This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Hall of Shame - Badcaps Photo Montage

kevin!: Make sure to clean your computer. Okay?
    Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
    RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
    Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
    - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
    - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
    - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
    - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TechGeek View Post
      kevin!: Make sure to clean your computer. Okay?
      Clean the computer, but what? XD
      Not what you mean, but if you mean motherboard. This pretty clean the motherboard hehe
      This motherboard also I do not have much importance, me use casually, and if it spoils nothing happens.
      yes you mean S.O
      And S.O install no more than one month ago, and has nothing rare.
      Bye
      Gaming pc:
      nVidia RTX 3080 TI, Corsair RM750I.
      Workshop PC:
      Intel core i5 8400, Intel SSD 256GB, nvidia gt1030, asus b365-a.
      Server:

Comment

that quality can not have these capacitors, but I do not really trust the truth XD.
        Sanyo comes from a radio, I do not understand why not its own brand capacitors, is incomprehensible ...

Peace 16v 470Microfarads, I had never seen (what a brand) XD:

Tong Jia (I have no voltage information, I have not had time):

S.I 22v 2200microfarads:

WISDOM 0.33Microfarads 50v (This looks like a clone of Rubycon 90s):

this radio brought me because it is not heard, and I think a capacitor is in poor condition, and seeing what has mounted no wonder not turn XD.

When dismounting go over the radio, I will make a more detailed summary of all capacitors if you want.
        When you have the radio on my hands I will continue removal, I get curious.

Bye
        Attached Files
        Last edited by kevin!; 07-25-2016, 11:12 PM.
        Gaming pc:
        nVidia RTX 3080 TI, Corsair RM750I.
        Workshop PC:
        Intel core i5 8400, Intel SSD 256GB, nvidia gt1030, asus b365-a.
        Server:

Comment

Originally posted by kevin! View Post
          Peace 16v 470Microfarads, I had never seen (what a brand) XD:
          https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...1&d=1469509087
          I think I've ran into those Peace capacitors a few times. Mostly small caps that didn't matter in the device, though.

I think they ought to rename them "Rest in Peace"

Cool radio, by the way. Can also double as a bad cap brand museum with all of those different bad caps, if you are unable to fix it.

Comment

Gotta love these shitty copies. Check these out... "Nihoncon". LMAO.

Comment

^
              Bad they can't spell the name right...I'm assuming they're intended to be fake Nichicons. Where did you acquire those? The source should also be shared and shamed!
              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
              Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
              http://folding.stanford.edu/
              Team : 49813
              Join in!!
              Team Stats

Comment

I don't see any pictures of those "Nihoncon" caps on this page. Was an external image host used again?

Comment

Momaka - here you go: the pix were linked from a photobucket account on post #725. I pulled them to my laptop and uploaded them for you. I could see them fine.

Hanatsu - This is the exact reason why we request all images to be directly uploaded to this site, not linked to a third-party site.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by delaware74b; 12-12-2016, 08:50 PM.
                  Stupidity should be a crime, especially for drivers. I have NO patience for them.

Comment

Thanks delaware74b!

I see them now (tried using Firefox) and also the ones you uploaded.
                    Not sure why, but Photo-foock-it URLs can't seem to open with my trusty old Opera 10/11/12 browsers. Certainly makes one wonder why (more precisely, what exactly they are embedding in those URLs or JPGs that older browsers can't read).

Yes, the source of those caps should definitely be posted here so we know how to avoid them.

Comment

hello i have some fun capacitor pics for ya

#1&2 some bad suncap's from an old power supply

#3 K.T cap in a power supply

#4 some good samxon GF capacitors

#5 fake rubycon BXA

#6 failing GI? CI? caps in a good PSU. (EDIT:plus canicon cap in the background)
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by RukyCon; 01-10-2017, 10:02 PM.
                      I'm not a expert, I'm just doing my best.

Comment

These poor Panny caps...They are FJ series. They are on the VRM out of a Phenom CPU that has never been cleaned. Since the dust is covering the heatsink, the CPU fan was revving up really high and sending all of that heat directly onto those caps, which were already probably getting warm for filtering the output to a 95W CPU. Couldn't find out POH because the original Seagate HDD had a mechanical failure. I would recap the board if it didn't have a defective nVidia chipset.

