Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MacBook Air 13” 2015 A1466 820-00165

Hi everyone,

I have a MacBook Air 13” 2015 A1466 820-00165 that started out booting to apple logo and would try to load then would just reboot . Now the fan is the only thing that will work but it spins and stops and maybe once every so often will stay spinning. The battery will charge and turn green from orange . The hard drive and processor will get pretty hot . I really can't see anything burned out and it never had liquid damage . I tried all the hot keys that where suppose to get it running with no success. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Re: MacBook Air 13” 2015 A1466 820-00165

hi.

1) the hard drive on this model is solid state so you are referencing the SSD stick ? It may be warm but cannot see it being hot. Do you no longer see the display working with the usual boot logo and desktop ? The CPU may get hot if the cooling fan is not working or CPU heatsink compound is dry due to age. The heatsink for the CPU should also have a good contact with the CPU topside to allow for the proper heat dissipation.

2) consider to power down and remove the SSD from the mating slot and power up again. Does this allow for the system to boot to display the flashing folder graphics ?

3) next, power down and remove the keyboard and keyboard light from the logic board. Power up -> this should allow for the CPU fan to spin and the logic board should boot normally. What are the results ? Have seen where the trackpad caused excessive heating of the logic board. The trackpad had to be replaced. When you disconnect the keyboard cable, the trackpad is also removed from the equation as they are daisy chained together.

4) be sure that the LCD display cable (LVDS) is properly seated inside the logic board connector. If you do not see a backlight, allow for the system to boot normally and place a flashlight on the backside of the display -> now are you able to see any of the usual graphics ? If yes, the backlight is not working.

Comment

try to restore your macbook sir

Comment

Originally posted by mon2 View Post
        hi.

1) the hard drive on this model is solid state so you are referencing the SSD stick ? It may be warm but cannot see it being hot. Do you no longer see the display working with the usual boot logo and desktop ? The CPU may get hot if the cooling fan is not working or CPU heatsink compound is dry due to age. The heatsink for the CPU should also have a good contact with the CPU topside to allow for the proper heat dissipation.

2) consider to power down and remove the SSD from the mating slot and power up again. Does this allow for the system to boot to display the flashing folder graphics ?

3) next, power down and remove the keyboard and keyboard light from the logic board. Power up -> this should allow for the CPU fan to spin and the logic board should boot normally. What are the results ? Have seen where the trackpad caused excessive heating of the logic board. The trackpad had to be replaced. When you disconnect the keyboard cable, the trackpad is also removed from the equation as they are daisy chained together.

4) be sure that the LCD display cable (LVDS) is properly seated inside the logic board connector. If you do not see a backlight, allow for the system to boot normally and place a flashlight on the backside of the display -> now are you able to see any of the usual graphics ? If yes, the backlight is not working.

Sorry , Yes the SSD stick . It seems to get hotter than normal . No I don't see the boot up logo anymore. I also did try booting with ssd stick out and that did not help . I will have to give your questions 3 and 4 a try when I put the logic board back in the laptop . I had it out inspecting for any damage. I will post back what happens .

Thank you

Comment

[QUOTE=jhayar18;1077349]try to restore your macbook sir[/QUOTE

Wasn't able to do the restore . Nothing happens .

Thank you

Comment

Thanks mon2 . I tried everything in your post but nothing helped . I have the battery out and the mag safe light goes to green to orange and the fan has been staying on but nothing else happens. Any more ideas ?

Thanks

Comment

So now the fan is no longer pulsing on /off ? Stays on?

Power down and attach the display. Power up. Does the fan turn on and remain on till you remove the magsafe adapter? For this test, do not attach the keyboard or trackpad. No ssd either. No battery, adapter only.

Once the fan is confirmed to be on, allow the logic board to boot and apply a flashlight behind the lcd display (around the apple logo on the screen lid).

Do you see the flashing file folder graphics icon?

Comment

Originally posted by mon2 View Post
                So now the fan is no longer pulsing on /off ? Stays on?

Power down and attach the display. Power up. Does the fan turn on and remain on till you remove the magsafe adapter? For this test, do not attach the keyboard or trackpad. No ssd either. No battery, adapter only.

Once the fan is confirmed to be on, allow the logic board to boot and apply a flashlight behind the lcd display (around the apple logo on the screen lid).

Do you see the flashing file folder graphics icon?

Yes the fan powers up and remains on . The mag safe light is orange the fans running . I never seem to get a chime either and I don't see any folders with the flash light shining in apple logo.

Comment

[QUOTE=Dale65;1077873]Yes the fan powers up and remains on . The mag safe light is orange the fans running . I never seem to get a chime either and I don't see any folders with the flash light shining in apple logo. I did find out if I have the keyboard connected the fan does continuously run but at a slower rpm's . Disconnected it runs at a lot faster. But not folders or chimes .

Comment

1) Is the CPU running cooler with the keyboard not connected? For now, leave the keyboard disconnected.

2) Voltage readings for:

(with the LCD connected)

a) SMBUS_SMC_0_S0_SDA

b) SMBUS_SMC_0_S0_SCL

c) PP3V3_S0SW_LCD

d) PP3V3_S0SW_LCD_UF

e) PPHV_S0SW_LCDBKLT

Comment

If machine doesn't POST there's no point in troubleshooting image/backlight…
                      OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

The magsafe light is orange with the system is POSTing and there is single wire communication with the Dallas authentication device.

Comment

There's no relationship at all between POST and 1-wire circuit.
                          OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Working...
                          X