master hoarder

City & State: VA (NoVA)
My Country: U.S.A.
Line Voltage: 120 VAC, 60 Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech
Default Re: Thermaltake Purepower HPC-420-102 DF

Quote:
Originally Posted by RukyCon View Post
Yeah, i guess thats what i get for saying 'i'll probably be told if it does have any meaning'.
Ask a question... get some answers - that's how BCN usually works.

Quote:
Though i find it a bit funny to have that one question answered 4 times by 4 people.
We like to be redundant.
We like to be redundant.

Quote:
I was wondering who made it, but the UL number is no longer associated with anything on the UL product IQ page, however, googling it took me to this old Badcaps post, which then led me to this JonnyGURU post which has a bunch of common PSU UL numbers with what manufacturers they were associated with, which might be helpful since UL doesn't seem to keep a permanent record of these things.
Nice find!
I have something similar saved as an image/file on my PC so I can refer to it when I encounter older PSUs. Seems like not many people/places/sites are keeping track of UL numbers anymore... if at all. In fact, even UL's website kind of went dead (or at least it's not search-able by us mere mortals.)

I suppose I don't care much anymore either - I just open PSUs and use my gut feeling to tell if it looks alright or not.

Quote:
There isn't really a lot of space to mount any capacitor wider than 6 or 7 mm, since it's in a bit of a tight spot.
Probably a good thing.
I got baited with my TASK PSU and put in a full 10 mm dia. cap in there. PSU didn't like it.

Quote:
Now one thing i have to point out though is that whatever solder they used for this thing, seems to be highly prone to cracking under any mechanical stress, i'm guessing it must be a cheap or early lead free solder since I've head that stuff had similar issues with cracked joints.
Yeah, it probably is.
It's even more sad when you see a PSU use leaded solder and the joints are still bad.

Quote:
I also swapped out some of the tiny capacitors on the primary side before testing, because they were testing with really high ESR (compared to new/used parts)
I don't blame you.
Small Teapo caps always tend to be problematic after a number of years.
momaka is offline   Reply With Quote