USB inputs fail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USB inputs fail

I have an older Dell Optiplex 960 Windows 7 system that has been running fine for several years. Lately all Usb inputs have randomly stopped working (keyboard and mouse not recognized). I have run AV and SFC and MWB with nothing found. It does not matter which program is running (even in the middle of Solitaire) when problem occurs. Restarting PC does not fix the problem. Cannot enter BIOS SETUP MODE. However unplugging pc from wall power and replugging fixes problem for several days. Where should I look first to solve this problem,, or what actually gets depowered when unplugging a PC that is in the OFF state.
    Thanks to all for being__WAR_KITTENS____!

Re: USB inputs fail

check the inside of the power supply for bulging or leaked capacitors.
    i have seen this when the 5v standby voltage goes to shit.
    dont ignore it - it can eventually damage the motherboard.

Comment

also check your device manager for code 10's on the USB controller
      Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
      ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
        check the inside of the power supply for bulging or leaked capacitors.
        i have seen this when the 5v standby voltage goes to shit.
        dont ignore it - it can eventually damage the motherboard.
        I second this notion - I've seen bad caps on the 5VSB make USB and PS/2 devices drop out or act up. Given that it's a Dell, it probably has a Delta, HiPro, or LiteOn PSU. Many of those utilize CapXon, Teapo, and Ltec caps - none of which tend to last in the long run (especially the Ltecs)... which is a shame, because those PSUs are otherwise well-made. I usually recap them, though. After that, they are pretty much bullet-proof (save for a few specific models that do have known problems - but even these tend to be reliable overall.)

Comment

Working...
        X