X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Hall of Shame - Badcaps Photo Montage

JEE capacitor

They were found on many generic 300-350W PSU.
    Attached Files
    days are so short when you actually do something..

Comment

forever...bullshit!
      from an astron rm 50 m psu
      Attached Files

Comment

Where'd they use that 85C GP part?
        PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
        To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

noname? vent brand?
          I'm affraid that "VENT" is the brand. Seen few in some PSUs, usualy they hold their name and vented

KILL it with FIRE!
          "It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong." - Voltaire
          "I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts..." - Hemingway my config - my caps

Comment

hermei with panasonic vent copy.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by PeteS in CA
              Where'd they use that 85C GP part?
              in a astron rm50's board.
              this is a low stress app.
              lm723 and a mess of pass transistors.

Comment

The uA723 is a very old linear regulator IC designed in the mid 70s, by Fairchild IIRC. Obviously, it was a very decent design, since it is still being used. Boschert used to use 723s as PWM controllers in their late 70s, early 80s medium power SMPSs (their two-stage design).
                PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

nkcon from acer 24" lcd ccfl inverter.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by kc8adu; 01-18-2007, 06:33 PM.

Comment

A Sam Yong cap, from a Humax CI5100 DVB-S Sat receiver SMPS.

It was at the 5v rail, all other voltages where far out of spec, as the bad capacitor does not hood up any voltage anymore.
                    Attached Files

Comment

I've just had two PCM-5896 (Skt 7) mobos go down within 3 months of each other.
                      One was "delivered" in Dec-02 and the other in Mar-2004.

Both have a pair of blown KZG 1000uf 10V caps.
                      Is this likely to be the "Bad Cap" Problem or a coincidence?
                      Attached Files

Comment

Probably a mixture of age and heat. IIRC KZG are only 2000 hour @ 105c caps, so it might just be its time to go. (AFAIK KZG also seem to extremely dislike high temps.)
                        The ever-amazing (and ever-affordable) KY, Chemi-con's best kept secret.

I'll probably be the only person going to SteamOS once it gets out of beta (ha ha.)

Comment

2006 ost from dell psu
                          Attached Files

Comment

oh crap so early huh?
                            capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Huh, thats may be a bad desing, simply well underated caps or to hot enviroment.
                              I would say usutch Ost should last at least one year or longer, in a decent desinged PSU.
                              Any way, for my personal use, Ost are not something i leave for long in my PSU´s

Comment

The bulge on that OST cap is hardly noticeable, any novice could easily look at it and think it's still good. But I know from experience that caps don't have to be domed up and spilling their guts out to start showing symptoms! I had a Fujhyyu cap in my PSU that was domed only very slightly (like that OST), and the PC would constantly reboot.

I also have some caps that are apparently Fujitsu polymer (although they have a K vent on top). One of them is ever so slightly bulged - could even be manufacturing defect, it's so small. Board is still stable at the moment.
                                You know there's something wrong when you open your PC and it has vented Rubycons...

Comment

this is from a dell dimension e310
                                  the psu is 230w and is running a p4 3.4 and lots of drives.
                                  started bootlooping and died.
                                  those ost remind me of a bunch of licon i pulled from a video card a while back.
                                  same greenish gold print and bullseye bung.

Comment

Bulged Fujiyuus from an Antec 2 fan PSU.

I found these by luck I just happened to shine my flashlight through the rear fan and decided to check the caps and I spotted a slight bulge. Any novice would think they were fine.

The blue ones are the secondary filter caps which I found after opening it up.

Ironically enough the black caps were right in front of the rear fan (the caps that signaled me to open the supply up) and they still bulged .

Sorry my camera flash obliterated the dielectric if you look closely you should see a bit of it coming out.

Its better to catch them early then catch them late.
                                    Attached Files
                                    Last edited by Krankshaft; 07-28-2007, 06:32 AM.
                                    Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

FuhTin? bulged capacitors pulled from HP x4000 Workstation memory controller card. 1000uF 10Volt
                                      Attached Files
                                      Last edited by Phenos; 08-15-2007, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Might be Fuh Yin. The series name, "PSRX" is reminiscent, IIRC, of NIC Components's "NSRX" series name.
                                        PeteS in CA

Comment

Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                                          Might be Fuh Yin. The series name, "PSRX" is reminiscent, IIRC, of NIC Components's "NSRX" series name.
                                          Maybe Fuh Kin ????

Comment

Working...
                                          X