Alienware 17 r4 bios chip location?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alienware 17 r4 bios chip location?

Hope this is in the right spot, i'm not asking for bios files just some help figuring things out

So. i have an alienware 17 r4 in with motherboard la-d751p bap10.. Dell released bios for it that bricks it and thats what happened, bad enough that bios recovery doesn't work. Laptop worked perfect until this bios upgrade..

I ordered a programmer and am reading/watching videos on how to flash it, my main question is, has anyone here done one of these and if so do you know the location of the bios chip? (I haven't pulled the board out yet but am trying to get my ducks in a row beforehand..)

Second, i haven't done chip programming before but it looks simple enough except.. should i just be able to extract the rom out of the dell bios file with -writerom (or whatever the command is) and just flash it? or do i need to do something else special?

Thanks a ton guys.. i hate to give up on a $2k laptop over something this dumb..
    Last edited by icetech; 07-04-2020, 09:38 AM.

Re: Alienware 17 r4 bios chip location?

Originally posted by icetech View Post
    Hope this is in the right spot, i'm not asking for bios files just some help figuring things out

So. i have an alienware 17 r4 in with motherboard la-d751p bap10.. Dell released bios for it that bricks it and thats what happened, bad enough that bios recovery doesn't work. Laptop worked perfect until this bios upgrade..

I ordered a programmer and am reading/watching videos on how to flash it, my main question is, has anyone here done one of these and if so do you know the location of the bios chip? (I haven't pulled the board out yet but am trying to get my ducks in a row beforehand..)

Second, i haven't done chip programming before but it looks simple enough except.. should i just be able to extract the rom out of the dell bios file with -writerom (or whatever the command is) and just flash it? or do i need to do something else special?

Thanks a ton guys.. i hate to give up on a $2k laptop over something this dumb..
    here is the location of the bios ic
    Attached Files
    Never stop LEARNING because life never stops TEACHING!

Comment

in programming the bios always save the original bios data

Badcap bios dunp for M17 r4
      https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...9&d=1514565945

Comment

Thank you sooo much! I feel much better about this now .. i searched everywhere trying to find pics of where the bios is on that board.. came up empty.

Comment

you are always welcome...

Comment

Programmer showed up, tried the file above but no post, no beeping at least, but the power LED is showing unknown CPU..

They made this laptop with a kaby and skylake cpus.. think i need to find a different bios file.

Comment

try to find another bios dump make sure its the same with your motherboard model # then search it here

Comment

try all these bios dump https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...51p+bap10+bios

Comment

or if you like you can request the forum for proven working bios dump for la-d751p bap10

Comment

Thanks Dura, yeah all of those are for the 128 chip where this is a 80, must have made multiple versions of this mobo.. will keep looking. and made a request in the request section thanks a ton.

Comment

SPI ROM for main BIOS is located near PCH.
                      OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

yeah, found it this morning.. got it sorted thanks! seems flashing the wrong chip didn't do much.

Comment

Solved, apart from F12 boot . https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=85876
                          Last edited by SMDFlea; 07-07-2020, 01:49 PM.
                          All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

yeah.. close enough honestly at least it's not dead. thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                            X