Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Windows Vista Pretty Much Sucks

Originally posted by c_hegge
    3. The windows firewall on vistrash and 7 blocks the windows updates!!!!
    Hey that's actually a good!
    They do nothing more than take uncessary CPU cycles at startup. Had them mess up my computer quite a few times.

Comment

Originally posted by Junk Parts
      Does that SUCKOMETER come in sizes to fit Windows Vista and W7???? I already gave the one that fits old Dell PC's.
      Yeah, I believe you could probably get one. People would give you a lot of crap for having though, saying it's not calibrated correctly.
      A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.

Comment

On Jay Leno tonight. [Probably a re-run.]
        Did you hear?
        Bill Gates and Toshiba are getting together to build a Nuc Plant.
        It'll be Bill's first Bomb since Vista!
        Mann-Made Global Warming.
        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

Since I started this thread, it is time to check back in for an update.

Server 2008 (Vista Server) also sucks.
          Hard.

What a notreadyforprimetime pizzashit.
          2008 R2 (Win7 server?) is somewhat better, but still lame.

My DBA partner is buying a nice Mac laptop that comes with some trick dual-boot thing and a full set of XP Pro drivers. He can load XP Pro into a 2nd partition and do the Boot Commander thing and run native XP. He was looking at Win7 and the other shitty choices, when he decided on the Mac dualie.

Comment

Vista is criticized too harshly. One of the things I don't like about it though is that you cannot use OEM keys indiscriminately like you could with XP. This makes it impossible to resell OEM Vista keys with new computers.

Naturally Microsoft and the big MFGs would do this to lock small computer dealers out of the market.
            "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

I think you are right Mockingbird. The small shop where I used to work closed down at the end of 2009. This has hurt me too as I sent him most of the good parts and work that came my way. In return I could have most what ever used junk parts that I needed for nothing. I do need some of Vernon's junk right now. This Dell needs 2X512 sticks for 1Gig total or 2X1Gig sticks for 2 Gigs total. It also needs a video card that can run the Xp Media Center. Until I get these parts I can't make use of the brand new Xp media center edition I have here.
              You know it just sucks too because Vern was nice to everyone who walked in his door if you know what I mean. I've saw little old ladies come in with their PC's that the "Geeks" wanted over two hundred bucks to fix. In many of these cases all it took was a system restore from the backup partition at bootup to set them right. If it took more, Vernon had many OEM software bundles there too. If it needed a hard part all that took was a walk to the parts bins. I don't think any of these people were ever charged more than $25.00 for his services. Now how can you beat that? I'm sorry that I was sick when he was closing down the store. I didn't even know he was gone until after the fact but he did tell me that he was closing the doors soon in the past. If I had been there I think that Vern would have given me the inventory from the store. You see Vernon is a man of means. This PC shop was just a hobby for him. Hell the man lives out in Dayton Maryland and has several nice cars to go with the huge house. I think that he personally drives a BMW, a Mercedes, and a Hummer. His wife has a Lexus, a Jaguar XKE, and a 5.0 Mustang to play with. I'm going to have to take a trip out to his place if I can find it again. I want the XKE...LOL
              So what I am saying that between the bad economy and evil's of microsoft Vernon couldn't stay afloat. Everyone here lost a great asset when Vern closed his doors.
              "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
              Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
              John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
              Rod Serling

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird
                Vista is criticized too harshly.
                I don't think so.

Originally posted by mockingbird
                Naturally Microsoft and the big MFGs would do this to lock small computer dealers out of the market.
                Completely agree.
                Mann-Made Global Warming.
                - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                -
                You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                -

Comment

people pay to have vista removed.

Comment

I think most of the hate comes from people who haven't really used Vista. I have it on one of my other computers, my main computer has Windows 7. I think they require a beefy enough computer to run properly, but after that, they run better on high end machines than Windows XP. XP always has this issue for me whereby it was rather easy for drivers and such to kill it. Vista and 7 seem more robust in that manner, and bring new things such as DirectX10/11 for games etc, and can actually upsample 16-bit content to 24-bit without losing quality. They seem like a decent step forward, of course there will be people woh complain because it won't run on their Pentium 2 with 64mb of RAM and Voodoo 2, but I think if you have the hardware to run the operating system properly it's perfectly fine.

Comment

Originally posted by stj
                      people pay to have vista removed.
                      +1
                      hardly a week goes by that i dont flush the vista virus out of a machine and upgrade it to xp or 7.

Comment

Windows 7 is leagues ahead of Vista lets just admit it Vista was the biggest flop since ME and Windows 7 is MEs Windows XP .

I remember when even MS admitted it by pulling those Vista is great and your just ignorant Mojave commercials. Consumer deception that's what they've always been good at. I wish I saw one of those kiosks couldn't fool me. Then again I bet they cherry picked responses.

I was finally was forced to upgrade to 7 on my new rig and I'm glad I did. Newer games are only supporting Directx 11 like Just Cause 2 and won't run on XP anymore.
                        Last edited by Krankshaft; 04-11-2010, 04:38 PM.
                        Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Vista SP0 was useless junk. It had bugs we haven't seen since Windows 3.0. Vista SP1 was tolerable. Vista SP2 is more tolerable. The way Vista harasses the user ensures that it will always be Windows ME2.

Windows 7 has the same ugly face as Vista but some internal changes make it reasonably pleasant to use. I'll upgrade to Windows 7 when Windows XP becomes unreasonably difficult to use. Windows XP will always be better than Vista.
                          sig files are for morons

Comment

I've been contracting at that Large Chipmaker here in Kaleeforneenah for about 9 months now. We are stuck with Vista Server (the original), and now Vista Server R2. It still sucks, just not quite as bad. Certainly not ready for prime time...

Comment

Originally posted by KeriJane View Post
                              copyright protection paranoia.
                              That sounds more like 2012 and later YouTube!
                              ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Oh man, I remember having Vista back in 2007. That was terrible. I just remember being in a constant fit of rage while using it I still don't like it but it's much better with all the updates. Honestly, I'm at a point where I might even choose Vista over Windows 8.

Comment

RJARRRPCGP, did you really have to dig up a nearly 5-year old thread to post that comment? Like really

And yes, I'll take Vista over the 8 tiles DRM crap stuff.

Comment

^
                                    Yes, and yes.

Let a sleeping thread lie, and 8 is more of a disaster than Vista.

I have to admit that with the 2 service packs and all of the updates, it's actually kind of OK, as long as your hardware is powerful enough to run it. The only thing worse than 8 is Windows ME (Mistake Edition).
                                    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

8.1 is better than Vista.

Comment

8 is waaaaay better than Vista or XP..It will run on a single core pentium machine with 1 GB of ram...smoothly.

Comment

Windows 8.x is actually faster & smoother than Windows 7 and even more stable. The only "minor" problem I got with it is the Metro interface. It looks nice but it is cumbersome. M$ is doing a good job with Windows 10 so far! Vista is utter crap and XP is outdated.
                                          Last edited by pc7fan; 02-26-2015, 06:37 AM. Reason: K

Comment

Working...
                                          X