X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

Originally posted by momaka View Post
    BTW, what's the CPU model in that, I'm curious?
    It's a Pentium J2850 http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Pentiu...m%20J2850.html

TDP 10 Watts!!!

Thank you!
    Finally someone who understands what I am trying to say above.
    On this front, we are very much on the same page.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

[lost data]

But I told you before - the "less-than-ideal" HDDs, I ONLY use in PCs that aren't critical to me (i.e. ones that have no data to loose).
      I consider anything written on the disk to be "data". That doesn't mean it's "precious".

I would be more than a little annoyed if I build this Asterisk box (*TINKER*) and the disk craps out before I can duplicate or deploy it -- despite the fact that I won't be the one using it nor am I being "compensated" for my efforts; in fact, if it never gets done, no one can complain!

This, despite the fact that I should be able to rebuild that exact "failed" machine (from the installation media and my PAPER notes) -- if I put in all of that time, AGAIN.

If I'm driving a screw and the head gets buggered, I can easily replace it -- and the screwdriver that caused the buggering! That doesn't mean I'm keen on replacing screws -- instead of successfully DRIVING them!

Copying data (whether it's tax returns of installing software) onto disks is not my idea of a worthwhile way of using my time. Rather, it's a necessary evil that I tolerate so that I can do what I want to do, once it's in place.

Some people actually enjoy "tinkering" with their machines. More power to them!

I, OTOH, see the machines as tools that I use to do MORE interesting things.
      I see them as both tools and tinkering boxes.
      But that does NOT mean that all of my computers are little toys that I "like to play with" - not at all. I don't know why you keep ASSuming!
      YOU are assuming that "some people" in my above sentence refers to YOU. What words should I have used to say: "some people -- that don't necessarily include momaka, (yet MIGHT)"?

I have different machines for different uses. Some are merely tools (i.e machines I do work on), as in your case. Others are purely for enterteinment, testing, and just general "thinkering".
      I have a stack of SFF/USFF boxes under my bed and a shelf full of laptops that I use when I want to "tinker" with some SOFTWARE -- and want a virgin machine on which to do it. (I only use my VM servers for "machines" that I want to save) E.g., the Asterisk host was one such box (needed one disk drive and a PCI slot for an FXO card; I'll sort out if the CPU is fast enough or if it needs more memory AFTER it's built and "characterized")

[My "disk sanitizer" required reaching out for "bigger" hardware as I can only spin that many (60) drives on one of my machines (and I don't want to have to pull them all just to "tinker" with another pro bono project -- let alone pay for the electricity to run the beast!)]

But, I'd be annoyed as hell to discover one of these "spare" machines -- or any part of them -- was flakey and had me wasting time trying to build a "system" that was doomed never to run (due to flakey hardware, underperforming components, etc.)

So, when I pull a disk off a shelf (or a stick of RAM, or a PC), I want to know that it is NOT going to be a "problem" for me to track down, later!

Comment

Originally posted by Curious.George View Post
        I consider anything written on the disk to be "data". That doesn't mean it's "precious".

I would be more than a little annoyed if I build this Asterisk box (*TINKER*) and the disk craps out before I can duplicate or deploy it -- despite the fact that I won't be the one using it nor am I being "compensated" for my efforts; in fact, if it never gets done, no one can complain!

This, despite the fact that I should be able to rebuild that exact "failed" machine (from the installation media and my PAPER notes) -- if I put in all of that time, AGAIN.
        No offense, but I think you have a comprehension problem, my friend.

My "toy" PCs are a hobby, not a job - they are meant to be a "waste of time"... just the same way some people choose to "waste" their time watching TV, playing sports, drinking, smoking, going out shopping, working on some "track" car... or whatever.

YOU are assuming that "some people" in my above sentence refers to YOU. What words should I have used to say: "some people -- that don't necessarily include momaka, (yet MIGHT)"?
        Well, let's track back, shall we.

You mentioned your criteria of sorting used HDDs and I mentioned mine. Then you started quoting me, saying that I should have some specific criteria. This in particular:
        Originally posted by Curious.George
        But, you still have to have SOME criteria
        ... which was directed at my quote... so yes, I think it's a fair assumption on my part that you were replying to me moreso than just a "in the air for everyone" general statement.

