X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Hall of Shame - Badcaps Photo Montage

Originally posted by Phenos
    FuhTin? bulged capacitors pulled from HP x4000 Workstation memory controller card. 1000uF 10Volt
    definately fuh yin
    i wound up with about 100 of the x4000 boxen here.
    beware the hn/hm on the backside too.change those and add the 4th that is blank.
    a neighbors just died and he had inspected it last month and saw no bulging.
    the hn/hm blew up during near record heat .
    didnt help that this guy smokes like a chimmney and his kids have cats and a dog.
    makes regular blowouts with compressed air mandatory.

Comment

grp with a faked?
      matsushita logo.
      from a cheap junk fluorescent ballast.
      Attached Files

Comment

HERMEI
        1000uF/16V 105° LZ Series
        Found in the power supply of a Viewsonic LCD monitor
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by lucky13
          HERMEI
          1000uF/16V 105° LZ Series
          Found in the power supply of a Viewsonic LCD monitor
          Seems now HERMEI likes to use Panasonic's T vent.

I pulled 2 1000uf 10V HERMEI caps out of a L&C PSU (purchased with case in 2005) with the same vents.
          My gaming PC:
          AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz Six-Core CPU (Socket AM3)
          ASUS M4A77TD AMD 770 AM3 Motherboard
          PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 PCI-Express x16 3.0 Graphics Card
          G.SKILL Value Series 16GB DDR3-1333 RAM (4x4GB dual channel)
          TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD (x2)
          WD Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD
          ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI sound card
          Antec HCG-750M 750W ATX12V v2.32 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply
          Antec Three Hundred Mid-Tower Case
          Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
          Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Comment

I removed a bulging Koshin 1000uf 10V cap and also a "Saturn" brand 1000uf 10V cap from a DEER PSU.
            The Koshin cap had a grey coloured sleeving and was 10mm in diaemter, the Saturn cap was had a balck sleeve and was 8mm in diameter.
            The Saturn cap was on the +5V SB and the 10V Koshin was on the 5V line I think?? The motherboard it was powering had a burnt southbridge.
            Wish i had a camera here right now but unfortunately it's on the charger.... I'll post some pics soon.
            Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

Is this the 'Saturn' brand cap you're talking about?

I don't believe we ever positively identified these caps, but most people believe they are rebranded Lelon caps. They sure vent like Lelons
              You know there's something wrong when you open your PC and it has vented Rubycons...

Comment

Yup - that's the one I call 'Saturn'. It's pretty ubiquitous, especially in Deer/L&C PSUs, and it's got higher failure rates than Fuhjyyu/CapXon, about the same as Jun Fu, and probably a tad better than YEC/Chhsi/GSC.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom41
                  Is this the 'Saturn' brand cap you're talking about?

I don't believe we ever positively identified these caps, but most people believe they are rebranded Lelon caps. They sure vent like Lelons
                  That's it. The Saturn that I removed had bulged though and leaked electrolyte out the top. hmm.... will we ever be able to find out what brand this type of cap is??
                  Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by stevo1210
                    That's it. The Saturn that I removed had bulged though and leaked electrolyte out the top. hmm.... will we ever be able to find out what brand this type of cap is??
                    We could call them off as generic no-name caps...
                    My gaming PC:
                    AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz Six-Core CPU (Socket AM3)
                    ASUS M4A77TD AMD 770 AM3 Motherboard
                    PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 PCI-Express x16 3.0 Graphics Card
                    G.SKILL Value Series 16GB DDR3-1333 RAM (4x4GB dual channel)
                    TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD (x2)
                    WD Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD
                    ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI sound card
                    Antec HCG-750M 750W ATX12V v2.32 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply
                    Antec Three Hundred Mid-Tower Case
                    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
                    Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu
                      definately fuh yin
                      i wound up with about 100 of the x4000 boxen here.
                      beware the hn/hm on the backside too.change those and add the 4th that is blank.
                      a neighbors just died and he had inspected it last month and saw no bulging.
                      the hn/hm blew up during near record heat .
                      didnt help that this guy smokes like a chimmney and his kids have cats and a dog.
                      makes regular blowouts with compressed air mandatory.
                      Yup it had the famous bulged HM caps, I replaced the memory controller card with a new recapped card.

Comment

Teapo with panasonic vent copy, It's currently on my Sapphire grouper Mainboard.

The 2nd picture is also a "Saturn/SC?" brand capacitor 330uF 200V.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Phenos; 09-24-2007, 05:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Phenos
                          Teapo with panasonic vent copy, It's currently on my Sapphire grouper Mainboard.

The 2nd picture is also a "Saturn/SC?" brand capacitor 330uF 200V.
                          Teapo with Panasonic "T" vent?

This is the first time i see this, so surprising.....

May be Teapo have changed their vent, when your mothwebaord is produce?
                          My SAMXON Capacitors Database HERE!!

X-CON is a new brand for SAMXON's Polymer Capacitors.

Comment

Yup it had the famous bulged HM caps ...
                            The date code on one of those HMs is "H0146." That would mean it was manufactured in the 46th week of 2001. Weren't the (in)famous bad lot of HMs and HNs made in late 2003 or early 2004? The "H0146" HMs are nearly 6 years old. Perhaps they are simply old age failures (assuming the parts have been in continuous use and no problems with airflow)? IIRC, HM (like all the other ultra-low impedance caps) are rated for 2000 hours at rated max. ripple and temp.
                            PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                            To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                              The date code on one of those HMs is "H0146." That would mean it was manufactured in the 46th week of 2001. Weren't the (in)famous bad lot of HMs and HNs made in late 2003 or early 2004? The "H0146" HMs are nearly 6 years old. Perhaps they are simply old age failures (assuming the parts have been in continuous use and no problems with airflow)? IIRC, HM (like all the other ultra-low impedance caps) are rated for 2000 hours at rated max. ripple and temp.
                              You are right, these systems were 24/7 online and the Affected HM series are from 2003~2004. Cooling/airflow was good though.

Comment

So those caps had 45K-50K hours, maybe more.
                                PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                                To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

I've seen several cap manufacturers that appear to use a 'saturn' style logo. Most of them are bad caps, so it's generally a safe bet that a 'saturn' cap will be short-lived!

Also, the two smaller caps with no sheath underneath the Teapos - are they bulged?
                                  You know there's something wrong when you open your PC and it has vented Rubycons...

Comment

Originally posted by Tom41
                                    I've seen several cap manufacturers that appear to use a 'saturn' style logo. Most of them are bad caps, so it's generally a safe bet that a 'saturn' cap will be short-lived!

Also, the two smaller caps with no sheath underneath the Teapos - are they bulged?
                                    The small unsleeved caps have a flat top. it's the foto. Don't know it's brand either, it has a small sphere/circle on top. don't know where it belongs to.

Comment

Those are Nichicon UD series.
                                      PeteS in CA

Comment

Originally posted by Big Pope
                                        Teapo with Panasonic "T" vent?

This is the first time i see this, so surprising.....

May be Teapo have changed their vent, when your mothwebaord is produce?
                                        Don't know the production date, The bios is from: 04-17-06 DD-MM-YY ( depends on country)

Comment

1. Koshin 2200uF 16V cap do they allways use the ELNA Vent?
                                          2. GINCON 470uF 200V
                                          3. Skywell SEL, UNI-CON 330uF 16V, Looks like polymer caps, it's on a VGA card bundled with Sanyo OS-CONS.
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X