This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Hall of Shame - Badcaps Photo Montage

Yeah, abusing the @#$% out of even the very parts will shorten their lives considerably. Muahhh ha ha ha!
    PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
    To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

The power supply is almost as bad as the mobo.
      Attached Files
      I'm not a expert, I'm just doing my best.

Comment

Found this in a DVD player's power supply, seems to test at 0.17Ω. [Basically a dead short.]

Attached Files

Comment

The logo is Samsung.
          PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
          To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteS in CA View Post
            The logo is Samsung.
            I thought it was a samsung.

Comment

Is it a short also with ordinary multimeter?
              Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
              Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

It tests 3.7Ω on my multimeter so i say maybe.

Comment

Yeah that would be, considering the resistance of the leads…
                  Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

Originally posted by PeteS in CA View Post
                    The logo is Samsung.
                    Indeed it is.

Strangely enough, I have some green Samsung caps (SS series?) manufactured in the mid-90's that also went short-circuit when I tried to re-use them on my projects breadboard. Some went short-circuit even when I tried to reform them. And some are still doing okay and show normal ESR and capacitance.

I guess Samsung aren't the best of caps either.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post

i guess samsung aren't the best.
                      ftfy
                      Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Also got a small bag of them, already re-used couple dozen small ones, all hold fine

Comment

Dead CapXon's in a HP PSU.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Here are some capacitors i found recently.
                            #1 Samcon 1000uf 16v from a audiovox radio.

#2 Sammi capacitors from the same audiovox radio.

#3 ZHN capacitor from a DVD player power supply.

#4 JICON 22uf 250v capacitor from a philips DVD player.

And #5 YEC 4700uf 16v capacitor from a unknown radio.

I have some more weird capacitors that i found but i feel like i'm at a point where if i keep posting photos to here too often people will think i'm spamming the thread.

I don't know, what do you think.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Nothing wrong with posting pics of unknown, dodgy capacitors brands. Most likely, they are crap. That said however, were they failed? If not, then I wouldn't put them in this thread. The Hall of Shame thread is mainly for pics of capacitors that have failed (either visibly or an ESR/leakage/capacitance meter test.)

You could, however, add them to the thread, "List of Bad Cap Manufacturers" .
                              Last edited by momaka; 05-23-2017, 05:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ruky con View Post
                                Dead CapXon's in a HP PSU.
                                CapXon was still junk as of 8 years ago. What a surprise.

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                                Those KZG caps next to then don't look that much better either
                                The server probably ran pretty hot to cook those Rubycon caps. I've only seen MCZ fail in locations where they were exposed to heat. That bare Intel chipset does typically run quite hot.
                                It doesn't take long-term exposure to excessive heat for a MCZ (or MFZ) to bulge. That said, at least MCZ doesn't fail of its own accord like KZG and KZJ do.

The power supply is almost as bad as the mobo.
                                Of course LTEC would bulge in a server supply. I don't imagine the neighboring Teapo are in better condition regardless of physical appearance.

As to adding those brands to the list of bad cap manufacturers thread... I would discard YEC regardless of its appearance. I've very rarely happened upon a YEC that ever measured to spec and back in the day, YEC was known as one of the absolute worst capacitor brands ever. So bad that they were guaranteed to bulge on unused Netvista motherboards (and every single one at that). So I'm of the opinion that YEC belongs in this thread irrespective of physical state.

I suppose I should contribute to this thread as well.

Bad G-Luxon and bad KSC (yes, I know the lighting is terrible. I'm not a photographer).
                                Attached Files

Comment

Sorry to double post. Here are better shots of the same failed caps.
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Wester547 View Post
                                    Of course LTEC would bulge in a server supply. I don't imagine the neighboring Teapo are in better condition regardless of physical appearance.
                                    All of the teapo capacitors seem to test ok.

Comment

All the Teapo were in-spec whilst measured out-of-circuit at room temperature? After 24/7 use in what appears to be a SFF (or regular size?) server PSU (probably OEMed by Hipro?)? It's a miracle! I'd guess the non-bulging LTECs didn't fare very well.

Comment

Originally posted by Wester547 View Post
                                        As to adding those brands to the list of bad cap manufacturers thread... I would discard YEC regardless of its appearance. I've very rarely happened upon a YEC that ever measured to spec and back in the day, YEC was known as one of the absolute worst capacitor brands ever. So bad that they were guaranteed to bulge on unused Netvista motherboards (and every single one at that). So I'm of the opinion that YEC belongs in this thread irrespective of physical state.
                                        The capacitor is still good [in my opinion] testing at 5000uf with an ESR of .18Ω.

Just for fun, here's an X2 capacitor i got from eBay. It's a 100nf [0.1uf] that tests at 20nf.

The brand is SR.CAP..
                                        Note: the capacitor is brand new so it should be 100nf.
                                        Attached Files

Comment

The brand is SR.CAP..
                                          They got the letters reversed, it should be: SCRAP!
                                          "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Working...
                                          X