Either way, I answered why "I don't have any specific criteria". Then you started quoting me more with more mocking/ridiculous examples of how everything I am doing with my methods is wrong/time-wasteful and why it doesn't work with you... and that last part, I already said understand perfectly fine, which is why I don't question your criteria/methods.
        Last edited by momaka; 03-16-2019, 11:44 PM.

Comment

so yes, I think it's a fair assumption on my part that you were replying to me moreso than just a "in the air for everyone" general statement.
          ...despite the fact that I was replying to Agent24's comment:
          "When you look back, will you wish you'd spent more of it on troubleshooting your own computer? In truth, I used to love that. Not so much anymore."
          Was he referring to "you" in the above statement? Or, was he speaking of the same person(s) that I alluded to with my "some people" reference?

Will you now rail against Agent24 for implicating you in that statement??

Either way, I answered why "I don't have any specific criteria". Then you started quoting me more with more mocking/ridiculous examples of how everything I am doing with my methods is wrong/time-wasteful and why it doesn't work with you... and that last part, I already said understand perfectly fine, which is why I don't question your criteria/methods.
          If you interpreted them as "mocking/ridiculous examples", then I submit YOU have a comprehension problem!

I can only speak for how I value my time/money. As you've said in the above (highlighted) -- my comments explain why it DOESN'T WORK WITH ME.

"Dubious" disks sell for $0.50/pound "scrap value" (a disk is nominally a pound). No idea how many times they may have been dropped or even if they EVER worked. Yeah, there may be some "finds" in that pile... but, how much time am I going to waste trying to stumble on one? (Ans: none!) And, what chance that it will actually prove to be reliable beyond initial testing? (maybe it got tossed out because it has a thermal problem!)

I don't like having to rebuild a machine just because a disk was flakey -- just like I don't like having to replace "buggered" screws; neither gets me any closer to finishing whatever I've set out to do! I don't build sand castles IN the surf. Perhaps these "losses" don't bother you... "there's always tomorrow!" (until there isn't)

I suspect I've got at least a decade or two on you (Q: how many of your friends/colleagues/sibblings are dead?). I wonder what your attitude will be like when you've "spent" those decades (in whatever way you consider as appropriate)... will you shrug and figure you've "done it all" (or, enough of it) and resign yourself to doing LESS in the time you've remaining? Or, will you start placing more value on the time that you HOPE you have, remaining, and rethink your priorities so you can ADD to your experiences instead of spending it "replacing buggered screws"?

[You will be stunned to learn how your body and mind/abilities will change as you age! All of the things that you thought could always be done "tomorrow" that suddenly can't be! "50" will be an eye-opener! ]

(I hope I have a few decades left -- OTOH, I've many peers who've already given up the ghost. And, I know that it gets A LOT harder just to do "as much" with each passing year! How easy will it be for me to grasp some new, as-yet-unimagined technology 10 years from now AND MAKE USE OF IT?)

Hint: I don't know of any of my peers who enjoy "tinkering" -- with ANYTHING! Few of them dare to even tackle new "concepts" (i.e., out of a BOOK!) as they find them too hard to grasp (try learning a new language after 30). They'd rather spend that time with their kids/grandkids, dealing with health issues, traveling or otherwise adding to their slate of NEW experiences.

Comment

Got a BNIB Izod watch yesterday for free (was pulled from a repossessed vehicle in December 2018)
            Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
            RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
            Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
            - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
            - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
            - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
            - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
              Ok, the more I diddled with this, the more I liked it, with a specific task in mind. The CPU is a Pentium Quad core @ 2.4Ghz with 8gb DDR3 RAM in dual channel mode. When I first looked at it, I wasnt sure if it was dual core with HT or quad....but researching the specs, it is indeed a quad core!! Since the Displayport works, that's all I need....I can care less about the VGA port....and as efficient as this thing is, it would be stellar to make a DVR out of for my home & shop security system. The current one is a power sucking C2Q that isn't really up for the task at times...multiple simultaneous recordings seem to really bring it down. Spec-wise, this should blow it away as far as speed and efficiency. The original PSU was a mere 180w if that tells you anything. Of course it won't go back into that HP case, I have a really awesome wall-mountable industrial case for the DVR. I installed Win7, the BIOS is SLIC'd for it (although the COA on the case was Win8.1)....and tomorrow I'll do the graphics test to see if its really up for the task....as new as it is, I think it should be fine.
              It passed the graphics test!! A new DVR is born!
              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
              Team Stats

