X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Hall of Shame - Badcaps Photo Montage

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
    They got the letters reversed, it should be: SCRAP!
    It was a typo on the company's half.
    I'm not a expert, I'm just doing my best.

Comment

What meter you have? Anyway, why it has so short leads? New caps usually have long leads
      Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
      Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Originally posted by ruky con View Post
        The capacitor is still good [in my opinion] testing at 5000uf with an ESR of .18Ω.
        That would depend on its Vloss measurements (leakage current). Capacitors can measure in-spec for capacitance and ESR but still out-of-spec for leakage current. I suppose it isn't difficult even for dodgy brands to manufacture "okay" general purpose capacitors (85ºC or otherwise). Manufacturing high quality low impedance capacitors, on the other hand, is a much more demanding practice. It requires very special additives and oxidizers, extreme purity of materials, exceptional QA, and precise manufacturing methods in order to make a stable and long-lasting end product. Low impedance capacitors is the "area" where most Chinese and Taiwanese brands just aren't very good.

Also, for a 16mmx25mm general purpose capacitor, 0.18Ω is a bit on the high side. Ideally it would not measure much higher than 0.10Ω.
        Last edited by Wester547; 05-26-2017, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Oh man, wait for that german fool, he'll explain ya how great them Chinese and Taiwanese are Cause some random who-knows-if-real guy in TDK Lambda told him, so it's true, ya know?
          Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
            What meter you have? Anyway, why it has so short leads? New caps usually have long leads
            The leads are pre cut by either the manufacturer or the seller.

Originally posted by Wester547 View Post
            That would depend on its Vloss measurements (leakage current). Capacitors can measure in-spec for capacitance and ESR but still out-of-spec for leakage current. I suppose it isn't difficult even for dodgy brands to manufacture "okay" general purpose capacitors (85ºC or otherwise). Manufacturing high quality low impedance capacitors, on the other hand, is a much more demanding practice. It requires very special additives and oxidizers, extreme purity of materials, exceptional QA, and precise manufacturing methods in order to make a stable and long-lasting end product. Low impedance capacitors is the "area" where most Chinese and Taiwanese brands just aren't very good.
            The Vloss on the capacitor is about 3% which i think is ok because i was told by a badcaps user that if it's below 4% then i should be good.

Also, for a 16mmx25mm general purpose capacitor, 0.18Ω is a bit on the high side. Ideally it would not measure much higher than 0.10Ω.
            I've seen general purpose capacitors with an ESR as high as 5Ω, i'm guessing that's bad, right?
            Last edited by RukyCon; 05-26-2017, 05:21 PM.

Comment

The Vloss on the capacitor is about 3% which i think is ok because i was told by a badcaps user that if it's below 4% then i should be good.
              It would be interesting to see if that capacitor could handle its rated voltage (16V) applied to the terminals. If the leakage current exceeds 752µA after 2 minutes at 20ºC-25ºC (or 0.01CV, in adherence to the YEC SM datasheet), then it's out-of-spec.

I've seen general purpose capacitors with an ESR as high as 5Ω, i'm guessing that's bad, right?
              That would depend on the case size.

Comment

And capacity. The lower the rated cap, the higher the ESR, brand new 0.1uF lytics are in the range of tens of ohms.

Comment

Dead 1000uf 16v capacitor on a capacitor dropper power supply.

Though there was a zener diode next to the capacitor and the PCB under the diode was burnt making me think the zener killed it.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Incredible ripple spikes when the cap feiled killed the zener.

Comment

I may have spotted a panasonic capacitor in it's first stages of failure.
                      I tried to take a photo of it but it's really challenging to face the camera at the right angle to show the the bulging vent.
                      Here are two of the photos i took.

Here's a close up on the cap.

The one next to the NCC cap is the one that has the bulging vent.
                      I will try to desolder it sometime soon.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by RukyCon; 05-29-2017, 06:57 PM.

Comment

That capacitor is definitely starting to bulge. The board is just about eight years old judging by the date codes on the components. That negative polarity stripe (on the failed 820uF 6.3V Panasonic FJS) looks suspiciously fuzzy, but I don't think it's a counterfeit, because... it looks like it was polarized the wrong way around! There always exists the chance that Panasonic sleeved it the wrong way around from the factory, though.

Carefully look at which way the other capacitor's negative stripe faces, then look at that one Panasonic. This looks to be an ASUS or Pegatron board, and those boards are known to have the shaded side of the polarity circle denote the anode side of the capacitor.
                        Last edited by Wester547; 05-29-2017, 08:24 PM.

Comment

Ok.
                          The motherboard came from a HP machine with a power supply fully capped with dying capxons.

Comment

Good eye Wester!
                            Time to take out the DMM and verify ruky con
                            "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Oh yeah ASUS, always has to be special. They're the only in the universe having reversed polarity marking…how many caps I've only killed with these idiots and how many times I had to correct half of the already installed caps even if I've noticed on time SInce than I double or tripple check the polarity is normal each time I'm on a MoBo or VGA…
                              Last edited by Behemot; 05-30-2017, 10:14 PM.

Comment

Dying nichicon VX capacitor from an audio amp.

And here are the dying CapXon capacitors from the HP PSU.

Attached Files

Comment

That negative polarity stripe (on the failed 820uF 6.3V Panasonic FJS) looks suspiciously fuzzy, but I don't think it's a counterfeit, because... it looks like it was polarized the wrong way around! There always exists the chance that Panasonic sleeved it the wrong way around from the factory, though.
                                  Good catch!

I'd say someone probably has reworked the board before and placed that cap in backwards. I see all the other caps have their stripes facing the non-shaded half-circle on the board. So this is probably an ASUS motherboard.

Originally posted by ruky con
                                  The motherboard came from a HP machine with a power supply fully capped with dying capxons.
                                  HP has been known to use ASUS boards quite a bit.

For non-OEM boards, some of the older AsRock boards were also built by ASUS, so beware when recapping one of those.

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
                                  Oh yeah ASUS, always has to be special. They're the only in the universe having reversed polarity marking…how many caps I've only killed with these idiots and how many times I had to correct half of the already installed caps even if I've noticed on time SInce than I double or tripple check the polarity is normal each time I'm on a MoBo or VGA…
                                  Well, in my case, I've recapped more ASUS boards than non-ASUS boards. After doing a small batch a few years back, I almost put the caps in backwards on a non-ASUS motherboard , due to being so used putting the caps with the anode facing the shaded semi-circle.

Comment

Found this listing for Rubycon KZG capacitors.
                                    http://www.ebay.com/itm/10PCS-16V-47...4AAOSwjL5ZB9Dk
                                    Something about them seems a bit off.

Comment

Originally posted by ruky con View Post
                                      Found this listing for Rubycon KZG capacitors.
                                      http://www.ebay.com/itm/10PCS-16V-47...4AAOSwjL5ZB9Dk
                                      Something about them seems a bit off.
                                      They aren't swollen?
                                      PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                                      To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

....considering they're Chemicon, not Rubycon.

Some fool not knowing any better will buy them
                                        Stupidity should be a crime, especially for drivers. I have NO patience for them.

Comment

Dang... I stuck in some crappy chongx caps thinking that running 10V caps at 1.2V should last a while, but I was wrong... they bulged up and need to be replaced again after 6 months
                                          I had one of the caps off the board a bit because I screwed up a via, and could access the pins from the top side of the board. I soldered another cap in parallel to that bulged cap (this probably would be a great picture for the "ghetto mods" thread) and verified that the board once again works as it should without removing the board from the case...

Maybe I should just leave it now and search for good deals on good caps...

Comment

Working...
                                          X