4700uF 6.3v and 3300uF 16v in a 10mm Diameter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4700uF 6.3v and 3300uF 16v in a 10mm Diameter

Where can I get them these days? My usual sources are a no go in a 10mm, 12.5mm is too big. I'm recapping an old Antec rackmount PSU for a client (SmartPower SP2-450SXR) with a bunch of spooged Fuhjyyu crap caps, and he's insisting it be repaired....which is fine by me, I make more on it that way.....but I need to find these illusive caps....it's been a long time since I've needed these values....and now I can't find them. Odds are I could get away with 3300uf in place of the 4700uF, I've done it before...but if there's a source for them in 10mm, I'll try to stay original.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Re: 4700uF 6.3v and 3300uF 16v in a 10mm Diameter

I like ZLQ's for a lot of things.
    https://www.digikey.com/en/products/...C10X25/6049993
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Ryzen 3600x
    16GB Patriot 3600MHz
    MSI B450 Gaming Plus
    MSI Air Boost Vega 56
    Acer 32" 1440P Freesync
    Rosewill Capstone 750W
    Hakko FX-888D Station
    FX-8802 Iron
    MG Chem .8mm 63/37 RA 2.2%

Comment

Looking through my datasheets... yeah, it seems Ruby ZLQ is pretty much the only option at this size and capacitance (at least for the 6.3V, 4700 uF caps), unless you know someone who has custom-ordered caps (Behemoth, perhaps?)

Panasonic FS seems to be a 2nd runner up, if you don't mind bumping down the capacitance for the 4700 uF caps to 3900 uF (instead of 3300 uF.)

As for 3300 uF, 16V caps in 10 mm dia... I couldn't find anything to fit from my datasheets. Will definitely need a custom size for that one, I think. Or maybe you can somehow find a way to wedge a 12.5 mm cap in there. I'm guessing you're all out of Samxon RS by now. :\

Also, the other thing I wonder about is how the ESR of ZLQ and FS will play with the circuits in that PSU. More than likely it will work fine. Though it is worth noting that both Panny FS and Ruby ZLQ caps have ESR/impedance close to that of United Chemicon KZE - a series that is often used in a lot of modern PSUs, but rarely seen in any old units that generally favor more entry-level low-ESR caps (if not outright GP caps.)
      Last edited by momaka; 10-14-2020, 08:06 PM.

Comment

3300uf 16v 10mm if you can find them EKMG160ELL332MJ40S

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...X9wDF2QA%3D%3D
        Last edited by jayjr1105; 10-15-2020, 05:52 AM.
        Ryzen 3600x
        16GB Patriot 3600MHz
        MSI B450 Gaming Plus
        MSI Air Boost Vega 56
        Acer 32" 1440P Freesync
        Rosewill Capstone 750W
        Hakko FX-888D Station
        FX-8802 Iron

Comment

digikey is annoying me in that the 4700uf zlq didn't show up when I searched. I also never knew there was a KMG 3300uF 16v 10mm X 40mm that wasn't a special order. I love learning things!!
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
            digikey is annoying me in that the 4700uf zlq didn't show up when I searched. I also never knew there was a KMG 3300uF 16v 10mm X 40mm that wasn't a special order. I love learning things!!
            Check the datasheet, I'm not seeing 10x40mm
            Ryzen 3600x
            16GB Patriot 3600MHz
            MSI B450 Gaming Plus
            MSI Air Boost Vega 56
            Acer 32" 1440P Freesync
            Rosewill Capstone 750W
            Hakko FX-888D Station
            FX-8802 Iron

Comment

Originally posted by jayjr1105 View Post
              Check the datasheet, I'm not seeing 10x40mm
              From your own link:
              https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...X9wDF2QA%3D%3D
              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
              Team Stats

Comment

I mean I don't see 10x40 anywhere on the data sheet. Maybe Mouser has their data messed up? I can't tell you how many times I see 10x25 on the datasheet then the cap comes and it's 27mm tall.
                Ryzen 3600x
                16GB Patriot 3600MHz
                MSI B450 Gaming Plus
                MSI Air Boost Vega 56
                Acer 32" 1440P Freesync
                Rosewill Capstone 750W
                Hakko FX-888D Station
                FX-8802 Iron

Comment

Originally posted by jayjr1105 View Post
                  I mean I don't see 10x40 anywhere on the data sheet. Maybe Mouser has their data messed up? I can't tell you how many times I see 10x25 on the datasheet then the cap comes and it's 27mm tall.
                  The height doesn't really matter, plenty of clearance....the diameter is what mattered, they're packed in there crazy tight.
                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                  Team Stats

Comment

Has it ever been established that the fudgies were in fact their stated values when new? Remember, we're only seeing these antecs after failure or when in for recapping.

Would've been interesting when these were new to pull 'em and confirm value; alas, too late now.

But I'm not putting it below them to "fuhjj" the values- obviously custom size of questionable antec-spec pedigree. Remember the major antec trolling years ago?

