Samsung SyncMaster 226BW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Samsung SyncMaster 226BW

Yeah I noticed people checking the gift box on e-bay but isn't that technically illegal?

Probably undetectible among e-bay users but a large company like Digikey could easily get caught doing it so they don't.
    Last edited by Krankshaft; 10-02-2009, 08:24 PM.
    Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Correct. But, having it sent to relatives in US then shipped to him, they should do that when they mail it to him to save the duty. Also, remove any invoices, packing slips, or company markings from the box or envelope.

Just don't try this with the 1 foot square box that weighs 15 pounds. I guarantee if you do, they'll open it.

I grant that Digikey should be a bit more conscious of the shipping cost to the consumer. Only giving a customer one choice for overseas shipment is done to protect Digikey's interests and the customer's. Express Mail is a sign-on-delivery product that insures the addressee gets the goods. It also protects Digikey from "I didn't get this" claims and credit card chargebacks. Additionally, it gets cleared through customs a helluva lot faster than other methods.

Toast
      veritas odium parit

Comment

Thanks Toasty for the info. I'm going to do that and have it sent to a family member in the U.S. then have them repackage and send it here. I miss my monitor Thanks for everyone's help. I'll be back once I get the capacitors in a couple of weeks.

Comment

Found this forum as a newb trying to fix my Samsung 226BW

However, I have diff caps and layout than buzz's. Must be a diff version of the 226bw

In any case, I am trying to id replacements and have come up with the following. Can someone take a looksy and see if I got it right?

CURRENT HAVE:

*C105 150uF 450v (M) 105 °C 0725 (VENT?) 20mm D x 36mm H
          *C107 47uF 50v KM 105 °C P729 VENT 6.5mm D x 10mm H
          *C107 22uF 50v GL 105 °C C727 VENT 6.5mm D x 10mm H
          *C107 2.2uF 50v GL 105 °C C727 VENT 5mm D x 10mm H (thinner than the 22uf)
          *C113 330uF 25v GL 105 °C C729VENT 10mm D x 12.5mm H

*C111 820uF 25v GL 105 °C C729 VENT 10mm D x 20mm H
          *C113 820uF 25v GL 105 °C C729 VENT 10mm D x 20mm H
          *C114 820uF 25v GL 105 °C C729 VENT 10mm D x 20mm H
          *C316 820uF 25v GL 105 °C C729 VENT 10mm D x 20mm H
          *C317 820uF 25v GL 105 °C C729 VENT 10mm D x 20mm H

REPLACING WITH (from mouser):

(not replacing the 150uf)

47uf: EEU-FC1H470

22uf: UTS1H220MDD

2.2uf: UPV1H2R2MFD

330uf: EEU-FC1E331

820uf (x5): UHV1E821MPD (more about the 820's below)

If someone could let me know if these are ok, then I will be good to go. TIA

RE the 820's:

I have 5 820s on the board. They are 10mm x 20mm. This is a very hard dim to find (the one above is backordered). The problem I have is 3 are bunched so close together that I can't go wider and seat them properly. The height to the panel is 25.5mm. So, if I go with the common 10mmx25mm, then I will pretty much hit the panel.

I was hoping not to have to wait for weeks for the 820's and go with a diff cap that might work, but not sure what parameters\features I can play with, if any. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ken

Comment

In reading the Newb instructions on this site, I noticed it says that I can change the Farad rating slightly as not to exceed the 20% tolerance, correct?

Add that to the fact that Buzz's config was 3x820s and 2x680s (again, slightly diff 226bw version), can I conclude that I could replace my 5 x 820s with 680s ?

If so, do either of these 2 look to fit the bill?:

EEU-FC1E681
            or
            ELXZ250ETD681MJ20S

I also want to make sure that I don't get an incompatible series since I still haven't the grasp for it yet.

Thanks again,

Ken

Comment

For reference, can we get a pic of your board? I'm checking your choices and will post back later.

Toast
              veritas odium parit

Comment

Thanks Toasty.

BTW, I just noticed that I mangled the locations in my list (e.g. multi C107s and C113s). That's "Cut-n-Paste" damage

Upload shortly

Ken

Comment

I got frustrated at Mouser and went to DigiKey. The choices I made at Mouser ended up being out of stock or non-stocked. grrrrr....

I built an order at digikey.com.
                  You can access it:
                  - Go to site
                  - Click on "Order Status" on the left menu
                  - Web ID: 29742027
                  - Access ID: 73123
                  - Click "Submit"
                  - Click "View Order" link

I added info at end of lines to show comparison of values.

mO = milliohms

Originals are CapXon:
                  1 - 47/50 KM 6.5 x 10 - n/a / 115mA

1 - 22/50 GL 6.5 x 10 - 1 Ohm / 135mA

1 - 2.2/50 GL 5 x 10 - 2.6 Ohm / 33mA

1 - 330/25 GL 10 x 12.5 - 82mO / 720mA

5 - 820/25 GL 10 x 20 - Size does not exist in current chart - drop down to can size that matches (680uF/25v) - 52mO / 1280mA

** height to the panel is 25.5mm

Your choices == My recommendations

{BOLD} indicates a variation from the original.

