Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HP 15-dk LA-H462P - 5 long 3 short caps blinks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP 15-dk LA-H462P - 5 long 3 short caps blinks.

Laptop powers on but no display. Caps lock blinks 5 long and 3 short. HP support says that means,

"5.3 (blink)

System board

The embedded controller times out waiting for the BIOS."

I flashed bios with programmer but it made no difference. I cannot find schematic or boardview for this board.

I don't have an oscilloscope, but my multimeter has a frequency reading function. I measured the RTC crystal labeled YH2 near keyboard connector and it reads 59.96Hz.

None of the large gray coils have any voltage on them.

Help? I have attached pics of board.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by grimacelord; 07-15-2021, 08:16 AM. Reason: attached pics

Re: HP 15-dk LA-H462P - 5 long 3 short caps blinks.

before the Crystal, are there appropriate voltages in your voltage coils? 3.3 v, 5V, 1.05 V 1.5 v 1.2 V . which label is on the Crystal, 37620 H or 24mhz. you're measuring about 60hz this is the US city network frequency.
    I'm not happy to be so strong. because it's not humanly

Comment

Originally posted by Sametbey View Post
      before the Crystal, are there appropriate voltages in your voltage coils? 3.3 v, 5V, 1.05 V 1.5 v 1.2 V . which label is on the Crystal, 37620 H or 24mhz. you're measuring about 60hz this is the US city network frequency.
      None of the large coils have any voltage except for one near the DCIN and it has 0.3V. All other coils have no voltage.

The label on the crystal reads "A952L"

The power adapter is HP genuine and is producing 19.5DCV as intended and I can read 19.5DCV at the DCIN jack.

attaching pic of crystal and pic of the only large coil I can read any type of voltage on (marked PLB02 at top of pic #2)
      Attached Files

Comment

i think u have right voltage on PR303.

after start measure voltage on pin 8 on bios ic

Comment

Does the white light come on at the power jack when the charger is plugged in
          All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Ok, what the hell? Now, I suddenly have some voltages I didn't have previously. See pic in below post for voltages

Originally posted by ktmmotocross View Post
            i think u have right voltage on PR303.

after start measure voltage on pin 8 on bios ic
            Pin 8 = 3.36V

Originally posted by SMDFlea View Post
            Does the white light come on at the power jack when the charger is plugged in
            Yes.
            Last edited by grimacelord; 07-15-2021, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Here. I marked the locations on this picture where I am receiving voltages. These are are measurements taken at coils except for the one cap which is 19.7v and the pin 8 of the BIOS. Hopefully this helps better explain.

Also, question about measuring the crystal. Do I need to measure it while the laptop is plugged into power AND powered ON?
              Attached Files
              Last edited by grimacelord; 07-15-2021, 01:00 PM.

Comment

You have missing VCore. Check why no voltage is generated on PCH power coil(located near PLZ1-the smaller coil). Without pch power, vcore will not come up. However, i'm assuming that coil near PLZ1 is indeed pch power coil based on experience and i may be wrong. There must be a controller near to that coil which will generate this voltage and you need to check its requirement.

Meanwhile do check resistance(in Ohms mode and not in diode mode) on Vcore & PCH power coil and post here.

Comment

Originally posted by mcplslg123 View Post
                  You have missing VCore. Check why no voltage is generated on PCH power coil(located near PLZ1-the smaller coil). Without pch power, vcore will not come up. However, i'm assuming that coil near PLZ1 is indeed pch power coil based on experience and i may be wrong. There must be a controller near to that coil which will generate this voltage and you need to check its requirement.

Meanwhile do check resistance(in Ohms mode and not in diode mode) on Vcore & PCH power coil and post here.
                  The smaller coil labeled "PLA1" that we think could be PCH power has an Ohm reading of 0.5 ohms

The three larger coils that we're assuming are VCore have an Ohm reading of 0.5 ohms also.

Attaching a pic of PCH/VCORE area if it helps
                  Attached Files

Comment

It just occurred to me that perhaps you want to know the resistance to ground on VCore and PCH. I measured across each coil. Oops.

