Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are we losing confidence in Nichicon capacitors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are we losing confidence in Nichicon capacitors?

We have all heard about the Dell GX270 boards with bulging Nichicon capacitors.
    Next, there is a Medion system with bulging Nichicon capacitors.
    Nichicon has been in the industry since 1950.

Are we losing confidence in Nichicon low-ESR electrolytics?
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Re: Are we losing confidence in Nichicon capacitors?

This issue was due to one of two factors, both affecting the HM, HN series. A certain shift at Nichicon's Hong Kong plant was found to be over-filling the caps with electrolyte, thus causing their early failure. In an unrelated incident, some SARS disinfectants were found to harm the caps. I personally would use Nichicon, but have found a better price on ChemiCon KZE.
    The great capacitor showdown!

Comment

The company I work for - not in the computer biz - uses Nichicon a lot, though not the HM or HN series (we use 35V and higher, and those series don't go that high). In my testing, I see PR, PJ, PW, LXV, and LXZ as peers. FC doesn't fare as well, and PM (PL) does even worse. My testing is well beyond the parts' ratings, though. HE, KZE, and ZL have endured very well, and I see them as peers; YXG and FM haven't done as well as ZL, et al, but still much better than PW, et al. HE (and similar), KZE (and similar), FM, and most Rubycons use a different electrolyte technology than do PR, PJ, PW, FC, LXV, LXY, and LXZ, and are lower impedance (sometimes called "ultra-low impedance").
      PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
      To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Hello. I don't think we're losing confidence in Nichicon capacitors. Nichicons can bulge as much as they want in Dells, and I'll still have confidence in their superiority in today's markets because they rarely fail else where.

Comment

I've only seen the HM and HN series nichi's fail. The PL and PM series are still very high on my ranks of good caps. Just avoid the HM and HN series caps.

Rubycon is by far my favorite brand though.
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
          Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
          http://folding.stanford.edu/
          Team : 49813
          Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

PM is basically lead-free PL.
            PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
            To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

I like to use the HE's because of the high life.

What is interesting is that higher life values occur if you can use higher than 10v or larger than 10mm diameter.

(and Digikey stocks them)

Comment

Working...
              X