ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Re: It's "patch-Tuesday", people!

any reports on what it fucks yet?

Comment

install now and ask questions later thats the microsoft way!
      My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

It wasn't disastrous like the March patch-Tuesday.

No Windows Update error code shown in March, but SFC, with the /scannow parameter, apparently failed the March update(s).

And BTW, the SFC corruption message usually rears its ugly head on builds pre-19xx.
        Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 05-13-2020, 10:45 AM.
        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
          It wasn't disastrous like the March patch-Tuesday.

No Windows Update error code shown in March, but SFC, with the /scannow parameter, apparently failed the March update(s).

And BTW, the SFC corruption message usually rears its ugly head on builds pre-19xx.
          [My boxes are all W7 and none are on-line to support automatic updates]

Does MS give you some inkling of what the updates are SUPPOSED to address? Or, is it all a matter of "trust us"...?

E.g., when I build a W7 box, I examine the updates that I am likely to install before including them in the build -- if I don't "need"/want whatever it is claiming to add/fix, then I omit it.

Comment

Originally posted by Curious.George View Post

Does MS give you some inkling of what the updates are SUPPOSED to address? Or, is it all a matter of "trust us"...?
            Yes, Microsoft will tell you the fixes in the update, but 10 normally just goes ahead and attempts to update, even when done the wrong way, apparently, sometimes.
            ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

Yes, Microsoft will tell you the fixes in the update, but 10 normally just goes ahead and attempts to update, even when done the wrong way, apparently, sometimes.
              But can you "pick and choose" what PARTS of the update you want? Or, is it just a giant "rollup" update -- all or nothing?

Comment

But can you "pick and choose" what PARTS of the update you want?
                Nope!
                ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

windows 10 is like soviet russia - IT OWNS YOU!

Comment

Nope!
                    So, if an update includes other "changes" that aren't strictly bug fixes or security patches but, rather, change the fundamental behavior of the system OR significant aspects of the user interface, you're FORCED to adopt them?

Can you "forever after" inhibit updates to freeze the behavior at a particular point in time (living with any bugs/vulnerabilities present in that snapshot)? Or, are you coerced to applying the update(s), "eventually"?

[E.g., On W7 and earlier systems, I could simply say "I'm willing to live with THIS instead of taking on further CHANGES that I don't want or need"]

Comment

My office system is still running win7 with 1yr of Extended Updates....nothing has exploded nor has any behavior changed. I only install critical/security updates. Any other systems around here just get a handfull of standalones and done WSUS disabled. I still don't have any win10 systems in use....I only have a couple of them in the 'sandbox' for testing purposes.
                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                      http://folding.stanford.edu/
                      Team : 49813
                      Join in!!
                      Team Stats

Comment

So, if an update includes other "changes" that aren't strictly bug fixes or security patches but, rather, change the fundamental behavior of the system OR significant aspects of the user interface, you're FORCED to adopt them?
                        You're forced to adopt them.
                        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

the next version of windows 10 will be 2004, it already sounds outdated by the version number! You know I sometimes think how many hours of my life ive wasted answering the windows 10 setup prompts why don't they just made it easy and have a one click button that says "FULL BUTT FUCK" that way with 1 click I know iam getting maximum data collection, forced updates and annoying nags daily.
                          My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

Yes! Thus down the road, it's possible that people will be angry at the whatever-thing that got changed.
                            Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 05-14-2020, 08:30 PM.
                            ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

Freaking Win 10 update ... 53 minutes of waiting ...

That's why I use lubuntu since 2014, but today I had to fire up a laptop running Win 10 today.

53 minutes. I could have formatted, setup a new computer running lubuntu in 1/2 the time.
                              --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                                My office system is still running win7 with 1yr of Extended Updates....nothing has exploded nor has any behavior changed. I only install critical/security updates. Any other systems around here just get a handfull of standalones and done WSUS disabled. I still don't have any win10 systems in use....I only have a couple of them in the 'sandbox' for testing purposes.
                                I review the available updates at the time I build a machine, install what I think I need and there it stays. But, my machines don't talk to the outside world.

And, the "bugs" that I want fixed never seem to be fixed so why go through the hassle of sneakernetting updates to the machines? <frown>

Comment

bill gates can shove his software AND his vaxxine!!

Comment

Originally posted by BigTroll View Post
                                    the next version of windows 10 will be 2004, it already sounds outdated by the version number! You know I sometimes think how many hours of my life ive wasted answering the windows 10 setup prompts why don't they just made it easy and have a one click button that says "FULL BUTT FUCK" that way with 1 click I know iam getting maximum data collection, forced updates and annoying nags daily.
                                    Hahahaha, gold comment!
                                    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by BigTroll View Post
                                      LOL'd a bit too hard at this
                                      Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
                                      RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                                      Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
                                      - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
                                      - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
                                      - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
                                      - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                        windows 10 is like soviet russia - IT OWNS YOU!
                                        You don't own Windows 10 instead Windows 10 owns you!
                                        CPU: Sempron 2500+ / P4 2.8E / P4 2.6C / A64 x2 4000+ / E6420 / E8500 / i5-3470 / i7-3770
                                        GPU: TNT2 M64 / Radeon 9000 / MX 440-SE / 7300GT / Radeon 4670 / GTS 250 / Radeon 7950 / 660 Ti / GTS 450

Main Driver: Intel i7 3770 | Asus P8H61-MX | MSI GTS 450 | 8GB of NO NAME DDR3 RAM (2x4GB) | 1TB SATA HDD (W.D. Blue) | ASUS DVD-RW | 22" HP Compaq LE2202x (1920x1080) | Seasonic S12II-620 PSU | Antec 300 | Windows 7 Ultimate with SP1

Comment

Working...
                                        X