Attached Files

Comment

Is that board a M2N68-LA? Those 1800uF 6.3V 8mm wide 20mm tall Panasonic capacitors by the CPU are usually Panasonic FL, although sometimes 1500uF 6.3V Panasonic FJ of the same height and width are used on other locations. Not the first account of a failed Panasonic there. Unless it's just the photo, I can see some slight discoloration there. I would guess the other caps on the board are 820uF 6.3V Panasonic FJS and 1000uF 16V Rubycon MBZ. According to these threads, it's usually the one farthest down that fails in the VRM low:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15541
                          https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=46946
                          https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...0&postcount=16

Sometimes Rubycon MCZ will fail there too, and of course KZG on the same board:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...70&postcount=7
                          Last edited by Wester547; 01-23-2017, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Isn't that the single phase for HT, memory etc. controller? That has sepparate input from the CPU core itself. The usual configuration is like this, 3+1 phase.
                            Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                            Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Originally posted by Wester547 View Post
                              Unless it's just the photo, I can see some slight discoloration there.
                              I see it too, and I wouldn't call it slight. It appears to be mostly around the VRM toroid inductors rather than the MOSFETs (although, those free-standing MOSFETs are never a pleasant sight to see either). My guess would be that ASUS must have either f-ed up on the CPU VRM design or they were too cheap and cut a corner when choosing the specs for the inductors.

Yes, the clogged fan heatsink is not good, but that alone should not have made the VRM overheat so badly. A well-designed VRM should be able to handle fairly high case temperatures. This being a lower-end model motherboard, I wouldn't be surprised if many other corners were cut.

Originally posted by Behemot
                              Isn't that the single phase for HT, memory etc. controller?
                              No, that would be the cap and MOSFET close to the NB heatsink (that would be at the top of the picture that Pentium4 provided, under the CPU power cable - barely visible).
                              But yes, ASUS and a few others like to derive the voltage rail for the CPU<->NB HT link by means of linear regulation from the CPU V_core. Typically that's not a bad thing, unless the current requirement is high.

Now when ASUS uses the 3.3V rail to derive 2.5V for the RAM with a linear design (on older DDR boards) and then chains more linear rails to that 2.5V rail - that really pisses me off, because the pass-through MOSFET that regulates it gets mighty hot. 60C+ is not uncommon even with an open case in a cool room. Many older AsRock motherboards from the 754/939 and 775 era had that same problem too.
                              Last edited by momaka; 01-28-2017, 10:16 PM.

Comment

the rubycon is definitely fake.
                                samxon gf is a bad series.
                                Originally posted by ruky con View Post
                                hello i have some fun capacitor pics for ya

#1&2 some bad suncap's from an old power supply

#3 K.T cap in a power supply

#4 some good samxon GF capacitors

#5 fake rubycon BXA

#6 failing GI? CI? caps in a good PSU. (EDIT:plus canicon cap in the background)

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
                                  the rubycon is definitely fake.
                                  samxon gf is a bad series.
                                  yes i do know that samxon GF is bad i was just saying that they were good because they had not died yet

Comment

I took apart a dead power supply [the one with the samxon GF caps] and surprisingly only 1 cap was bad. [in total 2 parts had died]
                                    The 2 parts that died are.
                                    SR504 diode
                                    SAMXON 1000uf 16v cap GF Line

I was surprised that only 1 cap died because samxon's GF line of caps is a bad line of capacitors.

So if 4 of the 5 GF caps are still good what should i do with them.
                                    Maybe i should blow them up.

Comment

Catastrophic failure of a motor cap in a front load washing machine.
                                      Attached Files

Comment

3 Failed Nippon chemi-con KZG capacitors on a motherboard.

[1000uf 16v]
                                        Attached Files

Comment

That's quite poor VRM and the PSU also does not seem to be much good. They must have been pretty stressed.
                                          Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                                          Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Working...
                                          X