Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

<play taps>RadeonHD 5770 dead at ... ~10?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

<play taps>RadeonHD 5770 dead at ... ~10?

Well... it was a good run after 10 years I think.

My computer with the Diamond branded RadeonHD 5770 crashed and screen corrupted an hour ago and couldn't boot my machine with it installed anymore (no POST). Removed it and used onboard video, and machine came back to life.

Looks like the GPU bought the farm.

Time to get a new GPU just to go dual head or something? Sigh, never any funds to get a new GPU especially with the miners. Hesitant on buying an abused used GPU too. May have to look at some other option...

Re: &lt;play taps&gt;RadeonHD 5770 dead at ... ~10?

GPU's are crazy inflated right now, but if you were happy with a 5770 you probably don't need anything extreme.... Dual head? Are any GPU's around today that don't have atleast 2 display connectors?
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

Buy something used on fleabay. Better yet, something nvidia.
      Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
      ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
        Well... it was a good run after 10 years I think.
        Yup, that's not bad at all, considering these aren't know to be very reliable.

I wonder, though, did you use it for any gaming or 3D work?
        IME, these cards last as long only when not used/stressed much or when ran with water blocks or equally cool-running oversized heatsinks.

Looks like the GPU bought the farm.
        Unfortunately. :\

So what, you're not gonna try and bake it (a.k.a. ghetto "reflow")?
        I'm sure some of you will give me a shitstorm for suggesting that. But seriously, it's a dead GPU already. Might as well try cremating it if it's truly dead.

Time to get a new GPU just to go dual head or something?
        Well, if you're looking for dual-DVI output, and that really is the only requirement, then there's a ton of old cards that offer it. The question is, do you really need anything as powerful as that HD5770, or do you just need a display adapter? In the case of the later, there's a ton of inexpensive options. It's OK to go with an "abused used" GPU in some cases... but again, depends on the type of card specs we're talking about.

The only thing I seriously suggest to steer clear of are the Radeon HD7k series (with possibly the exception of HD7570... which are dirt-cheap and actually not that much worse than your HD5770 for specs) and R9 cards - these drop faster than flies. Also any Radeons with HBM memory... though those are the old-ish high-end stuff and still extremely pricey (if you can find a working one), so that will naturally keep you out of them.

In all honesty, maybe see if you can find a used GTX 460 or 560 (or 550 TI if bad comes to worse) for like $20-25 shipped (may have to look around for a while and/or snipe-bid to get that price)... and try to keep it as cool as possible. Then it might last a while, provided it wasn't mined with... which usually isn't the case with these, as they weren't great miners even a good few years back.

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
        Buy something used on fleabay. Better yet, something nvidia.
        You mean, noVideo?

Reliability-wise, they're the same turds as AMD.

Or rather, the problem really boils down to inadequate coolers (for the most part)... because why let a card run cool and "under-perform", when you can clock it further up and squeeze every bit of performance out of it. It may not seem logical, but that's what AMD and nVidia have been doing for the past 2 decades now while competing with each other. It's always been down to who has the fastest card, followed by who can offer the most bang for your buck... with reliability not even considered. So because of that, GPU manufacturers have always been pushing the highest performance (read: highest heat output) given a card's design (and cooling capacity.) And that ultimately leads to hot GPU chips, which ultimately leads to shorter silicon life. And there's no two ways about it really - just pure physics. Than nVidia or ATI/AMD tell you that it's OK for your GPU to run at 70...80...90C... is complete bullshit. Even 60C is too much in most cases, and that's actually not only due to RoHS or issues similar to the nVidia bumpgate stuff. It also has to do with the fact that silicon wears out (yes, exactly like a consumable) faster when pushed to higher temperatures. In a similar way, why do LED lights also fail / last less at higher temperatures? Think about that too.
        Last edited by momaka; 10-14-2021, 11:49 PM.

Comment

Yeah don't know yet what I want to do yet. One last experiment before declaring last rites but probably it's time to get another. Not sure if I want to get a 64-bit card yet, I think I can get one locally real cheap (like probably $5) but not sure if I'll like the performance. Also kind of unfortunate: I was this close to running 4-head with this card (theoretically possible?) using the 3 ports on the card (DVI, DP, HDMI) and the onboard (HDMI)...

