Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

bad batch of ncc lxf in xycom industrial pc's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bad batch of ncc lxf in xycom industrial pc's?

i have been seeing a bunch of these boxes come in for service.
    mostly bad hard drives and lcd problems.
    but any that have these ncc lxf in the psu have at least 1 shorted and the others quite leaky electricly.
    some of these boxes have very few hours as they are in a qc lab.used a few hours a month.
    the ones with rubycon yxg are always ok.
    bad lot?counterfiet?
    Attached Files

Re: bad batch of ncc lxf in xycom industrial pc's?

Xycom VME provides equipment manufacturers with board-level microcomputers and input/output solutions used in machine control, test and data acquisition, medical equipment, automotive test and assembly, robots, scanning equipment, semiconductor manufacturing, military systems, industrial welders, power generation and high-speed packaging applications.
    whats that unit do anyway?
    capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

its a measurement device for checking parts.

Comment

I couldn't find a datasheet for the LXF, but they do list the LXY as it's modern replacement.

For the LXY, the 2200uF 16V caps come in 2 sizes with different specs:
        12.5x30 30mO 1950mA (maxripple @ 105C,100khz)
        16x20 38mO 1630mA

I'm not sure which diameter matches your original, but since this is a recommended replacement I'd assume that the specs on the LXF must be no better than these, and possibly worse.

For Rubycon YXG:
        12.5x25 27mO 2230mA
        18x16 43mO 2210mA

In either case, they have higher ripple current ratings than the LXY, and so presumably also better than the LXF. Over time, this might be why they've held up better.

Comment

remember that it's also in an industrial setting, so things die faster.

Comment

Some larger LXFs had an issue in the past with electrolyte leaking out of the bottom bung. AFAIK, the cause hasn't been pinpointed conclusively - it could have been a bad batch, but it could just as well have been improperly bent/inserted leads during assembly which damaged the bottom seal. The issue was noticed by a high-end audio company - possibly Bryston (I could be wrong).

I still use LXFs for PSU recapping, and haven't run into any leakage yet, but in most cases the ATX PSU is oriented in such a way that the caps are hanging suspended from the PCB - so this issue may never show up. What I like about the LXF is the claimed 15k hour endurance number - we'll see how it goes.

The dimensions on my 2200/16 LXFs are 12.5 x 29 mm, brown sleeve, Japanese thin/narrow vent scoring, straight leads. Yours look shorter and stouter, but they may be a custom series.
            Last edited by linuxguru; 10-09-2007, 01:01 AM.

Comment

Addendum, Edit time limit expired:

Apart from the dimensions, the vent scores on your LXFs are wider, deeper lines more characteristic of Korea Chemicon/Samyoung. The bottom bung marks appear to be accurate. The font/legend on the sleeve is similar to mine, but the exact locations of some letters differ. My verdict: yours are not Japanese-manufactured LXFs.

Comment

Originally posted by linuxguru View Post
                Some larger LXFs had an issue in the past with electrolyte leaking out of the bottom bung. AFAIK, the cause hasn't been pinpointed conclusively - it could have been a bad batch, but it could just as well have been improperly bent/inserted leads during assembly which damaged the bottom seal. The issue was noticed by a high-end audio company - possibly Bryston (I could be wrong).

I still use LXFs for PSU recapping, and haven't run into any leakage yet, but in most cases the ATX PSU is oriented in such a way that the caps are hanging suspended from the PCB - so this issue may never show up. What I like about the LXF is the claimed 15k hour endurance number - we'll see how it goes.

The dimensions on my 2200/16 LXFs are 12.5 x 29 mm, brown sleeve, Japanese thin/narrow vent scoring, straight leads. Yours look shorter and stouter, but they may be a custom series.
                Trying to fix a Dyna Corp DCF 704 Performa 6200 PSU, the LXFs in the 12mm size leaked from the bung FYI
                My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

Holly Necro a 14 year old thread!

Comment

Originally posted by brethin View Post
                    Holly Necro a 14 year old thread!
                    yikes sorry,hopefully these panasonic FR I ordered will be fine for replacing LXF
                    My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

If still available, Chemicon LXV series would be a closer match, or maybe Nichicon PS series.
                      PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                      To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteS in CA View Post
                        If still available, Chemicon LXV series would be a closer match, or maybe Nichicon PS series.
                        I couldn't get the FR in all the sizes but Chemicon LXY's came in the same size. then I will use panasonic FC to replace the Chemicon SME.

Comment

Working...
                        X