Comment

It passed the graphics test!! A new DVR is born!
                I've been butchering ZM in an attempt to get a more useful "surveillance system" out of it -- separating it's motion detection, user interface and video recording functions into separate pieces. Then, (physically) distributing them to different hosts.

E.g., I can use low power "front end" boxes to just capture video (RS170, USB, IP) -- effectively turning generic cameras into IP cameras (or, groups of IP cameras!). Then, route ALL of the video (24/7/365) to a NAS. Only the NAS needs to be physically secured because no "records" (recordings) are stored in the cameras or front-end boxes!

Then, separately, review that captured video for "events of interest" -- assited by motion detection routines that are invoked "on demand".

Triggering recordings in a space that normally is occupied (i.e., has lots of inherent motion) effectively renders the motion detection irrelevant -- there's ALWAYS motion in the places of interest! So, you either turn off recording when the space is occupied (and then lose all record of what happened in that space) OR you capture a bunch of video with no "value added" by the motion detector!

We've learned (experience) that having the surveillance system alert us to activity just ends up disturbing someone's sleep. By the time you get around to remotely reviewing the live video and alerting the cops, it's all "history". So, we rely on a commercial alarm service (and physical protections -- like bat-blinds) to protect the property after hours. If someone wants to steal something or vandalize the exterior of the building, we can't stop them -- but, we can sort out who did it, later!

Where surveillance can be a big win is letting HUMANS figure out "what's changed" and then asking the surveillance system to look backwards through the recorded history to figure out WHEN it changed!

Real world example: the pile of laptops that was "here" (on this table), yesterday, is gone, today! Find which camera(s) have a view of the laptops previous location. Mark that approximate area as "of interest" and then let the motion detector work backwards through the recording of THAT video stream to see when it "was changed". Review that scene to determine (using wetware recognizers) if that is an event that reflects their disappearance (i.e., REappearance) and manually examine the video on all pertinent cameras at that time stamp to see who/what happened!

But, you can now do this with whatever horsepower you have available -- instead of just relying on the horsepower in the "video recorder"!

If nothing of interest happened in the last N hours (24, 48, 168...) then let the older recordings expire and reuse the disk space.

Comment

E.g., I can use low power "front end" boxes to just capture video (RS170, USB, IP) -- effectively turning generic cameras into IP cameras (or, groups of IP cameras!). Then, route ALL of the video (24/7/365) to a NAS. Only the NAS needs to be physically secured because no "records" (recordings) are stored in the cameras or front-end boxes!
                  That's exactly what I've done. The recordings are stored on a NAS....actually more than one.... By the time they find the DVR or attempts to deface/destroy the cameras, they've already screwed the pooch....by several cameras....and the footage is not accessible locally....most in these parts wouldn't have a clue, they'd take out the cameras and think they're home free.

FWIW, this system in full operation pulls 24W off the grid!
                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                  Team Stats

Comment

That's exactly what I've done. The recordings are stored on a NAS....actually more than one.... By the time they find the DVR or attempts to deface/destroy the cameras, they've already screwed the pooch....by several cameras....and the footage is not accessible locally....most in these parts wouldn't have a clue, they'd take out the cameras and think they're home free.
                    Exactly. We have footage of previous breakins where the perps pulled off their masks and (coincientally) happened to be staring directly AT a camera. Ooops!

There's nothing "electronic" (motion detecting shotgun?) you can do to prevent vandalism -- short of making sure that every camera can be "seen" by at least one other (so you can capture the act of vandalism on camera A from camera B). Though we've had occasions where folks climbed onto the roof to approach the (downward-looking) camera from above/behind and whacked it with a bat. <shrug>

The unfortunate aspect is the cops don't seem to do much with the video other than say "thank you" and log it in their evidence kit (which no doubt gets discarded at some point). In one case, the perps were caught and given some number of community service hours as their punishment -- and had the audacity to show up looking to put in that time, here!