Yes it was running 3d apps though recently it didn't have much of a 3d load -- but instead tried to get started in OpenCL though did not run anything yet. I guess that's not happening.

*sigh*
          Last edited by eccerr0r; 10-15-2021, 01:07 AM.

Comment

Here, Three cards up to 12 monitors

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15713...our-hdmi-ports

Comment

so now I've had a dead diamond hd5770, sapphire hd3650, pny mx440, and a foxconn G965 (yes onboard)... maybe more... nforce board...

hmm.

the 5770 was "fast enough" ... would use the x800 but no opencl support...

Comment

so now I've had a dead diamond hd5770, sapphire hd3650, pny mx440, and a foxconn G965 (yes onboard)... maybe more... nforce board...

hmm.

the 5770 was "fast enough" ... would use the x800 but no opencl support...
                this one?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...n_HD_5770.html

should have been able to do quad out with a DP -> HDMI adapter

The 710 does have opencl support (not sure if it's the version you need)

but yeah it's not nearly as powerful as the 5770
                Last edited by Uranium-235; 10-15-2021, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Not sure if I want to get a 64-bit card yet, I think I can get one locally real cheap (like probably $5) but not sure if I'll like the performance.
                  Yeah, in 3D stuff, 64-bit is... ugh.

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
                  Here, Three cards up to 12 monitors

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15713...our-hdmi-ports
                  ^ But that's a GT 710 - it's a "display adapter" and not a real video card.

But yeah, I see your point, it's about the number of monitors you can run with this one and not necessarily performance... so multiple monitor display adapter would be the proper title for it.

Actually, as much as I like to poke fun at these GT710 cards, they wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for their 64-bit memory bus... but then if they had anything better (128-bit bus), they would be essentially a GT 730... well maybe, depending on the core type. This applies to both GT 710 and GT 730. 710 with GF119 -based core has only 48 shaders, 8 TMUs, and 4 ROPs - it's weaksauce. On the other hand, GK208b core type has 192 shaders, 16 TMUs, and 8 ROPs, which would essentially allow for twice the performance in non-memory-intensive applications (but in most cases, that won't happen as the 64-bit mem bus will still be the major holdback.) The better of the pack would be a GT 730 with a GF108 core, which has proper 128 bit mem bus... but then that one is limited by its silly 4 ROPs. So I guess there really isn't a winner here among these.

In terms of value for money, HD7570 will beat all of the above (look for the Dell OEM ones with GDDR5 memory.) These are dirt cheap right now and plentiful. But, alas, it's HD7k series - they just don't last... though this being a smaller core GPU, it usually does better. I imagine these would do OK with an aftermarket heatsink that keeps them cool. The stock one is quite shit, IMHO. Alternatively, the HD4670 is only slightly slower and not DX11-compliant, but also tends to be more robust.

Or if you want a direct replacement for your 5770 but can't find too many... The FirePro v5800 and Barco MXRT-5450 are almost the same thing, just with a slightly slower core clock, but much lower TDP of 74W (vs. 108W for the HD5770.) If you get that and slap the 5770 cooler on it (provided you can make it fit), that should give you a cooler-running card that performs the same as before.

Better than my pile of dead stuff ... though I should say I did acquire all of them in that condition already (i.e. none of my working cards have died on me yet... yet.) And in the process, I managed to revive a few with reflows. Seems that only the old Radeon 9700's and a few HD4850's have taken that alright and still appear to work. Most others have died again.

Comment

Yeah all 5 of those dead GPUs were acquired new... So I've been having bad luck with GPUs?

Currently functional PCIe GPUs I have left are an X800 and a G210. Neither are opencl though the X800 is faster. Or is the Intel second gen cpu graphics faster...

Comment

I have a 5770 somewhere around here, don't think it has a displayport or vga. You could probably easily get a card from other members, or me if I can find one

If it has displayport it might be able to use an active adapter to multiple monitors beyond three but i'm not sure how that integrates with the other ports, I would have to use more research

Comment

I'll try to hunt for one for now, just hope to find one faster than the onchip 2nd gen for not much.
                        So far the X800 won't allow me to passthrough to the onboard output, probably have to use the gpu VGA port to use my monitors...

