dmill89
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Harrisburg, PA
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz
Default Re: Thermaltake Purepower HPC-420-102 DF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Hansson View Post
This is sort of marketing speak to tell you that the PSU is of a more modern design and should be able to accept a power hungry CPU on the 12v rail with little load on the 5v and 3.3v without going out of regulation.
This is because in the olden days CPU's where fed by 5v and even 3.3v in ancient days, so 12v saw very little load.
This changed with the introduction of the Pentium 4.
Another way is to call it "P4 ready" or something along those lines.
Now whether the label actually means anything or is just bullshit is a completely different topic
(Well, based on its label it is bullshit, because it has more power available on the 3.3v and 5v rails vs the 12v rails).
Quote:
Originally Posted by RukyCon View Post
I did think it had something to do with being a more modern PSU, but when i saw the 5v rail was more powerful than the 12v rail, i started to think it meant something else, but i guess my initial suspicion was correct.

This unit does have two fans, one mounted in the usual location on the back, and the other mounted over the primary heatsink with some overlap with the secondary, so maybe that's why they used a smaller heatsink, but maybe i gave this PSU too much credit, as i am not a expert at these things and just do these posts so fun and also to maybe learn a thing or two in the process.

Yes it was common back in the early days of 12V heavy CPUs (Pentium 4/D, AMD Athlon 64, early Core2Duo/Quad, etc.) to mean the PSU could handle these CPUs (at least theoretically) and had the 4-pin 12V CPU connector.
It may or many not be more "modern", early on some PSU manufactures had some "interesting" solutions to "shoehorn" a larger 12V rail into an older design (in some cases even just shoving in a separate board with just a 12V rail on it). Prior to this many PSUs had a sub-10A 12V rail since most load was on the 3.3/5V rails. Here's a PSU (a Compaq branded Hi-Pro) from an AMD K6-2 system with only a 8A 12V rail.

This is pretty heavily built for a 250W unit, hard see the markings on the silicon without disassembling it though.

Note no 4-pin CPU connector:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_7672.jpg (395.8 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_7674.jpg (546.4 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_7675.jpg (346.3 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_7677.jpg (456.4 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_7678.jpg (400.0 KB, 92 views)

Last edited by dmill89; 03-11-2022 at 05:33 PM..
dmill89 is offline   Reply With Quote