Wouldn't surprise me if the stupidpowers' "4700uf" on the sleeve were one or two standard values lower.

Regardless of the fact that legit caps in those size/value combos exist(ed) is moot; the stupidpowers had a particular love affair with em.
                    "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
                    Originally posted by shango066
                    All style and no substance.
                    Originally posted by smashstuff30
                    guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
                    guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

Originally posted by kaboom View Post
                      Has it ever been established that the fudgies were in fact their stated values when new? Remember, we're only seeing these antecs after failure or when in for recapping.

Would've been interesting when these were new to pull 'em and confirm value; alas, too late now.

But I'm not putting it below them to "fuhjj" the values- obviously custom size of questionable antec-spec pedigree. Remember the major antec trolling years ago?

Wouldn't surprise me if the stupidpowers' "4700uf" on the sleeve were one or two standard values lower.

Regardless of the fact that legit caps in those size/value combos exist(ed) is moot; the stupidpowers had a particular love affair with em.
                      I'll measure them when I pull them. Some haven't bloated.
                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                      Team Stats

Comment

Most of the unusually small caps I've seen measured low, but still (barely) within tolerance. I did see a few that measured extremely close to the rated capacitance, like a 2200uF 25V 13x20mm that measured almost exactly 2200uF.

Comment

Keep in mind oxide thickness reduction will increase capacitance.

Charge say, a 16v cap from 16-20v thru a 1k-10k resistor til cap voltage equals supply voltage. Then measure the capacitance- oxide may be closer to original thickness.

Yes, there's other factors involved here, not the least of which is the fact they're "f-yoos," but it's an attempt to go back to at least one "known". Such craps and their oxide thickness reduction will give a false-high capacitance when tested.

Which you know already...
                          "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
                          Originally posted by shango066
                          All style and no substance.
                          Originally posted by smashstuff30
                          guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
                          guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

I also never knew there was a KMG 3300uF 16v 10mm X 40mm that wasn't a special order. I love learning things!!
                            Interesting, I also didn't know that KMG series have a 16V, 3300 uF in 10 mm dia. cap. Then again, I also tend to ignore them quite often on Digikey and Mouser, simply because they are GP series (hence, technically not good enough for PSU.) On the other hand, since you'll be replacing Fuhjyyus that aren't really that much better rated than GP caps, this probably might not matter much.

It's possible.

But I find Fuhjyyu caps tend to be accurate about the capacitance on their label... when they are not failed, of course.
                            And in that regard, it seems that Fuhjyyu just uses crap quality materials, which makes their caps very unreliable (unable to withstand heat stress and also breaking down in use over time.) However, of the many many F-u caps that failed, a select few do seem to survive... and IME, or at least from what I have in my salvage bin, those have been OK, surprisingly - even after using them for many years in various temp recap projects. Unlike Teapo SEK and SC series, at least these don't bloat by themselves when sitting on the shelf. With Teapo, I always have to reform them and check them on the cap meter... and even then that guarantees nothing. Then there's CapXon and Ltec I don't trust those even for a temp recap. Non-stressful breadboard projects is as far as I take them.

By the way, anyone remember the 1650 uF -rated Fuhjyyu?
                            https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...highlight=1650
                            Maybe I should list it on eBay as "vintage rare special cap with warm musical sound"
                            Last edited by momaka; 10-15-2020, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Yea I would also not use KMG in a modern PSU, General Purpose caps do not belong there.
                              "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                                Yea I would also not use KMG in a modern PSU, General Purpose caps do not belong there.
                                This PSU has to be a good 15yrs old....I don't think it would qualify as 'modern'...
                                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                Team Stats

Comment

Anything with a high switching frequency I mean, it was designed for low ESR capacitors.
                                  "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

I just dissected a Zippy / emacs (model R2W-6500) for another project I'm working on, there's quite a few KMG's in it. It's probably circa 2010 (it was running a 5400 series Xeon system). It's a high-time PSU, its a redundant server supply, working fine. Most the ones in the secondary are KZE and KY. The reason for the dissection was I'm repuropsing it for something less demanding and wanted to quiet the fans down. They're 8500RPM feeding off the +12v rail. Much quieter feeding from the +5v instead!
                                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                    Team Stats

Comment

Our forum member Behemot sells custom made UCC KZN 16V 3300uF capacitors which are 10mm and quite tall and I highy recommend them.

He sells them through his Bonanaza store, or through his website.

He also carries Samxon RS in 16V 3300uF, but their spec is not as impressive as KZN. You're already familiar with those.

Yes, they were in fact 4700uF. Don't bother trying to find 10mm 6.3V 4700uF caps. Just use 3300uF caps there.
                                      "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

I thought RS's were discontinued....I haven't been able to get them since Joe Lo (bigpope) went MIA. I do like the specs of the KZN better for sure though.
                                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                        Team Stats

Comment

Working...
                                        X