Comment

I've got boxes full of GPU's....just let me know what you're looking for more specifically and I'll see what I can dig up.
                          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                          Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                          http://folding.stanford.edu/
                          Team : 49813
                          Join in!!
                          Team Stats

Comment

Yeah all 5 of those dead GPUs were acquired new... So I've been having bad luck with GPUs?
                            Probably 50/50 bad luck and just not cooling your GPUs enough (relying on the stock HS or stock fan profile.)

By the way, I was just looking through the ghetto mod thread and saw this post of yours:
                            https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...&postcount=542
                            and this picture:
                            https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...0&d=1621045031

Is that the Diamond HD5770 that failed here? If yes, you can't say I didn't warn you about it running at 60C. ATI cards starting with the HD5k and up don't like it that hot. HD4k could take it... but not great. HD3k were the only ones that could take high heat abuse for a long time before going bust. The stock fan profile for most of my HD3k cards is set to not spin up until the card reaches a toasty 70-80C. Most HD4k are the same. And people wonder why those failed so much. Not as bad as nVidia 8800 series with their single-slot coolers. Those run terribly hot too.

Currently functional PCIe GPUs I have left are an X800 and a G210. Neither are opencl though the X800 is faster. Or is the Intel second gen cpu graphics faster...
                            I hate to say it... but the X800 is pretty outdated for modern use. They are great for retro PCs / gaming from the XP era. For modern usage, though, you might be better of with the Intel's onboard... well, depending on which CPU you have. By G210... did you mean Pentium G2010? If so, that's an Ive Bridge with Ivy Bridge GT1 IGP.

As a similar comparison, I was playing with a Pentium G3260 CPU this summer in a HP SFF box, and it performed admirably well (for an IGP) in older games up to 2007-2009. Mirror's Edge on 720p - no problems! 40 FPS average. That's only a little less than my HD46x0 cards could do.

And if G2010 is indeed the CPU you have, then its IGP should definitely support OpenCL.
                            Last edited by momaka; 10-16-2021, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post

As a similar comparison, I was playing with a Pentium G3260 CPU this summer in a HP SFF box, and it performed admirably well (for an IGP) in older games up to 2007-2009. Mirror's Edge on 720p - no problems! 40 FPS average. That's only a little less than my HD46x0 cards could do..
                              It's not an IGP it's an APU. Tremendous difference. IGP's of old have serious heat and power limitations that made them have to put little power into the IGP.

Comment

^ Well, OK, you know what I meant. Let's call it integrated then (be it APU, IGP, onboard) for the sake of distinguishing it from discrete GPUs.

By the way, here's a listing I found for a Quadro 600 on eBay for not much:
                                https://www.ebay.com/itm/265360053439
                                It's in CO too, so maybe cheaper shipping (or pickup, if nearby?)

Granted these Quadro 600's aren't anything to write home about and considerably weaker than the HD5770. But it does have OpenCL, at least according to GPU-Z.

Comment

Yeah that card died, though the 'new' fan seemed to push more air. Pretty much was up to the heatsink and there was no way to get another thicker hs there - more pcie cards are coming...

No, not g2010, it's an nvidia G210 according to Linux. PCIe too. It's definitely slow, 8400GS speeds and era.

my cpu is a sandybridge, but only one video port, thus lacking in this aspect alone. At least the cooling problem for it is solved...

Hooked up the X800 to my monitors, good for the time being. Though something 5770-like in speeds would be nice... not sure how much these go for these days due to conflicting reports in this thread of it being both "old" and "fast" at the same time??? Which is it?

Just have to delay opencl experimentation for now...
                                  Last edited by eccerr0r; 10-16-2021, 11:32 PM.

Comment

Is it your own built application?

Comment

G210...theoretically IS an 8400GS. Hence why subsequent releases of the 8400GS were based on the GT218 core. (older interim cards between G86 and GT218 were G98 based)
                                      Main rig:
                                      Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                      Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                      Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
                                      16GB DDR3-1600
                                      Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                      FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
                                      120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
                                      Delux MG760 case

Comment

The RadeonHD 3650 died faster than the 5770. Lasted ⅓ as long IIRC...
                                        Then again the 3650 will POST still. The 5770 is DIW.

Comment

Working...
                                        X