Gigabyte Gtx 970 not detected

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gigabyte Gtx 970 not detected

Hello. So I think I damaged this board when I was attempting to use it with a riser - my memory of it is not great - the lesson I think is to not fiddle with such things after having the final vaccine jab.

So now the fan spins, but it is not detected in windows at all. There are no burn marks on any of the IC's, having checked with a microscope. The only thing I did see was the look of grimy greasy stuff near one of the big capacitors, also one of the small caps is dented.

So I would love some guidance on confirming the caps are bad (currently have a multimeter), anything else to look for, and identifying the caps so I could replace the dented/bad/leaky ones. Image is attached.

Much appreciated.
    Attached Files

Re: Gigabyte Gtx 970 not detected

I usually don't see caps fail like that on upscale video cards. (at the time of manufacture) Reminds me too much of the dreaded Sacon FZ!

Was it a mea maxima culpa moment? I dunno!
    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

oh yeah definitely pilot error I think is the biggest reason it doesn't work any more, dunno fuse isn't blown on the board, so who knows.

Comment

Check the tiny little MLCC capacitors by the PCIe connector - you may have damaged or broken one or more of them when using the Riser? That would cause the GPU not to detect.
        Follow me on YouTube
        ------------------
        Learn Electronics Repair
        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFX...R8UZ2vg/videos

Comment

Is there a chance you may have connected the riser backwards ?
          See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phuVDZm9-Zk

Comment

Thank you for the replies all, I shall investigate and feedback

Comment

definitely a chance of putting the riser in backwards, stupidly easy to do, can't remember clearly as I said. I'm not getting any readings on the tiny little capacitors, so most likely need an ESR tester rather than multimeter for those I guess. I'll do some reading...

Thanks for the link to the dead core video that's helpful, and quite possible if I did indeed connect it backwards. What may have happened is that the particular motherboard I was plugging it into is a btc-t37 a mining motherboard, which has 8 pcie slots really close together - they are effectively risers. Now I had heard you could use a riser with one of these with only powering the riser. (each pcie slot it's own 6 pin pci connector), as the slots are really too close together, I wanted to try this. So I plugged in the riser, and just powered the riser. I later read that the mb needs at least one 6 pin pci connected, so it may have been this, there was definitely an error code amount of beeps, before it booted, and then the gpu was never detected again!

Comment

also there is no manual for the motherboard with which to RTFM

Comment

I doubt you would get a reading on the tiny little capacitors, it's more the case that they can gt broken or knocked off the board with a bit of rough handling. If they zre all present I am sure they are OK. If any are missing/broken generally the GPU will not detect.

Have you checked all the voltages, Vcore, Vram, 1.0V (Pex?) 1.8V.....
                  Follow me on YouTube
                  ------------------
                  Learn Electronics Repair

Comment

Hey thank you for the reply, and yes absolutely no chance of getting a reading off them, they all look to be present and correct c816 doesn't have a capacitor, but it looks like it never did.

I have looked at some voltages and resistances and got some values but not entirely sure what would be right and what wouldn't be good or indicative of damage.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Basically you can see that each PCIe 'lane' is a differential signal (two copper traces) and this is where the capacitors are connected. You would not expect to see anything much in the way of voltage here. It's a form of LVDS (low voltage differential signal)

Probably the only meaningful measurement you could take here is if any of the capacitors are short circuit , which may happen if they have a hairline crack. Most likely if they look OK they are OK. I would say that the resistance readings you get should be the same for all 16 PCIe lanes.

These signals all go to the GPU so if something is widely different on one or more of them this could also indicate a GPU fault.
                      Follow me on YouTube
                      ------------------
                      Learn Electronics Repair

Comment

I find this site with PCIE pinouts very handy.
                        What dicky96 is referring to (I think) is measuring the resistance on each transmitter and receiver pair. Eg. pin 14 - 15 on side B for Transmitter lane 0.

Comment

Thanks both for the replies, I'll have a crack and see what I can work out

Comment

I hate risers, I was using one for my EGPU setup for my old Gen 1 I7 laptop with a 660ti 2GBReference, one day i was doing some light 3d cad work on fusion 360 and it suddenly froze up and i heard a crackle and smokes, the GPU since then has no memory power rail anymore. Replaced all the mosfets and controller and it still doesnt work.
                            Successfully completed Repairs:

Current repairs:

Comment

Working...
                            X