Cap availability problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cap availability problems

I'm hard at work recapping some faulty ATX PSUs.

I'm rapidly depleting my stocks of PSU appropriate capacitors. I would like to use UCC KY series but can't find 2200uf in 10mm can diameter. Mostly I am replacing bulged TEAPO SE(Green) and TEAPO SEK (Brown) 2200uf 10v 10mmx20mm.

I have a few Rubycon ZL and Rubycon YXG in this size but these need reforming.

I had to use 3 UCC KMG caps, they seem to work fine, but not exactly sure. Some of the Data Sheets do not give detailed ripple current and ESR data for comparison.

Any used caps that I have I will be reforming as per momaka's excellent thread here:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50530

I've been measuring capacitance and ESR of my used caps. All the TEAPOs and GLuxon and SACON were garbage. Surprising to me was that every JACKCON cap I tested was extremely close to the rated cap value and the ESR values were no worse than the major brands. I removed these from old ABIT Socket 462 boards! Go figure.

Anyone have any suggestions for sources and/or substitutions for the PSU capacitors?

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50530

Re: Cap availability problems

panasonic FR does 2200uf 10v in 10mm x 25mm
    EEUFR1A222L( )

Comment

Thanks for this. I found them on Mouser.ca and also UCC KY series.

Comment

Why don't you put 3300/6,3 in there? I don't even trouble myself by stocking 2200 uF, it's worthless.
        Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
        Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Originally posted by bigbeark View Post
          Thanks for this. I found them on Mouser.ca and also UCC KY series.
          Rubycon YXJ and ZLH series are also available in that size.

I like the YXJ for entry-level low-ESR, like replacing those Teapo SEK caps. Such entry-level low-ESR caps are usually employed in PSUs with older half-bridge design.

On the other hand, ZLH is quite low-ESR - about on par with Panny FR/FM and FS and better than UCC KZE (i.e. closer to KZH). These I use for 3.3V rails with mag-amp circuits and 5VSB. If the PSU uses a newer design (i.e. NOT half-bridge), I sometimes use these on the 5V rail too.

Of course there are many other choices too. Here's a (slightly outdated but still relevant) list of low-ESR caps generally suitable for PSU use:
          https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...22&postcount=9
          (Missing from that list: Panasonic FS, Nichicon HV, Rubycon YXF, Rubycon ZLQ, Rubycon ZLH... and maybe a few others I can't remember right now.)

Originally posted by bigbeark
          Some of the Data Sheets do not give detailed ripple current and ESR data for comparison.
          That would be the case for general-purpose non-low ESR caps - they'll only give you the cap size and low-frequency (typically 120 Hz) ripple current.

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
          Why don't you put 3300/6,3 in there? I don't even trouble myself by stocking 2200 uF, it's worthless.
          I guess if you have them.
          The 2200 uF are cheaper... unless one does like you and buys a ton of the better stuff in bulk.
          Last edited by momaka; 02-25-2021, 02:58 AM.

Comment

How much, like 5c? Yo kidding right?
            Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
            Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Working...
            X