Iiyama Prolite E431S Turns off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iiyama Prolite E431S Turns off

Ok the problem is it will turn it's self off after 2-3 seconds and go back to the standby orange lamp.

After reading through the forum I did see another post about this screen in which the same thing was happerning and the chap replaced two caps and fixed his problem.

I have checked all the caps on the video and psu board and all the caps look ok no bulging or leaking as far as I can see bar one which is the biggest cap on the psu board.

Not sure how to upload pictures but i will try.

Mike

Re: Iiyama Prolite E431S Turns off

Ok here are the pictures, I have ringed the cap that I thinks is bad in red.

Mike
    Attached Files

Comment

If thats your board yeah it looks popped to me but way is the sleeving partly missing?
      Hermie are crap Id replace all 4 of them regardless

Not sure whats the best caps
      maybe Panasonic FC will do or UCC, not sure of best series for these

others here could give you a better idea then I and there are a few posts (as you said) on inverters/PSU boards for LCD's

So maybe have a read through them if you haven't already

Provided no other damage has been done cap replacement should work.

Welcome HTH

BTW no guru here so you might want to hang and see what other feedback you get on it

Cheers
      You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you may be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins ...

Comment

Thanks for the reply...........

Ok I'm new to this sort of thing though I am good with soldering iron, yep that is my board and you think I should replace the cap ok I need a little more help on the the type and model of cap to buy.

As far as the sleeve missing you stumped me as I open the case up and thats how it was?

many thanks.

Mike

Comment

sleeving the black plastic around the cap....

also I said caps....the others maybe ok but they are junk and if one has gone they may not be in great condition anyway

As I said I am not sure what the best cap for this situation
          (and cant recall what has been used in other inverter/PSU boards)

I would "guess" Panasonic FC series would be OK (or FM)

Post values and I could tell you part no.'s
          (I have a funny feeling those caps might be 25 Volts you got there? this may rule out FC not sure)

These are Low ESR capacitors,
          (Mostly) with switching PSU circuits, Low ESR (Effective Series Resistance) this is an important requirement of a cap along with its ripple rating.

Panasonic are probably more easy to obtain depending on were you are thats why I mentioned them and cost wise I don't think overly expensive.

they are not the only cap in town thought that you can use

one important thing is,
          don't go to you local Hobby electronics supplier for caps for this
          They will sell you "General Purpose" Caps at worse or a Best A crappy version of what you need.

You need to go to (Depending on were you are) someone like RS Components Farnells DigiKey etc
          or contact TopCat forum owner
          he could probably supply what you need with out a sweat too.

Thing is you need to know is the uF value (capacitance) and the Voltage

unless advised other wise its "same with same" so thats why I said wait a bit for reply's

I don't know the circuit so thats my advise although sometimes a small increase in capacitance can be an idea depending on the circuit

black caps would probably be the same value ditto the blue

side point
          Just make sure you note polarity although I think its marked on the PCB anyway
          (just get in the habit of doing that, isn't a bad Idea)
          These are polarized caps and have to go ++ -- or cap will go Pssst

HTH Cheers
          Last edited by starfury1; 04-07-2008, 04:53 PM.
          You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you may be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins ...

Comment

Humm maybe I was thinking FM series...being ruled out voltage wise in some values...anyway

Here is willawakes post on caps and series...in the FAQ

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2280

Mostly these forums tend to be MB focused but PSU are another favorite for blown caps
            and now it seems LCD's psu & inverters are making big in roads to most likely to stuff up due to use lower grade caps

So cap selection does depend a fair bit on what your fixing as to what you really need to use

Cheers

Comment

Again thanks for the advice..........

Ok the two blue caps are 470uF 16v lt 105c

the large black cap is 1000uf 16v le 105c

and the smaller black cap is 1000uF 16v le 105c

cheers

Mike

Comment

Ok after doing some reading can you confirm these caps to be a good replace ment for the 1000uf caps and the 470uf caps:

1000uf 0.39p

http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/pro...=1219463&N=401

470uf

http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/pro...=1219462&N=401

There is also two more caps on the psu board which are 150uf 25v

cant seem to find a 150uf in panasonic but can find a 220uf would this be ok not sure if a higher rating is ok.

http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/pro...=1219468&N=401

cheers again.

