Range element thermal limiter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Range element thermal limiter

Would anyone know what type of limiter this is? It is used on a surface element used in ranges. The contact i circled is supposed to be closed at room temperature but is stuck in the open position. I can close it with slight pressure but once open, it will remain open until manually closed. I tried cleaning the contact and still no help. Any ideas on how to fix it or does anyone know the part to replace it?
    Attached Files

Re: Range element thermal limiter

The by metal strip is stretched and you will have to buy a new for it to work correctly do not try to fix it because it will not work correctly anymore and could be an issue

Just buy a new temperature control for this stove go to appliances repair service center with the model number and serial number just make sure that you know the size of the element there should be a part number on the element if not just measure the diameter of the element because there are different wattages on these elements and you need to use the right type temperature control for the the right wattage element

I hope this helps you
    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 12-14-2021, 08:49 PM.
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply
    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

A radiant surface heating element has two switches:
      A limiter-thermostat that regulates the element max. temperature to protect the glass ceramic glass cooktop from overheating. It's the smaller switch and is calibrated by the small setscrew. Because of this, the switch comes with the whole heating element assembly. They can't really split that up.

Second is a high-high temperature safety switch which is the one giving you a hard time. The safety switch might latch, once tripped that's it, do not burn down the house?
      The high-high limit switch can false trip if it's getting heat from poor contacts or the crimp connectors at the wires can also heat it up. Your switch contracts look not great, they seem to be touching only at the corner - which means high resistance and they will get hot when current flows through them, which can make the switch trip. It's supposed to get pressed by the white plunger poking it.

You can try to get the contacts to mate flat. These things are finicky and a constant hassle to monkey with. I don't have the patience.

Comment

So the two replies are kind of conflicting each other. If this switch quits, does the whole element have to be replaced?

Comment

Not the element just the temperature control
          9 PC LCD Monitor
          6 LCD Flat Screen TV
          1 Dell Mother Board
          15 Computer Power Supply

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

Comment

They are sold as an assembly- the heating element, limit switch, and ceramic base. Example:
            https://www.amresupply.com/catalog/E...ce-632517-AD1C
            https://www.appliancepartspros.com/g...ap4345739.html

Comment

Originally posted by redwire View Post
              They are sold as an assembly- the heating element, limit switch, and ceramic base. Example:
              https://www.amresupply.com/catalog/E...ce-632517-AD1C
              https://www.appliancepartspros.com/g...ap4345739.html
              Right. When i said element i meant the whole thing. Ok i was thinking i could find the limit switch on alieexpress or something like that but im not seeing anything. It looks like the limit switch would come off pretty easy. I was wanting to salvage the element and the base because it's brand new and the assembly didnt even work from the start when the stove was first purchased.

Comment

Just make sure that when you go to take off the control that hold the terminal ( with a wrench or an adjustable wrench ) goes into the element or you will break the ceramic housing the element terminals which breaks very easily
                Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 12-16-2021, 08:39 AM.
                9 PC LCD Monitor
                6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                1 Dell Mother Board
                15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Post #1 shows a crack in the ceramic rim where the rod goes through, we don't know the history but OP says it's new so I would have gone after warranty. Somebody was rough on it.
                  At the center, the rod seems crimped in-place. Not sure how to remove the switch but I find these things are not repairable anyway.
                  Because it has a safety function and needs calibration for the limiter temperature, I think manufacturers just sell it as an entire assembly.

Comment

Post #1 shows a crack in the ceramic rim where the rod goes through, we don't know the history but OP says it's new so I would have gone after warranty. Somebody was rough on it.
                    At the center, the rod seems crimped in-place. Not sure how to remove the switch but I find these things are not repairable anyway.
                    Because it has a safety function and needs calibration for the limiter temperature, I think manufacturers just sell it as an entire assembly.
                    Are these units the newer versions or the older version because the older version that I have seen was made a little different
                    9 PC LCD Monitor
                    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                    1 Dell Mother Board
                    15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Many of these range heating elements are designed by E.G.O. who's getting them made in china. Haier US with GE, another mega-conglomerate appliance manufacturer as well.
                      Apparently the limit-thermostat keeps max to around 350°C and above 400°C trips the nuke meltdown switch.

Which part are you thinking is a newer design?

Comment

The device that is mounted on the element
                        9 PC LCD Monitor
                        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                        1 Dell Mother Board
                        15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

It was replaced under warranty. I was just seeing if it was salvageable for a backup. Sounds like im better off throwing it in the dump.

Comment

Working...
                          X