New measurement resistance to ground in ohms mode:

The small coil that we think may be PCH power: 14 ohms
                    The three coils we think are Vcore are all 2.6 ohms

Comment

The power controller nearby to the coils seems to be an OnSemi NCP81215. I'm assuming this should be providing PCH power judging by the datasheet: https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...6a0c8f92b2.pdf
                      Attached Files

Comment

I took some measurements of the NCP81215 controller. I'll be honest, I'm not 100% sure which of these pins are important, but I checked what seem to be important by their names.

Pin 39 PWM_VID - 0V
                        Pin 38 PGOOD - 1.27V
                        Pin 36 EN (enable?) - 0V
                        Pin 33VCC - 1.05 V

Pin 11 PWM/PHTH4 - 1V
                        Pin 10 PWM/PHTH3 - 0
                        Pin 9 PWM/PHTH2 - 0
                        Pin 8 PWM/PHTH1 - 0

I am not very familiar with what all of these pins are. I know the schematic gives a description of each one. A few of them I recognize like pins 34/35 SCL/SDA are data lines. Pin 29 is FB or "Feedback", but some of these others I am not sure what exactly they do, even after reading the description

The fact that the enable pin seems to not be outputting could that be my issue? I checked for shorts on the data lines and there are none.

Not sure what to check here...
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by grimacelord; 07-16-2021, 12:02 PM.

Comment

PLA1 is VCCSA not PCH VCore.
                          OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Originally posted by piernov View Post
                            Thank you. Do you have any suggestions what I can do from here given all of the information I've provided so far?

I can provide any additional info/measurements if you like just let me know

Comment

Originally posted by piernov View Post
                              Also, I thought this was interesting as another thread on here had a the same problem and the ultimate issue was the guy was missing VCCSA voltage at coil.

He replaced PQ4012 and it solved his issue. This laptop isn't like his however, so I don't have the same component markings.
                              Last edited by grimacelord; 07-16-2021, 12:24 PM.

Comment

So if PLA1 really is VCCSA coil then I am also missing voltage on that coil just like the guy in the other thread I linked to. It seems to be fed by the component below it labeled PQA1. The markings say: "B09 A03 FMA0193". Having trouble finding it's datasheet.

EDIT: This might be the datasheet: https://datasheet4u.com/datasheet-pd...php?id=1111716
                                Last edited by grimacelord; 07-16-2021, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Do these readings appear normal? This is on PQA1 and PLA1 which apparently is VCCSA.

PQA1 appears to be a EMB09A03HP MOSFET. (Datasheet= https://datasheet4u.com/datasheet-pd...php?id=1111716 )

Here are the measurements I am seeing in pic attached
                                  Attached Files
                                  Last edited by grimacelord; 07-16-2021, 01:00 PM.

Comment

The reading is not correct due to missing gate voltage. This is just a dual channel mosfet. I think there should be an IC driving the gate of this mosfet. Yes PLA1 seems like VCCSA.

Comment

The reading is not correct due to missing gate voltage. This is just a dual channel mosfet. I think there should be an IC driving the gate of this mosfet. Yes PLA1 seems like VCCSA.
                                      OK. There is an IC nearby with board marking PUA1. The IC marking is CGT.

I tested continuity and found that two of it's pins have continuity with gate1 and gate2 of the mosfet, so it seems you were right. This appears to be the IC that drives the mosfet. I checked for voltage on the two pins of this IC that has continuity with the mosfet, but there was 0 voltage.

I have no idea what this IC is that is labeled "CGT" and has a board identifier marking of PUA1???

Here is a pic to illustrate:
                                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by grimacelord View Post
                                        OK. There is an IC nearby with board marking PUA1. The IC marking is CGT.

I tested continuity and found that two of it's pins have continuity with gate1 and gate2 of the mosfet, so it seems you were right. This appears to be the IC that drives the mosfet. I checked for voltage on the two pins of this IC that has continuity with the mosfet, but there was 0 voltage.

I have no idea what this IC is that is labeled "CGT" and has a board identifier marking of PUA1???

Here is a pic to illustrate:
                                        The part marked CGT is an ON Semi NCP81253MNTBG https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...54407f3dc3.pdf

See page 91 in the LA-H501P schematic https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...light=LA-H501P
                                        All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Working...
                                        X