Pentium FDIV bug did not affect the K5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pentium FDIV bug did not affect the K5

Based on available information, the Intel Pentium FDIV bug did not affect the AMD K5 compatible - it seems that AMD implemented things a bit differently to Intel at the time (and still does as of today).

Has it also affected other Pentium-compatible processors? So far, I've seen Pentium-compatibles (code and pin) not just from AMD, but also from ST/IDT/IBM/Cyrix.
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Re: Pentium FDIV bug did not affect the K5

The pentium pro was the last affected by this.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_FDIV_bug

I would imagine most of the defective chips have been replaced or disposed of by now. I never had a chip with FDIV - my P100 and PPro (socket 8) chips do not have the bug, nor does my K6-233.

Comment

I only heard of the "FDIV" bug on consumer Pentiums, on 100s and before.

133s and 166s not affected, according to Intel, IIRC.

It sure gives me the strange feeling that Intel rushed the chips for the general consumers, hoping that people won't find out!
        Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 07-03-2020, 07:43 PM.
        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
          I only heard of the "FDIV" bug on consumer Pentiums, on 100s and before.

133s and 166s not affected, according to Intel, IIRC.

It sure gives me the strange feeling that Intel rushed the chips for the general consumers, hoping that people won't find out!
          Yep. Only on the older ones along with some of the 486OD's

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentiu...ffected_models
          sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

yea it looks like intel wanted to be the first to rush out the world's first 100 mhz chip. similar to how later, there was a 1 ghz rush between intel and amd to get the world's first 1 ghz chip. intel repeated their folly again with the spectre and meltdown bugs to boost performance. a leopard never changes its spots!

Comment

That bug looks worse than Spectre and Meltdown.
              ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

TBH meltdown/spectre and their related bugs are "unintended use" of the CPU and there was really no way to know about it until one really thinks about it. The computer never does anything "wrong" -- just discloses information it shouldn't. Unintended consequences - they never described this behavior explicitly, rather it was behavior that was explicitly undefined...until it was noticed it was stealing information.

The F00F bug was pure stupidity (though easily worked around), and FDIV was also something they should have caught but didn't. Both of these are "doing the absolutely wrong thing" and "not as described" behavior.

I suppose intel deserves the big target painted on its back for being the biggest...

Comment

Working...
                X