Mike

if so I will order them today

Comment

bear in mind I dont fix these thing on a day to day basis so I am not 100% sure what good for PSU Inverter boards in LCD...I know there is a few posts on them

well thats the FM series me personally I can see a problem using them.

Just notice its "L" on the 470uf part number,
                  this means the lead Pitch, lead:3.5mm you may need the non L version which is 5mm
                  A search there revealed they don't have any
                  so check the PCB for the lead spacing.

if you use the 3.5mm (and its 5mm) you wont get then flush to the PCB thats all
                  not ideal but I think you will get away with it if you got no choice
                  (considering one's happy sitting on its side)

As for the 150uf sometimes depending on the circuit its not Ideal to move away from the nominated value.
                  Something about that value and what you working on says don't

normally Id say yes but it really does depend on what they are doing circuit wise
                  for the cost Id grab a couple of the 220uf anyway.
                  just leave them out for the minute...
                  just something ringing bells on that value and what your working on.

just on the 2 series FC FM
                  FM is Better specifications of the 2 but I have read the FC maybe better suited in PSU use

put it this way they should work and be a lot more reliable then what was there.

that sounds like from those values its a Pi filter setup.

I'll have to have ferrite around on that 150uf

Anyway you can wait to see if anyone else has anything to say on it or just order them....I am sure (provided nothing else is screwed) it will be fine with them, Id say so too for the 220uf but since they really don't need to be replaced (by the looks of it) at this point leave them for the minute...
                  (I'll see if I can find what it was about the 150uF)

Cheers

Seems FM was no worries in this post

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...150uf+inverter
                  Last edited by starfury1; 04-08-2008, 01:20 AM.

Comment

well looking at the PCB they I guess are the 2 near the inverter transformers (the 150uf)
                    since I don't have clue id leave them.
                    someone more familiar might post on if you would be ok to replace with 220uf FM

Cheers

Comment

As for the sleeve partly missing I have seen that before on Nichicons I don't know why the sleeve doesn't go all the way to the top.

Maybe a machine malfunction maybe?

Anyhow yes there are bulgers there I'd replace all of the secondary caps Hermeis are crap.

That will get you working again.

Panasonic FCs are best since they are a non aqueous electrolyte and fare well in the dry hot conditions that exist on LCD inverters and PSUs.
                      Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

non aqueous electrolyte

Since you mention it KS

I'll expend on it a bit
                        what it means "basically" is if water used in the liquid (electrolyte) in the capacitor.
                        FC dont FM do

Thats putting it very simply and may not be totally correct

FC should handle heat better the FM but FC specs are worse then FM
                        in you case I think either would be fine
                        but you will probably get longer life out of an FC series in that use.

FM are a little cheaper and I think will give a good account of them selfs
                        (if not the greatest service life....still better then any Hermei)

This is more so why I mention FC first

there is an FC available in the 5mm pitch

9692053 PANASONIC EEUFC1C471
                        (think all you need to do is search the pana part number with FC instead of FM)

Anyway the choice is yours

If those 150 uf are across voltage supply rails then yeah use 220 uf

HTH

Maybe a machine malfunction maybe?
                        yeah good point on the sleeving

Cheers
                        Last edited by starfury1; 04-08-2008, 04:26 AM.

Comment

Thanks for all your support so far I will keep you informed.

Mike

Comment

no worries keep us posted
                            its nice to know if something works after all the posts

Cheers

Comment

Ok well been looking for these caps on three different sites and RS seems to be the best site for me as one has a £20.00 limit on it (farnels) anyhow RS does not have any 1000uf 16v fc or fm caps but it did suggest this cap as an alternative

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/s...duct&R=3654098

would this be ok.