To a great extent, personal property crimes are treated as "civil" matters (YOU recover your losses).

FWIW, this system in full operation pulls 24W off the grid!
                    No way I can beat that! OTOH, I've got to surveil ~50,000 sq ft of interior space plus adjoining parking lots on all sides of the facility. Treating everything as just a "video pump" means I can put little SBC's to convert the video from whatever (RS170, USB) to "IP" -- without needing a full, underutilized PC for that task.

Additionally, there's a good chance that some theft will occur during daylight hours -- potentially by customers and/or "volunteers" ("Community Service workers" -- folks who are putting in time in lieu of paying fines for some infraction they committed; speeding, DUI, drug offense, etc.).

Finally, with a staff that varies from day to day, it's likely that someone innocently/misguidedly "did something" but isn't currently present to 'fess up when asked if he/she knows anything about <whatever>. Rather than chasing down everyone who may have been on the premises between the last time something was known to be "OK" and "now", it will be easier just to let the system look through its record of the scene and identify points in time that a user could review to determine if they explain that "something":
                    "Oh, I thought those were going to be scrapped so I put them in the 40 yd rolloff"

Comment

So far DVR v2 is running great!! It's fully assembled and doing its thing....but v1 is still standing by, just incase... I was really surprised that v1 was struggling to cut the mustard....but this one definitely functions better. When deployed in permanent state, it will be mounted in an obscure control room. Both buildings have their 'control rooms' for various security & network stuff, inspite of the fact their networks are interconnected, all cabling underground.

...and far more efficiently! Up & running at load....

24 watts!!
                      Attached Files
                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                      Team Stats

Comment

Nice Sencore you got there! Here's an idea: Mod the displays to be backlit.
                        Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                        Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TechGeek View Post
                          Nice Sencore you got there! Here's an idea: Mod the displays to be backlit.
                          I actually thought about that when I bought it new back in the 90's....but just never got around to it. I bought it and the Sencore LC102 at the same time, circa 1994....

Continuing to go through February's freebies since I got a call Friday saying the county collector's office has more for me...but today's resurrection was a HP A6763W, quad-core Phenom w/8gb RAM. I swiped 4gb of the RAM for something else, but 4gb is fine....this will make someone a good web browser. Both the PSU and motherboard had to be recapped.... Lite-on PSU and ECS MCP61PM Motherboard. Case in mint condition, so yay for me, another soul spared from the shredder!
                          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                          Team Stats

Comment

So far DVR v2 is running great!! It's fully assembled and doing its thing....but v1 is still standing by, just incase... I was really surprised that v1 was struggling to cut the mustard....but this one definitely functions better. When deployed in permanent state, it will be mounted in an obscure control room. Both buildings have their 'control rooms' for various security & network stuff, inspite of the fact their networks are interconnected, all cabling underground.
                            But you shouldn't need to locate the "user interface", there, right?

In my case, the "DVR" is just a bog-standard NAS -- no "controls" other than a power switch. Configuration, motion detection, viewing, etc. are hosted by clients that just pull the files off the NAS so the cost (space/horsepower) for that is assumed by the local client... So, I can put a monitor by the front entrance and display a live feed (to discourage visitors from "acting badly") regardless of the fact that the "data" is coming from the NAS buried in the bowels of the building.

[E.g., if I need to go looking for "changes" in key parts of one or more video streams, I can let the 12 core tackle it (or, if I need to look at ALL of the video feeds, I can have several different machines tackle the job)]

Comment

It's a Pentium J2850 http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Pentiu...m%20J2850.html

TDP 10 Watts!!!
                              WOW!
                              And despite having the same core clock as the Q6600, I bet it runs most things way faster, probably due to optimizations and updated instruction sets. Makes it that much more of worthwhile score. And yet you thought about dumping it.

