Sony OLED TV 4 red blinking lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony OLED TV 4 red blinking lights

I have a couple of sony oleds that will work for a bit then shut down and start blinking red 4 times on the bottom. These tvs have thin lines that are probably shorting the panel.
    Any fixs

Thanks Gregg
    xbr65a1e
    xbr65a9f
    xbr65a8f

Re: Sony OLED TV 4 red blinking lights

could you show us here photo of one of them with this thin line ?
    you can located it on the ribbon if its on No 1.2.3 or 4 and with tape hide the suspected line by measure how many line at each ribbon X4 and measure the distance of the line location on the nearest side of screen to know which line or at least with couple of line... then check if the set keep on with black line on screen

Comment

Originally posted by Diah View Post
      could you show us here photo of one of them with this thin line ?
      you can located it on the ribbon if its on No 1.2.3 or 4 and with tape hide the suspected line by measure how many line at each ribbon X4 and measure the distance of the line location on the nearest side of screen to know which line or at least with couple of line... then check if the set keep on with black line on screen
      Here are 2 pictures of different sets with lines. One is a white line on the right side the other is a black line one third of the way to the top.
      I understand that the lines probably can't be fixed as it is in the panel but it would be nice if the tv tv could stay on..Has anyone ever successfully repaired the four blinking red lights on an oled sony
      thanks Gregg
      Attached Files

Comment

you need to do good visual inspection for both of any transport damage . the panel are LG brand and which serial No.?
        one last things to test those sets its always recommend with Video via HDMI or USB pen, or via live TV over Tuner. not to use still picture

Comment

I suspect you will find that the thin lines are causing something to overheat which means the T-con will shut down.

I guess you could see what is overheating (a thermal camera helps, but if not, you may be able to use freezer spray carefully applied), and as a temporary fix, may be able to heat-sink it sufficiently such that it stays cool and continues operating. A likely guess will be a DC-DC converter on the T-con board. It is unlikely to be on the power supply.

However I would never consider this a long term fix because if this fault is causing something to overheat, it is very likely that the driver chip that has the short present will also fail in short order, leading to a large black bar, more coloured lines or total panel failure.
          Last edited by tom66; 05-09-2019, 12:01 PM.
          Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
          For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

well i agree with tom about heating. any overload will cause it. but we need to think there are SOS signal come out from panel self. if we hide it then later we can deal with heat issue. since we don't know which OLED screen serial on this set cant say where are the SOS signal pins but its almost the last 3 pins of the last ribbon. left side or right side, easy to try hide them one side by other with thin tape from T_CON driver side and check what will going on.. this will never harm the set at all.
            Last edited by Diah; 05-09-2019, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Diah View Post
              well i agree with tom about heating. any overload will cause it. but we need to think there are SOS signal come out from panel self. if we hide it then later we can deal with heat issue. since we don't know which OLED screen serial on this set cant say where are the SOS signal pins but its almost the last 3 pins of the last ribbon. left side or right side, easy to try hide them one side by other with thin tape from T_CON driver side and check what will going on.. this will never harm the set at all.
              I have an XBR65A8G with the dreaded 4 blinking red lights. No picture. I can bypass the 4 blinking red lights and get the OS and audio to work by taping pin 19 of 51 from the main board to the t-con (near 'Error Detection' label) or taping the far right pin from the panel to the t-con board. I was also able to update the firmware by using a second panel for navigation. Still no picture. At times when the panel powers on, there will be horizontal red, blue or white lines across the screen or parts of the screen, but they're only there for a few quick seconds.

I've also replaced the t-con board with no success. I can trigger a t-con error, 5 red blinks, by removing the flex cables from the main board to the t-con board. I assume if there is a real t-con error, I the circuit would trigger 5 red blinks before triggering 4 red blinks. Given that the real error is 4 red blinks, I think there's a short in the panel board.

Have you ever taken apart the panel to see if there are any circuits to repair? There are a few accessible capacitors on the panel next to the flex cables but I see no way to explore further without destroying the panel or cutting into it with a rotary tool.
              Last edited by j3scott; 07-13-2021, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X