Marantz SR7007 No Audio or Video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marantz SR7007 No Audio or Video

This has been a great AVR since i got it back in 2013, but it just stopped functioning on Sunday. It still will power up and take commands from the remote, and it connects to the network and i can control it via the app.

But there is no video or audio output. i've unplugged everything and tried to send a audio file over the network via Airplay, and still nothing. Went through the microprocessor reset procedure several times but eventhough the display flashes like it was successful, i'm not sure it is actually resetting since it retains the network info and audio output assignments.

It will be $125 to just have it looked at so wanted to see if anyone has any ideas what to look for. I was able to fix my Vizio TV with help from this forum so thought i would give this one a try :-)

thanks

Ken

Re: Marantz SR7007 No Audio or Video

does it output tones for the speaker check / level setting setup?
    plug in some headphones and check for sound.
    Last edited by budwich; 01-17-2020, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Get the service manual ( https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_li...z/sr7007.shtml ) and go through the service menu ( "special mode" )

Comment

Originally posted by budwich View Post
        does it output tones for the speaker check / level setting setup?
        plug in some headphones and check for sound.
        I'm not able to to get into the setup screens from the front panel button and display...pressing ‘setup' button doesn't do anything. So cant try the test tones.

I tried the usb iPod port on the front and the CD analog input on the back with headphones and just nothing. Can't even hear the static of plugging something in. ☹️

It did recognize that i had plugged the iPod in though..and it started charging it, so USB port seems good!

Comment

:-( time to go thru the service manual (that was graciously post.... thanks) to see where it takes you. Doesn't sound good at this point but perhaps a small part causing a big problem (ie. power issues somewhere in a card or otherwise).

There are fuses that can be checked. The fact that a "factory reset" doesn't clear some of the "settings" does not sound right.

Do you drive / use usb type devices regularly.... perhaps you lost the 5V supply which then causes issues elsewhere. Again, follow thru the posted SM and you should be able to quickly get pointed to the troubled area.
          Last edited by budwich; 01-18-2020, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by madan1 View Post
            Get the service manual ( https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_li...z/sr7007.shtml ) and go through the service menu ( "special mode" )
            Agreed, thanks so much for posting this!

I'm able to get into the service screen, but if i hit enter trying to select ‘Service Check' or ‘Protection' the unit just shuts off then restarts. Is that suppose to happen or are there some type of checks it normally goes through?

Going through the version/error display screens i got the ip scaler 1 error:

‘An error has occurred in the i/p Scaler (ADV8003)initial settings. The error is a DDR memory Loopback Test error.'

Will have to look into this more later...thanks again for the service manual!

Comment

Not good... seems like ADV8003 tend to fail ( from other threads here ).. not sure if the IC goes bad, or the solder job... in your case it might be the ram ICs ( bga again I guess )
              Anyway, start with the standard things - test all the rest components from the service menu ( if possible ). Then start checking the voltage rails on the main board.

Comment

See pages 64, 159 and 172.
                Looks like ADV8003 has its own power rails - DV1.8 DV3.3 and DV5
                While DV5 is shared between ADV8003 and Si1957, the other two are used just by it... so that is a good place to start.

Comment

Seems like I could have an issue with the HDMI board, one thing I wanted to try was to reload the firmware but having a hard time finding it.

Anyone know where I can download to try a USB install?

Comment

Is the ADV8003 not on the hdmi board ? See how much Marantz wants for the HDMI board - I've heard their replacement parts come at reasonable cost.

Comment

I gave a local repair shop a call to see if they could get a hdmi board but he sounded like maybe they might be hard to find.

But maybe I’ll try going direct to Marantz and see what they can do...but I still want to try and reload the firmware if I can

Comment

It appears no one can get parts for this thing. Marantz referred me to Encompass and they don’t have internal parts...just remotes apparently. My local authorized repair shop cant get parts (or was feeling unsure they could).

Seems like Marantz is just cutting these older units loose. I cant say that makes me feel I like getting another Marantz anytime soon.

O well, any other ideas on how I can keep this from the recycler would be much appreciated.

Comment

check the IC power rails ( see post #8 ).

Comment

Originally posted by madan1 View Post
                            check the IC power rails ( see post #8 ).
                            I really want to do this but am having a hard time knowing where to take the measurements...and seeing where 🤓

Comment

Post some HD images of the main board

Comment

Hopefully these will work
                                Attached Files

Comment

You missed the money part... show the right side ( when the backplate connectors are towards you ).. there is the ADV and if I remember correctly on the top right side are the voltage rail components.
                                  So show that side and I'll circle you the test points

Comment

Ok 3 more, ADV 8003 is on the left
                                    Attached Files

Comment

DV1.8 - t12
                                      dv3.3 - t132
                                      dv5 - t358 ( which I can not find on the image ).. still you can test it on q3005 leg2
                                      Attached Files

Comment

The first thing I have to report back is, I really need some magnifying glasses...I can barely see the writing on this board. Here is what I found:

T12: 1.82V
                                        T132: 3.26V
                                        Q3005: 5.18V

On Q3005 I'm not exactly sure which leg 2 is but I measured the one visible in the picture you circled and found about the correct voltage.

Comment

Working...
                                        X