited by stj; 06-27-2016, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Thats what i thought earlier it certainly dosnt look orange bands but certaily measurs 3.29K with a multi meter same as R13 same colour bands So when i first gave you my resitor kit list i must of measured it using a multi meter and didnt go of the band colours.
                                        When per hansson gets his kit maybe he will confirm for us the colour bands and the actuall measurements
                                        Last edited by vinceroger69; 06-27-2016, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by vinceroger69 View Post
                                          Thats what i thought earlier it certainly dosnt look orange bands but certaily measurs 3.29K with a multi meter same as R13 same colour bands So when i first gave you my resitor kit list i must of measured it using a multi meter and didnt go of the band colours.
                                          When per hansson gets his kit maybe he will confirm for us the colour bands and the actuall measurements
                                          i dont see why not i will probably keep one tester standard and upgrade the other one i should learn from it too inregards of programming the ics etc as thats all new too me although ive just saw this video on programming the ic
                                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_LY...st=WL&index=81

Comment

Working...
                                          X