47/50: EEU-FC1H470 - Pana FC = 600mO / 260mA == FM {56uF} - 140mO / 405mA - EEU-FM1H560

22/50: UTS1H220MDD - Nich TS = n/a / 86mA == FM - 250mO / 340ma - EEU-FM1H220

2.2/50: UPV1H2R2MFD - Nich PV = 7 Ohms / 54mA == FC - 1.8 Ohms / 45mA - EEU-FC1H2R2

330/25: EEU-FC1E331 - Pana FC = 90mO / 755mA == FM {35v - 10x16} - 26mO / 1790 - EEU-FM1V331

820/25: UHV1E821MPD - Nich HV = 19mO / 2160mA == FM {680uF} - 19mO / 2180mA - EEU-FM1E681

820's hard to find in 20mm height
                  Perhaps:
                  EEU-FC1E681 - Pana FC = 52mO / 1220mA
                  or
                  ELXZ250ETD681MJ20S - UCC LXZ = 52mO / 1220mA

Toast
                  veritas odium parit

Comment

THANKS TOASTY!!

Here is pic as well.
                    Attached Files

Comment

I am looking to double the quantities so I can replace immediately in a couple of years if needed.

What is the shelf life on capacitors? Is it worth it or just wait till I get to that bridge?

Thanks again,
                      Ken

Comment

Shelf life would be okay for 5 years if they're kept cool and never have a voltage applied to them before use.

After storing them, and before you go to use them, apply roughly 1/3 their voltage for an hour, then the next 1/3, then finally full voltage. It helps "re-form" the electrolyte/dielectric/aluminum slowly without damage.

Toast

Post back to let us know how it all works out, or if you run into trouble.
                        veritas odium parit

Comment

Thanks again for your time Toasty.

I will be placing the order today and will report back this week. I'm sure there will be more questions as I work through this. The great thing about this is I now will think twice before chunking "bad" electronics and maybe attempt to fix them myself first I was getting ready to chunk the monitor and go get a new one when I stumbled on this site (keywords: 226bw blue light bad flickering problem)

I noticed in this thread (or the 225bw thread) someone recommended a 30w for the job. I went and bought a cheapo 30w pen, solder and flux. I already have a dental pick and desolderer (mechanical "pop" kind). I then later read the FAQs and found that BC recommends 40-60w. For this board, should the 30w be ok?

Thanks,
                          Ken

Comment

It will take longer and on large traces (grounds for example) you may have problems with the board drawing the heat away at a higher rate than the iron can replace it.

Try it and see. If you end up not being able to get some out, you'll need the larger iron.
                            veritas odium parit

Comment

YIKES!

Stupid me, I forgot to note the wiring locations from the lcd screen to the inverter. 4 wires, 2 pink and 2 blue, but don't remember what order they plug in.

Hopefully someone with a 226bw is following this thread. If so, could you post a pic or describe the order?

Thanks,
                              Ken

Comment

Nevermind! I got it! Pink Inside, Blue Outside

So, it goes Blue-Pink-Pink-Blue

Comment

YEAH!!

Works perfectly!!

Thanks Toasty for your help, YOU DA MAN!!

Some tidbits for others with this monitor:

- Careful with the .22 cap. The positive hole is right on the edge of the track and I was afraid I had screwed my board because I had to mess around longer with the iron than I would have liked. Of course, only time will tell if I did mess it up or not.

- As noted in last post, the LCD plugs to the inverter are Blue-Pink-Pink-Blue, in case you didn't note them.

- There are contacts on the Switch panel (front frame cover panel) that must be in contact with the metal part of the lcd before it will work properly. I was trying to test and took a while to finally figure this out after getting a dimly lit blank screen forever. Simply place the lcd assembly into the front frame, turn on and lift the lcd up to look at it. Careful to hold onto the internals or it might slip and yank the thin ribbon out.

Thanks again Toast! Maybe you should make your parts list for the 226BW a sticky. I'm sure that many more will be coming soon!

Ken

Comment

Correction: 2.2 cap (not .22)

Comment

My Son has a Samsung Syncmaster 226BW. When you turn it on it shows the analog box then goes black. The on button stays blue and does not blink. After reading the post for the 225 I took it apart and the caps looked good, but I replaced C110, C111 and C112. I then read further and found I can shine a flashlight into the screen and see the faint desktop. So it appears to be a backlight problem. I have checked the fuse and it appears to be good.

Not sure if changing the other caps would help any at this point. What components are usually to blame for no backlighting? any further direction would be appreciated.

Didn't know the warranty was 3 year, but my son has no record or receipt for when he bought the monitor.

Comment

Originally posted by SLBEngineer
                                        My Son has a Samsung Syncmaster 226BW. When you turn it on it shows the analog box then goes black. The on button stays blue and does not blink. After reading the post for the 225 I took it apart and the caps looked good, but I replaced C110, C111 and C112. I then read further and found I can shine a flashlight into the screen and see the faint desktop. So it appears to be a backlight problem. I have checked the fuse and it appears to be good.

Not sure if changing the other caps would help any at this point. What components are usually to blame for no backlighting? any further direction would be appreciated.

Didn't know the warranty was 3 year, but my son has no record or receipt for when he bought the monitor.
                                        I'd check the date of manufacture lable on the back. If it's been less than 3 years, you might want to try to get it repaired under warranty.

If it's been more, you don't want to wait for warranty, etc., then good pictures of the top and bottom of the power supply / inverter board are helpful. It is especially helpful if the picture of the top is taken with the CCFLs hooked up. Also, quite often the leads to the CCFLs are of two different diameters due to heavier insulation on the drive leads. Note this on the pictures.

PlainBill
                                        For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Thanks PlainBill

The monitor is in Warranty. I have two problems though. First I don't have a receipt and second I have replaced some capacitors and managed to damage on of the old ones so it can't be put back.

I wasn't going to work on it but since we had no proof of purchase I figured I had nothing to loose. Just fixed my 2 year old Samsung 46" LCD TV this week with bad caps and thought I would get lucky on the monitor.

I have attached the pics of the top and bottom of the power supply / inverter board.
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X