but today's resurrection was a HP A6763W, quad-core Phenom w/8gb RAM. I swiped 4gb of the RAM for something else, but 4gb is fine....this will make someone a good web browser. Both the PSU and motherboard had to be recapped.... Lite-on PSU and ECS MCP61PM Motherboard. Case in mint condition, so yay for me, another soul spared from the shredder!
                              Not yet!
                              That MCP61 chipset is from the nVidia bumpgate era. I've seen plenty of these motherboards die due to that. To postpone the issue, adding a small 40 mm fan on the chipset HS should extend its life. Since the mobo isn't anything special, I typically give them cheap no-name sleeve bearing fans. To keep the fan running longer without the bearings going bad (they will on the cheap fans if ran @ 12V all the time), I set them to run at 5-7V (either with a 47-150 Ohm resistor or direct-connected to PSU rails). Oldest one I have in service is from 2014 and still no sign of the bearings going bad.

I don't build sand castles IN the surf. Perhaps these "losses" don't bother you... "there's always tomorrow!" (until there isn't)
                              Exactly! This is all I was trying to get across to you all along. Was it this hard to understand?

What I do as hobby or for fun is not a "loss" to me, even it seems so to others. There are many things that other people do that I consider a waste of time. But I don't tell them that in their face and I certainly don't mock them for it. After all, who am I to judge what people want to do with their time and lives?

But you... can't seem to sit on your hands - you have to mock people with your wise-ass comments, don't you!
                              I don't build sand castles IN the surf.
                              "there's always tomorrow!" (until there isn't)

I suspect I've got at least a decade or two on you (Q: how many of your friends/colleagues/sibblings are dead?).
                              So that makes you wiser than me and your ways of doing things superior than everyone else's???

Hint: I don't know of any of my peers who enjoy "tinkering" -- with ANYTHING! Few of them dare to even tackle new "concepts" (i.e., out of a BOOK!) as they find them too hard to grasp (try learning a new language after 30). They'd rather spend that time with their kids/grandkids, dealing with health issues, traveling or otherwise adding to their slate of NEW experiences.
                              And? What's wrong with any of that?

I wonder what your attitude will be like when you've "spent" those decades (in whatever way you consider as appropriate)... will you shrug and figure you've "done it all" (or, enough of it) and resign yourself to doing LESS in the time you've remaining? Or, will you start placing more value on the time that you HOPE you have, remaining, and rethink your priorities so you can ADD to your experiences instead of spending it "replacing buggered screws"?
                              Well, that's for me to figure out, not for you to judge me (and mock me). So PLEASE STOP!

This will likely be the last time I reply to any of your posts. Because clearly no matter I say (or anyone else for that matter), you always try to stand out as how you do everything better than everyone else and your way is always the right way.

So I shall bow with silence to your high horse from now on, because that's all it's come down to.
                              Last edited by momaka; 03-19-2019, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Well, that's for me to figure out, not for you to judge me (and mock me). So PLEASE STOP!

This will likely be the last time I reply to any of your posts. Because clearly no matter I say (or anyone else for that matter), you always try to stand out as how you do everything better than everyone else and your way is always the right way.

So I shall bow with silence to your high horse from now on, because that's all it's come down to.
                                You (and "everyone else") can chose to do the things that affect you in whatever way you choose. No one else likely cares if that's a good use of your time, or not.

I don't claim my way is "always the right way" -- except that it is always the right way FOR ME. I make clear my rationale behind my CHOICE of a particular approach/policy.

Whether you or anyone else can benefit from a different way of looking at a problem or solution doesn't really matter to me -- I share my thoughts and rationale only so others can decide IF it applies to their situation. If I tell you that I replaced C207 on a model XYZ to fix some particular set of symptoms AND THE RATIONALE BEHIND WHY I CAME TO THAT CONCLUSION, there is no guarantee that it will fix YOUR symptoms, or even that you have a model XYZ in need of repair.

Comment

A pair of Surface Pro 3's (at least, that's my best guess as to what they are based on a bit of googling). These have been turning up in quantity, lately, so I don't know if that's an indication of some widespread problem -- or, just that they're "old".

But, the better part of today's pickup was a set of 21 Cisco phones. No doubt some will "have issues". But, if I can get a few of them running (reflashed) then I can start piecing together this PBX and actually see it work (instead of hoping it does). Once I have some confidence that this approach WILL work, I can put out a call for other items to flesh out the system more fully...

