Adding Passive PFC coil to PSU?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding Passive PFC coil to PSU?

So I want to swap another PSU into this unique case that has had the original guts fail. The PSU case was designed for a PPFC coil, so I'd like to incorporate it into the drop in.

So I really can't remember. Can't you just drop in the PPFC coil? Most PCBs are labeled for them but I really can't remember. There isn't any circuitry that needs to be added? The one in question has a polypropylene capacitor attached to it:

Would I just install this where the circled jumper is?

How much does the coil improve the PFC %, realistically?

I will make a separate thread for the case replacement.
    Attached Files

Re: Adding Passive PFC coil to PSU?

Yes it is as easy as you theorized.
    The PF will increase from ca 0.5 to around 0.7 if you add PFC.
    Here are some more details: https://www.silverstonetek.com/techt...h_pfc&area=usa
    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Thanks for the link! Definitely worth it since it doesn't cost anything. It's already got the screw holes to hold it in place as well.

Do I install it at the circled jumper, or do I need to post an overhead shot and/or the bottom solder side?

Comment

The intent is that the circled jumper is removed and then there should be a connector populated in the square of that silkscreen that your coil connects to.
        Both ways would of course work fine, just verify what I say when you look under the board...
        "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Do I need a connector, or is it just preferred? I don't think I have that size, so I may need to just solder it straight to the board.

Here is the bottom of the board that the PPFC coil is originally in. This PSU was set at 230V only, does that mean the coil would be in a different place than it would be if it was 115V only? I do plan on permanently setting the replacement PSU to 115V. I will post pictures of that one shortly.
          Attached Files

Comment

Here is the PSU that I would like to put the PPFC coil into:

Side question: I'm fairly certain but since I've been out of electronics for a while, I want to be sure. The yellow line is going to each of the points where the voltage selector switch goes into the PCB. If I want this to be 115V permanently, is this where I would put a wire?
            Attached Files

Comment

The connector is optional of course, a directly soldered wire will always be more reliable if done well, coil will be the same for 115 vs 230v.
              ---
              Yes that looks to be right, easy enough to verify with a multimeter in continuity mode.
              Just measure when you close the switch to confirm your idea.

Comment

Good to know so you think that I should be able to install the coil at that jumper and it should work? I want to be sure before I try. I don't have access to PSUs like I used to so they're more difficult to come by for me these days lol

Comment

Okay so it turns out the replacement PSU won't work, the PCB is too big I have a Macron MPT-301 and another PSU. The Macron doesn't have any PFC markings at all but the other PSU does.

However, there is something that I noticed from looking at other PPFC PSUs online. Some of them have a white and black wire, as well as markings for IN and OUT. Are these for N and L? Does it matter, because this PPFC coil only has two black wires.

Comment

No I don't think it matters, it is just a coil, not a transformer.

Comment

Working...
                    X