This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Hello everyone. I just inherited a ViewSonic vx2235 monitor with the usual bulging capacitors in the p/s. It's good to see a forum dealing with this widespread problem. Thanks guys.

Comment

Howdy everybody. I found this site while trying to figure out why my ViewSonic N3760w is flaking out. I'm looking forward to learning a lot here, because I am not very wise in the ways of electronics.

Comment

Great site. The pay sites can be a pain. I,m a pro Arcade and Pinball, C.D. / Download Jukebox tech. and the sites I,v seen for my profession is full of bad advice. I haven't seen any here. That must mean the moderator takes these things seriously so that makes me very confidant I,m gonna get nothing but good help here !! How refreshing.

Comment

Hi BADCAPS,
          I came to bad caps after searching google for hp1955 and found a thread which I will use as a reference to attempt a repair to the hp1955 I bought for a total of $20. From what I have read so far in that thread I can not see a repair attempt of mine failing.
          I bought my first PC in 2004 because I had time to spare and nothing to do after finding myself unable to cope with digging holes in the ground for a living for various reasons. I dug into rubbish bins occasionally and now am a cool turkey rubbish bin person going clean hahahaha, that was adventure but a little dangerous, considering some of the activities can be done at nighttime and that is when the rubbish trucks pick up thosehuge bins and tip the contents into a crusher in the rear of the truck < I was very quick once and once was nearly enough. The dirt finnally kept me away from pinside the rubbish bins. No I am repairing computers cheap to keep busy.
          I was very nicely surprised after I repaired the first 15 inch Acer LCD monitor I bought for $15 along with two of the same model and have not lost the desire for the same thrill. I pass on my low price aquisitions to my clients, who are few but friendly and that works out very nicely for us all andhave repaired about 10 LCD monitors, 15 laptops and maybe 40 computers.
          I made a few repair benches from plywood and 18 x 18mm wooden stick stuff from the builders supply and I buy and selling cheap stuff to help with the repairs I do. I advertise in supermarkets and I do not have enough things to do and find myself eyeballing the screen way too often, so out I shall go.
          Last edited by nickBcap; 01-14-2012, 08:31 PM. Reason: a little more about me

Comment

Hi....glad i happened upon your forum! I was researching a couple dell monitors[E171 and E173] and stumbled in when looking for a ESR/capacitor tester. I've been in the electronics service business since 75(TV repair) and then into office equipment in 79....been self employed in this since 83 and in the last few years I've run into more of the bad cap problem than ever before....Hope I can contribute some usefull info....Joe22i

Comment

Hi,

I'm David. I used to be an electrical engineer, though I ended up doing mostly software which I didn't like very much ...

Now I've got a monitor that died and found this site. Looks like a lot of great technical information here. It's probably more efficient at current prices to junk it and get another, rather than spend time and some money on this one, but I want to see if I can still deal competently with circuits.

Getting more monitors anyway, which means that for sure more will be failing with a few years and it would be good to know how to fix them.

Comment

Hello, My name is Dennis( Denny) to friends and Family, I live in Washington State.
                While using my favorite search engine..Dogpile.com looking for help on a Hanns-g 28" Monitor I came upon this site and decided to join. I picked up my AA in Electronincs at Lamar University, Beaumont,Texas after 8 years in the USAF in the Electrical Power Production Field. Electronics happened to be my weakest link and the G.I. Bill covered my schooling so off to school I went. Colecovision was my first Computer--besides the unit I built from HeathKit for my microprocessing Class in school. On to Commodore 64 then the 128. Had modified the 1541 drives so we could backup our games. Moved to IBM based computer in 1990 386sx and that started the loss of Funds I am a gamer of sorts and appreciate a good Monitor and Videocard as well as a decent system. However like most, funds do not let me stay on the "Bleeding Edge of Technology". And that is why I am here. After putting my degree on the shelf I went on to work for USA Today in 1984 running a business system for billing....NOTHING to do with the degree, moved on to a Cable Company (now Comcast) for a short stint, later to the Telephone Company now called: CenturyLink where I will retire in about 3 years...kinda like it here. When my montior died and it would cost me around $130 to ship it to Calif. I decided to pull down the Sheep Skin and blow off the dust after 30+ years and put some long forgotten skills to work. So here I am, looking for help from the Mavens.
                My other Big interest is touring on our Honda Goldwing, hoping to travel a bit after the working for a living thing is completed.

