shovenose
Send Doge Memes

City & State: Fairfield, California
My Country: USA
I'm a: Forum Junkie
Default Re: Favorite Consumer/Small Biz Grade Networking Equipment

Quote:
Originally Posted by televizora View Post
Mikrotik. More options than UBNT and 30-40% cheaper than UBNT.
The only real issue with Mikrotiks is the ugliness of the interface and the fact that it requires some time to get used to thinking in Mikrotik terms. Although, they have a number of similarities with Cisco.
Zyxel switches are good. I not only avoid TPLink-s, but also don't particularly like them. Most of the TPLink line is purely SOHO and although they work, functions and features are much more limited than similarly priced Mikrotik. Asus networking equipment....garbage...If you even consider Asus a networking equipment brand.
For about 200$ you can buy Mikrotik that you can even use as a backbone router for a medium sized firm. CAPSMAN is not very pretty, but works. Mikrotik AC AP-s with 2x1Gbps ports and true POE are about 60$. So, for less than 100$ you can even create Hotspot and equip entire small hotel with wi-fi.
Linksys - had some decent pieces, but I don't have a high opinion of them. Because I've seen some terrible Linksys devices as well. Honestly, I would rather install ZyXEL than Linksys or TPLink.

DLinks are one of the most terrible devices in existence. Below even TPLinks. I've seen multiple DLink routers and switches that constantly overheated or the software wasn't particularly great and required constant restarts, because the software was constantly locking up. While TPLinks are plain and simple devices, not great, but work for home Wi-Fi and if you are not to capricious, DLinks are garbage and often don't work the way it is expected from them to work from the moment they come out of the box.

Yeah Ubiquiti vs Mikrotik is like Ford vs Chevy LOL. I've played with Mikrotik and it's one of those things... It's what you're used to.
4. Dell Latitude E7270, Core i5-6300U, 16GB D4, Intel IGP, 256GB SSD, Win10, 12.5" 1080P.
shovenose is offline   Reply With Quote