Mike

Comment

The Panasonics at your link are unfortunately not low ESR.

If you can't find Panasonics you could also look for Samxon, Nichicon, Rubycon, or Nippon Chemicon.

Those are reputable manufacturers as well just make sure to check their datasheet and make sure that it says either Low ESR or Low Impedance and not general purpose or standard and of course that they are rated at 105 C.
                                Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

if the original capacitor was gp then he can put gp as a replacememnt, ESPECIALLY if he can't find(or it's not easy to find) low-esr equivalent.

willa has a list of what can be found where
                                  http://www.capacitorlab.com/where-to...tors/index.htm

but again, if original cap was gp, you can replace it with gp.
                                  panasonic gp types will probably outlast usefull life of that monitor...

again, even the caps on the mobo can be replaced by gp types(people from this forum have been doing it) but they'll last shorter than low-esr types.
                                  let's say they'll last 2x shorter(they'll probably last more) and that way a board that would do 10 years does 5.
                                  but you'll probably replace board sooner than 5 years have passed anyway.
                                  the fact is caps make problems only when they go rather high with esr...this means low-esr is not a must, esp. not in general purpose smps...
                                  if you can get low-esr, sure, put it, but if you can't, gp will do.

Comment

You can always use GP capaitors, the question is how long does it survive? Some people even used them at motherboards.

Any way rs does offer all what you need:

RS Stock No. 526-1266
                                    Manufacturer Panasonic
                                    Manufacturers Part No. EEUFM1C102

RS Stock No. 449-0980
                                    Manufacturer Panasonic
                                    Manufacturers Part No. EEUFC1C102S
                                    Catalogue page 2 - 3406

If you can`t wait until they are backordered just take the 1200uF 16v ones, as long as it fit`s physically i don´t see any problem by adding a little 200uf.

RS Stock No. 315-0489
                                    Manufacturer Panasonic
                                    Manufacturers Part No. EEUFC1C122
                                    Catalogue page 2 - 3406

Comment

just really my thoughts on it

normally "same with same" is best idea if you dont know the circuit or what effect it will have on the circuit

but here in lies the problem

Most of what used in these positions on these types of boards "dont" last
                                      I don't know if its cause there just crap or GP crap
                                      but "sooner" rather then later these caps pop and there is a fair few posts on this type of failure on these types of boards

As I said above I think its a Pi filter of a switcher of some kind

Low ESR is recommend for switchers

granted
                                      A quality GP is much more likely to last longer then any crap one when used within specs
                                      and sure GP will work for a time.
                                      but is a GP really a recommended cap for this circuit
                                      or was it just used cause it was cheap and would last a year or 2
                                      (if they were GP caps)

Remember the caps used here were probably selected by the bean counters not the Engineer

If your going to do the job you may as well do it once do it right and be done with it.

I cant see any mention of them being low ESR type cap
                                      so personally I wouldn't use them.
                                      (if you want longest term reliability)

I cant see a problem with going to 1200uf considering it "nominal" 1000uf meaning electrolytics capacitance spec can and does vary by up to 20%

for a bit more on what its all about Mike see the wiki on electrolytic capacitors

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrolytic_capacitor

Just on that board too...its a power supply/ inverter board (for LCD back light)
                                      Mike, sometimes they are build together and other times they are separate pcb's

This appears to be a common type failure from posts around here ( net in general)
                                      and inverters are known to go a lot too with these things
                                      (TFT LCD in general I am talking)

HTH

Cheers
                                      Last edited by starfury1; 04-11-2008, 08:14 AM.

Comment

Cheers guys........

OK I have order the 1200uf 16v caps and the 470 16v caps from RS. they should be here next Tuesday.

A friend at work is a whiz at solder work and has offered to do the soldering if I get stuck but I wont learn if I don't try so........ the old trusty dead motherboard will get some use for practice as i'm ok with solder work but.......

As always I will keep you posted

Mike

Comment

Working...
                                        X