Comment

Hey everybody,glad to be a new member of bad caps forums,looking to be working on a few lcd tvs,looks like some good info here, I am rookie elect tech

Comment

hello everyone, For the past year, I've been really trying to learn as much as I can about repairing electronics and I'm happy to have found this forum. I've spent the last decade as an adult webmaster and one man IT department for a small (in employee's) web site and production house in Los Angeles. I'm thoroughly burnt out, in all I still have a passion for electrionics though and I've developed a facination with repairing components after my laptop went south (as in bad southbridge) on me and for the first time in a long time I was stumped. This wasn't a software issue, it was a tangible item, so I had to reacquaint myself with a soldering iron and it wasn't pretty at first but now 1 year into buying broken parts to experiment on, I'm feeling like I am ready to seek some expert advise from the braintrust here and maybe even add a repair service type situation to my skill set.

Comment

Hi, my emachines E19T6W I just bought used is having problems, thanks for the site!

Comment

Hello everyone. I started tinkering and repairing faulty electronics, hdds and monitors. I just got a Gateway 24 inch monitor that has a bad power supply, looking to replacing the swollen caps and the pink resistor that burnt out. I like fixing things, it's my hobby.

This site is cool, Its got everything I need to find out.

Thanks

Comment

Hello Everybody,
                          I'm newbie and I have hannstar 19'' damaged.
                          Tanks

Comment

T/S is my addiction, and you all are my enablers

Comment

Hello all,
                              Recently started tinkering with flat panels. After a few easy fixes I think I may be addicted. After lurking for a while i figure this would be a great place to talk to fellow addicts.

Tom

Comment

Hello, found this forum whilst troubleshooting solutions for my plasma, fingers crossed I can fix it now.

Dan

Comment

Hi Guys, Moses here.
                                  Retired tech, had a few years R&R and now at age 64 enjoying getting back into some electronics.
                                  Not sure where this will end up but currently bringing myself up-2-date with newer technologies which have emerged over the last 20 years since I retired. Currently playing with pulse defulfating lead-acid batteries, developing solar panel regulator/charger, building a wideband amplifier (dc to 100mhz), repairing friends failed equipment, repairing my own failed equipment, learing micro-controllers. I have a particular interest in SMPSU and PWM. The list goes on and so little time.

Comment

Hello badcappers. I'd like to introduce myself.

You can call me Nightstar. I'm an occasionally employed cheapskate with basic soldering skills in possesion of a multimeter. My chief intersests are keeping my stuff working so that I can add more stuff to my pile as opposed to replacing my stuff every three years or so. I aspire to one day get ahead of the degradation curve and actually build something instead of repairng something else.

I've been lurking on your boards for years, but only when I have broken electronics... honest! I'm joining your ranks so I can look at circuit board pr0n and bemoan my woes to the wise electronics experts whom herin dwell.

TIA for tolerating my inane ramblings that are sure to follow.

Comment

Hello there, I am completly new to the idea of fixing electronics, but i recently recived a westinghouse lcd monitor and am going to try and replace some capacitors! That is why i am hear and if that works out (or if it does not) im sure i will be tearing apart some more electronics to "fix" them.

Comment

Hello, My name is Cory. I just replaced my capacitors thanks to this web site and wanted to say hello and thank you. Still have the chirping but that's for another thread.. :P

Off to update profile, thanks !

Comment

Hello all, I found this site a couple of hours ago, and have been reading through some of the posts. I'm really impressed with the patience of the moderators and the thoroughness of the answers.

Thank you for a great resource. I'll be back

Ray

Comment

Working...
                                          X