This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Hall of Shame - Badcaps Photo Montage

I guess it is possible for the chemicals in the electrolytic composition to have simply degraded or "aged" after 38+ years (IE, simply reached their EOL). That might account for the failure. If those caps lack pressure relief-vents (and instead rely upon the rubber bungs to vent any excess gas), it makes me wonder what else they're lacking.

Comment

higher res pic

Creative GigaWorks T20 II.

Nasty leakage. Capacitor manufacturer is KFC Taiyo Yuden.

Another channel is working.

Found these from yard sale with price of 1 euro.

[PS. This is my first post, i hope i got it right and this thread is for this kind of posts]

Comment

This is glue that carbonized and probably got conductive.

Comment

Originally posted by goodpsusearch View Post
          This is glue that carbonized and probably got conductive.
          Yeah. Hmm I wonder is there any change that it has broke any other components. Gonna find out when i change those caps next week. Gonna scratch that hardened carbonized goo with glass fiber brush.

Comment

KFC=lol
            ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Kfc double lol

Comment

HONSING

Comment

Failure to launch, barely.
                  PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                  To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

WOW!
                    Were those caps in an amplifier? And did the power supply greatly overshoot the voltage or something? I just haven't seen electrolytic caps launch like that (or come so close to) in a normal functioning circuit.

Comment

Oh I have a good one! A NAD T752 amp filter capacitor let its goo out. Nice amp but the choice of capacitor is questionable.

Last edited by itachi; 03-10-2018, 06:42 AM.

Comment

Samxon is usually a good brand so it's kinda uncommon for one to fail.
                        I'm not a expert, I'm just doing my best.

Comment

The spilled electrolyte from the blown cap looks really cooked. I'm guessing that cap was hot for a long time before blowing up. I'm surprised the PCB cleaned up so well.
                          PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                          To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Originally posted by ruky con View Post
                            Samxon is usually a good brand so it's kinda uncommon for one to fail.
                            Not really.
                            I've seen a lot of their c[r]aps fail, especially in LCD monitors. Only their GD, GT, and RS series are worthwhile. Their genera purpose series, GS, are surprisingly crap too. Even most other crap cap manufacturer tend to have somewhat okay 85C GP caps.

That said, I think there must have been something else wrong to cause those big Samxon caps posted above to vent like they did. Looks like they are filters for the main supply of an amplifier. If they were filtering a linear power supply (i.e. line transformer + bridge rectifier), then I'm inclined to think that perhaps a high line voltage line / power surge must have been the cause. If this is for a device in the US, I'd certainly suggest a house wiring inspection - particularly look for a floating neutral.
                            Last edited by momaka; 03-22-2018, 08:41 PM.

Comment

So far I've only seen GF and GK bad, plus two RS 330/25 or something like that I've put into a chinese router. Was running quite hot under constant load 24/7 with line transformer adapter supply for like 5-6 years so I guess that's expected (these small RS only have life of 3 or 4 thousand hours).
                              Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                              Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

PSU from a Dell Vostro 200 (300W AcBel).

It has a nice mixture of Teapo, Ost and Ltec caps (all the failed ones are Ltec).

The bad caps caused intermittent booting problems, and the harddrive is damaged (extremely slow).
                                Attached Files

Comment

Check if the drive (or the controller) isn't stuck in PIO mode, sometimes happens. Look into device manager.
                                  Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

Originally posted by Ageve View Post
                                    all the failed ones are Ltec
                                    Typical.
                                    I've found that lately, Ltec caps fail even before CapXon does, especially in OEM units. Same PSUs with Teapo, CapXon, and Taicon all still work okay.

So now I recap Ltec on sight.

Also, I second what Behemot says about the controller stuck in PIO mode. I had that happen a few times as well. If the HDD is not making any weird noises when opening files and is just slow, it's probably a controller speed issue.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                                      Typical.
                                      I've found that lately, Ltec caps fail even before CapXon does, especially in OEM units. Same PSUs with Teapo, CapXon, and Taicon all still work okay.

So now I recap Ltec on sight.
                                      Those findings aren’t consistent with mine, actually.

In many GPS-350 series units, for an example (made in 2005 or thereabouts), I found that it’s always the CapXon GL on the +12V rail (or +5VSB) that’s bad whilst the LTEC LTG/LZG and Taicon PW are almost always fine. I also saw a number of Hipro units and QDI motherboards where the Teapo capacitors (SEK and SC series) failed and the LTEC LZP/LZG were still okay. I see Teapo SM and SZ fail on motherboards very often as well, even in low stress areas. I also have yet to see a bad LTEC LZG in a Dell Pentium 4 Newton Power PSU or in a classic Xbox Delta PSU, but I do see bad LTEC LZG, LZP, and LTG a lot in newer PSUs and motherboards, so obviously they went from mediocre to crap at some point (and Delta are simply good at not stressing output filter caps).

Of course, due to the inconsistency of the lesser esteemed brands, everyone’s experience with them is not going to be the same, so I will not argue the experience of others... just stating a divergent viewpoint here. As stated before, I have also seen tons of bad LTEC LYZ in Acbel PSUs (such as this one). I definitely consider LTEC bad (about the same as Teapo actually, maybe a bit better, as I have yet to personally see an LTEC fail on the shelf, but had that happen with Teapo a number of times), but still not as bad as CapXon overall.
                                      Last edited by Wester547; 08-02-2018, 08:00 PM.

Comment

All of that is crap only good for replacing, what are we even talking about? Even if it did not fail for 8 years, how can you be sure it won't in the next 8 years? I'll tell you - you can not.

Regarding drives, I've also noticed Vista for some reason defaults to disabled write cache for newly-installed drives on SCSi and SAS controllers (HBAs). Not sure if 7 does that too or not. With that the drive only reaches about 1/6 the normal writing speed.

Comment

Yes, they are both crap brands, that's why they are in the hall of shame. I have reused old Rubycons and Nichicons that were out of CRT TVs made in the 1990s/2000s and they are still going strong after several years in their new home (LCD TVs/monitors), unlike the crap caps they replaced that didn't last three years.

Jaycar should be ashamed stocking crap like "S.I.", which are almost out of spec from new. The aforementioned Rubycon YKs that I ripped out of a smashed 2001 Sony Trinitron TV were still closer to the sleeve rating (470uF/25V) than the S.I. "Low ESR" caps which even had higher ESR than the general purpose 85°C Rubycons, never mind the fact that the Trinitron most likely had upwards of ten years use before the analog TV reception was switched off in Australia.

Comment

Working...
                                          X