A Colossal HDD Failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Colossal HDD Failure

Here's a good example of one: Seagate 7200.11 series, 1.5 TB, model ST31500341AS

It didn't look bad on the outside or anything like that (I put that note on the HDD after I opened it… so there's some foreshadowing for you .) But as soon as I plugged it in, it sounded absolutely horrible, making loud clicking and grinding noises. I thought it might be bad spindle motor at first. Curiosity got the better part of me, as usual, so I decided to open it. And this is what I found:

And a high-res picture (link format to save on loading bandwidth)
    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...1&d=1580607991

Uh-oh… Goodbye precious data! Hello magic “pixie dust”.

I should have known to expect this, though: while opening the HDD, I did notice some black “dust” started sticking to my fingers “out of nowhere”. As I started opening the HDD more, I saw more of that dust pour onto my carpet – and let me tell you, this crap is hard to get off from there. Had to vacuum my floor several times to get rid of the few spots where the dust fell. Also took dish detergent to wash the dust off the skin on my fingers, as it is very fine.

Fortunately, I didn't loose any data, as this wasn't one of my HDDs. It's a failed HDD I got from work. Still not a big loss in terms of data, as the HDD contained old surveillance video footages that were backed up elsewhere (and at this point, not really needed either.) Moreover, I don't even have to low-level format the HDD now.

It's interesting that this HDD still kept the platters spinning, despite the obviously failed head(s). Maybe I should cut a round piece of sand paper and glue it onto that top platter – table top bench grinder/sander! Fitting purpose, given the above images.

(No really, I might actually do that ^ )
    Anyone else have extreme HDD failures like this to share?
    Attached Files

Re: A Colossal HDD Failure

LOL!! I love it!

I had a 15k do that once.... it made a hell of a racket!
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

Yep worst I've seen was a 15k that had dead motor driver IC, melted spindle motor coil, destroyed heads and all platters surface gone into dust. Was stress-tested for a day to make sure it works then a couple of months later it died randomly while idling.
      Attached Files
      OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Oh! That will buff out just fine!

Comment

Screw BSY (that's a 7200.11 ya' got there, had a 1TB model to work with that had BSY), that thing is WAY worse.
          Main rig:
          Gigabyte B75M-D3H
          Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
          Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
          16GB DDR3-1600
          Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
          FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
          120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
          Delux MG760 case

Comment

I hate seagate drives, when you said colossal failure i figured it would be a YUGE drive like a QUANTUM BIGFOOT!
            My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

"Certified Repaired HDD"
              Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
              ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Originally posted by BigTroll View Post
                I hate seagate drives
                I've actually had good luck with their server level Barracuda and Cheetah Seagate drives over the years. Back in the day, they were far less failure-prone than any of the others on the same platform (higher-end SCSI). Quantum was my most hated....SCSI or IDE, bastards would always just die without warning. WD didn't make SCSI HDD's, atleast I never knew of any, but WD was my favoured drive for IDE/SATA systems...and that still holds true today.
                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                http://folding.stanford.edu/
                Team : 49813
                Join in!!
                Team Stats

Comment

I have a similar model: ST31000340NS, Seagate, ES.2 1000Gbytes, It would not spin up, I check that there was drive to the motor, and it was ok. So I opened the drive and the bearing is seized solid.

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                    I've actually had good luck with their server level Barracuda and Cheetah Seagate drives over the years. Back in the day, they were far less failure-prone than any of the others on the same platform (higher-end SCSI). Quantum was my most hated....SCSI or IDE, bastards would always just die without warning. WD didn't make SCSI HDD's, atleast I never knew of any, but WD was my favoured drive for IDE/SATA systems...and that still holds true today.
                    I don't have much experience with scsi except 50 pin drives in my macs and most from the factory were quantum and seemed to last along time however they put some piece of foam in the drives thats flaking apart and killing them now, at least thats the word in the 68k mac forums. I do have one 2gb seagate scsi in a mac that still going strong but is very noisy.

For ide/sata samsung drives were my favorite before they sold out to seagate, always seemed reliable. but yeah the 7200.11 and 7200.12 are garbage, I just replaced my 1tb seagate 7200.12s last month in my camera NVR, both had over 2000 bad sectors and 1 became unreadable by my bios. both were replaced wtih 1tb samsungs with 48k hours on both no reallocated sectors.
                    My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

I hate seagate drives, when you said colossal failure i figured it would be a YUGE drive like a QUANTUM BIGFOOT!
                      Happy to say my 19GB Quantum Bigfoot is still functioning into 2020~
                      Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

I thought there were clock mechanisms (just like the $3.88 clocks you buy at Wal-Mart) that could be fitted to the center of one of these platters. Are they still available at craft and hobby stores?

This clock would stand out from the "typical" hard drive platter that was turned into a clock.

Edited to add:
                        ...some piece of foam in the drives thats flaking apart....
                        Don't many drives (consumer drives, at least) have a "recirculation filter" (piece of foam or other material) to filter the air inside them? Many pictures of disassembled hard drives are on the web. Just like an old foam seat cushion, these filters may be falling apart due to old age. (There is also another filter to allow air to escape when the drive heats up and air inside the drive expands.)
                        Last edited by Hondaman; 02-03-2020, 12:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by goontron View Post
                          Awesome! I have a 8.0 Bigfoot in a 95 rig since it fits right in with the 8.4gb limit.