Comment

Scored 2 CRT monitors yesterday-
                                    Gateway FV/EV700 (built October 2000)- Working perfectly
                                    Gateway VX700(built November 1999)- Had 2 problems- HV fault (wanted to arc to earth), fixed by cleaning around anode cap and had a bent pin in the VGA connector, which I fixed.

I discovered that the Gateway VX700 is actually just a rebranded Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 17" monitor, and it probably has a Diamondtron picture tube.

After some runtime, I've discovered that it probably needs a recap (which I am not equipped to do :| ) and it 100% needs a good cleaning. It's been sitting in a garage for probably a decade plus.

Kooky and Kool Systems

sigpic

Comment

Scored an Wintech PSU

It's one of those 1 heatsink designs. Bad Fuhjyyus that I could care less about as I am going to upgrade the whole PSU - EPS12v, new rectifiers, new caps (I just recently gutted a 300W Delta that was useless due to proprietary format) and maybe 12cm fan case from a "420W" Spire PSU.
                                      Main rig:
                                      Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                      Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                      Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
                                      16GB DDR3-1600
                                      Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                      FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
                                      120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
                                      Delux MG760 case

Comment

Picked up a free Geforce 7600GT AGP 512mb. I didn't even know these were available in AGP. Card works, but has some Sacon FZ crap caps on it....not bloated, but will be replaced anyway.
                                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                        Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by TechGeek View Post
                                          Scored 2 CRT monitors yesterday-
                                          Gateway FV/EV700 (built October 2000)- Working perfectly
                                          Gateway VX700(built November 1999)- Had 2 problems- HV fault (wanted to arc to earth), fixed by cleaning around anode cap and had a bent pin in the VGA connector, which I fixed.

I discovered that the Gateway VX700 is actually just a rebranded Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 17" monitor, and it probably has a Diamondtron picture tube.

After some runtime, I've discovered that it probably needs a recap (which I am not equipped to do :| )
                                          Ha! Cool to see someone still cares about old tech like that (I know I still do.)

Regarding the VX700... why do you say you think it needs a recap? Picture too dark or something?

Being a Diamondtron (i.e. Mitsubishi's version of the Sony Trinitron), I wonder if build quality is similar to Sony's. On that note, I can tell you that just about every Sony CRT I've opened has always had a mix of nothing but quality Japanese caps (typically Nichicon, Rubycon, and Chemicon... though only general purpose 85C series.) If your Diamondtron is like that, I'd be surprised to find bad caps in there. Maybe if there is a section of hot components somewhere, that could be the only place. Not sure about Mitsubishi, but Sony always did a good job to heatsink everything that needed it.

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
                                          Scored an Wintech PSU

It's one of those 1 heatsink designs.
                                          I've always been curious to get one of those on my bench.

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
                                          I just recently gutted a 300W Delta that was useless due to proprietary format
                                          Aww. But wouldn't it be easier to just cut the wires on the Delta and re-wire it to standard ATX vs. trying to rebuild a shady cheap PSU?
                                          Come to think of it, I have a 200W (or was it 250W) HiPro that's in the same boat - it's one of those Dell-proprietary PSUs from the Pentium II/3 era. It's 5V-heaby, but that's OK, because it most likely will go in a classic 5V-heavy PC.

Picked up a free Geforce 7600GT AGP 512mb. I didn't even know these were available in AGP.
                                          I think that should be a 7600 GS (and not a GT). I got one of those here as well. Really nice AGP video cards with fairly low power draw (under 30W, IIRC). They typically sell for over $30 on eBay any day... so you got a $30 card for free!

Given the Sacon FZ caps, I imagine you have an E-VGA card? (or XFX??)
                                          If yes, it's also probably going to need a bigger heatsink. Otherwise, it will likely end up being dead/no-video like the 7300 GT that Dan81 found a few posts back. The stock HS is just about good enough for desktop use. Any load, and they run too hot, making them die over time. Also, they tend to be noisy with those tiny stock fans.

Something like a Zalman VF700 heatsink should keep it nice and cool under all loads you throw at it. And silent too, if the fan is set to lower voltage.
                                          Last edited by momaka; 03-21-2019, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X