View Single Post
Old 05-06-2022, 12:23 PM   #9
ratdude747
Black Sheep

City & State: Madison, IN
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz
I'm a: Professional Tech
Default Re: Lenovo T440s Replacement Headphone Jack source?

Pictures:

The "new" good jack is on the left, the "old" bad jack is on the right.

Notice that the bad jack has a lot more exposed copper... not sure if that's to blame. Seems the "S" jacks are good, and the "Suyin" jacks are garbage?

On the repair itself: I was able to wick everything but three of the four shield/ground plane joints (two on the new jack, one on the old jack. I was able to use some tweezers to carefully heat and wiggle the shield joints to extract the jack; the shield bent and fell off the old jack in the process, more evidence of it being a cheaper flimisier design (I straighened it and reinstalled for the pictures). Once removed, I was able to use a pick and some wick to clear the remaining shield hole. Soldering the new jack was uneventful. I needed everything my 60W iron could give... these flush through holes combined with modern lead free solder and heavy ground planes (on the shield joints) made things tricky. Several holes required multiple wicking attempts (where each time more of the lead free solder was mixed with and removed by the 60/40 leaded solder I was adding).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20220504_213017.jpg (199.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20220504_213001.jpg (185.5 KB, 18 views)

(Insert witty quote here)

Last edited by ratdude747; 05-06-2022 at 12:33 PM..
ratdude747 is offline   Reply With Quote