This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question electrolytic capacitor from 1990`s

I have electronic devices from 1990 and I know that these devices that have not been used for a long time cause faults and depolarization in the electrolytic capacitors, is it necessary to use these devices in the interval of 1x a month to preserve the electrolytic capacitors from failing due to disuse? are used electrolytic capacitors manufactured since 1990 and assembled in electronic circuit

Re: Question electrolytic capacitor

???

Comment

Re: Question electrolytic capacitor

Originally posted by gamer87 View Post
      ???
      Can you be a bit more specific about the types of devices,can you post pictures and details of the capacitors in question .
      All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Re: Question electrolytic capacitor from 1990`s

Snes, PS2 Slim 90000, CRT TV and general electronics

Comment

???

Comment

consoles are probably fine.
            the tv is a differrent story.

electrolytic capacitors fail with a combination of time and HEAT or high-voltage.
            consoles like you listed dont really cook themselves.
            i'v not seen in a ps2 slim, but it's probably all smd stuff - not something to work on if you dont have to.

if it still works fine and you cant see or smell any leakage then leave alone when it comes to smd caps.
            you stand a reasonable chance of damaging the board trying to remove them.

Comment

what worst brand of electrolytic capacitor?

Comment

it doesnt work like that.

even shit caps can run for decades if they arent being cooked.
                there is a thread for bad vs good caps here if you want to look through hundreds of posts!

Comment

i use electronics device manufacturer 90 years all month?

Comment

You not smart, please stop speaking, you not know anything you ask and have no knowledge to teach you. robot!☹️

Comment

They told me that if I don't use these devices 1x a month their electrolytic capacitors will fail and depolarize

Comment

They told me that if I don't use these devices 1x a month their electrolytic capacitors will fail and depoarize
                        Only posting when sober sometimes works, too.
                        PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                        To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Snes, PS2 Slim 90000, CRT TV and general electronics
                          Older consoles e.g. 70s/80s/90s rarely ever have capacitor problems, original Xbox supercap aside. I'd only recap the TV if the picture is looking like crap already. You're more likely to have an old console stop working properly due to corroded traces, and that's even easier to fix. I have a Tekken 3 arcade PCB (which is basically a PlayStation 1 on steroids) and the caps are still fine - the thing was probably running 24/7/365 for well over a decade before I ended up with it.

The thing about caps dying from disuse really only happened with vintage (read: antique) electronics e.g. paper caps from the 1930s. Of course, crap caps can also fail just by looking at them (and crappy AAA batteries in remotes, cough, Duracell, cough - measures 1.51V but leaking like a sieve), but consoles rarely ever cheap out on caps.
                          Last edited by Heihachi_73; 10-06-2021, 12:23 AM.

Comment

No recommendations for my specific case?

Comment

No recommendations for my specific case?
                              check and replace bad capacitors.

Comment

The reform of the electrolytic capacitor will need to be carried out periodically but I have doubts if this reform can be done by plugging the electronic device into the wall socket, I have electronic devices from the early 90's eg Snes consoles, PS2 Slim TVs CRT

Does the maximum time to carry out this reform depend on the age and brand of the electrolytic capacitor? in the worst case (brand and capacitor from the beginning of the 90s) what is the minimum time for reform?

Comment

The reform of the electrolytic capacitor will need to be carried out periodically but I have doubts if this reform can be done by plugging the electronic device into the wall socket, I have electronic devices from the early 90's eg Snes consoles, PS2 Slim TVs CRT

Does the maximum time to carry out this reform depend on the age and brand of the electrolytic capacitor? in the worst case (brand and capacitor from the beginning of the 90s) what is the minimum time for reform?
                                  You might find the initial post in this thread helpful, https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50530 .
                                  PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                                  To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

any real recommendations for me to use my electronic devices at intervals of time without compromising and failing electrolytic capacitors? are devices from the early 90's

Comment

any real recommendations for me to use my electronic devices at intervals of time without compromising and failing electrolytic capacitors? are devices from the early 90's
                                      When you want to play/use them.

Comment

I can't use it every day, they're devices from my collection

Comment

Working...
                                        X