Old 12-18-2019, 06:26 PM   #4
momaka
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: VA (NoVA)
My Country: U.S.A.
Line Voltage: 120 VAC, 60 Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech
Default Re: How To Stop CRT Flicker

Or you can use software like RivaTuner, PowerStrip, or MSI Afterburner (I think!) to set a custom resolution with a custom refresh rate, as some monitors (particularly BNC-connected ones) will always default to 60 Hz (especially in Windows XP and older.) If using a relatively new GPU (anything made after the mid-2000), both nVidia and ATI include options in their software to override the default resolutions and refresh rates. But like you said, check what your monitor is capable of so to make things easier (and possibly save a cheap/old monitor from going bad if it doesn't have any proper protections.) That said, even most cheap CRT monitors tend to have protection again over-scanning. But constantly getting an "out of range" error can get annoying after a while.

On the topic of refresh rates... I always try to run my CRTs @ 85 Hz. I'll drop the resolution if I have to, just to keep the refresh rate at 85 Hz. Sure I can tolerate 75 Hz and even 72, but the flicker is noticeable and does cause a little more strain on my eyes. At 85 Hz, I can be using my monitors all day and not have any issues at all.

Also, for games that can keep up their FPS above the refresh rate of the monitor, I find that 60 Hz looks quite smooth, but still not 100% seamless, regardless if I have v-sync on or off. At 75 Hz, things look better. And at 85 Hz with full v-sync... on a CRT... games are smooth like molten butter. I'd say probably equivalent to an LCD @ 120 Hz. And even without v-sync, things still look good on a CRT without tearing, unlike on LCDs. Hence why I still game on my CRTs. As bonus, I also don't need to use anti-aliasing, since CRTs naturally have non-square pixels and thus smooth "pixel" edges.

Last edited by momaka; 12-18-2019 at 06:39 PM..
momaka is offline   Reply With Quote