View Single Post
Old 10-27-2021, 02:16 AM   #5
Askic

City & State: Korce
My Country: BIH
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Default Re: Attempt to repair AMD FirePro

Hello guys and thank you for the replies. I feel I need to add more background information.
I have two DELL workstation that work as graphics servers with these type of cards. The PCs are about 10 years old. About two years ago, one PC started frequently to shut down by itself. After opening the case I saw that fan on the GPU card is not spinning at all. It was stuck with dust and dirt. The computer could start about used to shut down unpredictably. So, I cut out the existing fan and installed a bigger one on the side. It did the job and this server is today still in function without any issues. Have a look at the attached image.

Few weeks ago problem occurred on the second server and I also noticed that the fan on the GPU is not spinning, but this time the symptoms were different. Computer didn't detect GPU and there was no picture at all. So I knew that the problem is different and I knew there was a lot of overheating since fan was out of operation for unknown period of time. (The PC is periodically cleaned from dust by compress air once per year or so).

Anyway I tried to reheat and to re-flow and it didn't work. It was a good and fun experience anyway.

Do I feel lucky? Almost all the time

Thank you very much dicky96, because your video tutorial explained the most basic and important things, such as power pins, what voltages are there and similar. I'm sure t will be very helpful, because in future, I'll try to at least measure the voltages on faulty GPU cards instead of immediately replacing them.
Attached Images
File Type: png Fixed GPU card.png (300.1 KB, 4 views)
Askic is offline   Reply With Quote