Comment

Originally posted by Hondaman View Post
                            Don't many drives (consumer drives, at least) have a "recirculation filter" (piece of foam or other material) to filter the air inside them? Many pictures of disassembled hard drives are on the web. Just like an old foam seat cushion, these filters may be falling apart due to old age. (There is also another filter to allow air to escape when the drive heats up and air inside the drive expands.)
                            The filter in this drive is not foam but more similar to a cloth fiber, it is located in the top left of the of the drive above the platter in picture #2

Comment

both were replaced wtih 1tb samsungs with 48k hours on both no reallocated sectors.
                              The new Samsung platter drives are Seagate, IIRC!

IIRC, for drives, except maybe optical drives, Samsung only does solid state drives now.
                              Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 02-03-2020, 08:50 PM.
                              ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                                The new Samsung platter drives are Seagate, IIRC!

*snip*
                                And they suck just as bad.
                                Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
                                RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                                Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
                                - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
                                - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
                                - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
                                - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Don't worry these are samsung drives made before seagate bought them out.They were made in 2009/2010.

Comment

yupp always check the label, RJARRRPCGP. they are samsung labelled drives NOT "samsung by seagate" labelled.

anyway, bigtroll, are those drives u have HD103SJ drives? i luv those cuz they are the fastest 1tb drives around. faster than even the 1tb wd cav blacks. great for running raid 0. i use them on my bittorrent rig to increase throughput and to avoid disk overloaded warning messages on my 200mbps fibre line.

Comment

I had a 15k do that once.... it made a hell of a racket!
                                      Oh I bet!
                                      At 15k RPM, those platters have a lot of momentum. Ain't no head going to stop them just like that. I imagine it looked similar to the one above, if not worse.

Originally posted by piernov View Post
                                      Yep worst I've seen was a 15k that had dead motor driver IC, melted spindle motor coil, destroyed heads and all platters surface gone into dust. Was stress-tested for a day to make sure it works then a couple of months later it died randomly while idling.
                                      Nice!
                                      Your low level format is now complete, sir!

Oh, I have a wonky one like that too. Posted it a while back here... or rather the power-up sounds it made.
                                      https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...1&postcount=50

^ In short, that HDD still works, but has a hard time calibrating after a power up, suggesting it will probably fail soon. Has lots of bad sectors and had a few ever since I found it some 15+ years ago. As such, I never used it much. Maybe 50 hours total in those 15+ years, if even that. I mostly keep it just because its big and cool-looking - makes folks appreciate storage technology a bit more today.

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
                                      "Certified Repaired HDD"
                                      Good catch! I didn't notice this until now.
                                      Probably explains the condition it's in.
                                      Of course, it could also be that after it was refurbished/repaired, it was mishandled with shipping. I guess we will never truly know.

I've actually had good luck with their server level Barracuda and Cheetah Seagate drives over the years.
                                      Same - particularly with the Barracuda ATA IV/V and 7200.7 series. Some claim the 7200.9 are also very reliable, but I'm on the edge with that statement. The 7200.10 and later certainly weren't, though.

As for WD... appears their HDDs are good as long as you don't power-cycle them too much (whereas Seagate appears to be the other way around.) I'm I hard "power-cycler" with my personal PCs, so I've had OK luck with Seagate HDDs so far and more or less OK luck with WD. Had a 80 GB WD fail a few weeks ago. No bad sectors, but started having a hard time starting up for about a week. Then it failed. I suppose that was a good enough warning, though. IME, WD HDDs usually don't give much warning when they are about to fail, whereas Seagate usually do (typically high bad sector count.)

Originally posted by R_J View Post
                                      I have a similar model: ST31000340NS, Seagate, ES.2 1000Gbytes, It would not spin up, I check that there was drive to the motor, and it was ok. So I opened the drive and the bearing is seized solid.
                                      You sure it's not the heads stuck to the disk? Older Maxtor HDDs were notorious for this. I've also seen it happen to a 2.5" WD Blue (250 GB, IIRC.) When it comes to heads sticking to platters, that's where Hitachi shines, as they use those head ramps. Toshiba does too, IIRC... but that's all they got going for them. Hitachi, on the other hand, had/have some pretty decently reliable HDDs.

Originally posted by goontron View Post
                                      One of the few left, probably.

Don't worry these are samsung drives made before seagate bought them out.They were made in 2009/2010.
                                      That's what I have in my "main" PC right now: a Samsung Spinpoint SP0802N. I believe that's also before Seagate acquired them, as it's an 80 GB IDE HDD. And even if it is a Seagate HDD, it's from around the same era as the 7200.7 and 7200.9 drives, so it should still be OK.
                                      Last edited by momaka; 02-04-2020, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
                                        yupp always check the label, RJARRRPCGP. they are samsung labelled drives NOT "samsung by seagate" labelled.

anyway, bigtroll, are those drives u have HD103SJ drives? i luv those cuz they are the fastest 1tb drives around. faster than even the 1tb wd cav blacks. great for running raid 0. i use them on my bittorrent rig to increase throughput and to avoid disk overloaded warning messages on my 200mbps fibre line.
                                        Just checked and YES they are both HD103SJ drives! One is up to 49000 hours now both show no reallocated sectors, both run 24/7 running as NVR for my cameras. I also know the older samsung drives said made in korea which no seagate drives were ever made in korea to my knowledge.

I thought about using them in raid, but the computer is a ThinkCentre M78 socket FM2 lenovo and I havent heard good things about AMD raid so I never bothered.

Comment

Working...
                                        X