Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung UA40D5500 top 1/3 dark and ghostly

Hi Guys

I have a Samsung UA40D5500 that is showing the top third of the screen is darker, but still shows the picture (there is a definite line where it starts) and a bit ghostly.

It uses a samsung panel (ld400bgb-a2)

I have attached some photos to attempt to show the issue etc and the back of the tv and the panel info.

Sorry the quality of the pics isnt that great and no, the tv isnt really that red lol.

I have searched for a solution and have seen a few posts about pulling off the tabs on the outer edges of the panel to fix a similar problem, but am wondering a few things:

Would this fix my issue?
    would I need to remove the tabs at the top bottom or sides?
    If sides, how would I know which side?

I dont think it is bad led's as the line is so definite and I can see they light up through the holes in the back of the unit (with the back cover off).

Is it a matter of touching the tabs with the tv on to find the one that is causing the issue?

Im being really cautious not to damage the screen before I find out what is wrong with it.

Thanks for all your help.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by RooTV; 05-28-2020, 11:46 PM.

Re: Samsung UA40D5500 top 1/3 dark and ghostly

Power up the tv with one ribbon from the tcon to the panel connected at a time to see if you have a good side. If there is a bad side, I would try the tape cutoff method first before ripping off the side tabs.

Comment

Originally posted by neilc6 View Post
      PI would try the tape cutoff method first before ripping off the side tabs.
      I havent come across the tape cuttof method??

Where can I find info on that?

Thanks

Comment

Example there, may have to play with size and position of tape: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7vl7-vZEL8

Comment

I have tried the tv on with one or the other tcon connector cable.

When I took the left hand side off the picture was ok except for the darkening line still at the top.

When I took the right hand side off it looked like the photo attached. Not sure if the cable was in properly or not? I thought it was.

As my issue is the top 3rd of the screen is darker than the rest I assume playing with the TCon connectors isnt going to help me?

I did notice that the line seems to fade out on the right hand side, so I guess the bad tab(s) I would have to remove would be on the left hand side?
          Attached Files
          Last edited by RooTV; 05-30-2020, 12:40 AM.

Comment

I have taken the plastic shroud off the tv and just by running my finger down the side of the panel metal shroud I can get the picture to go normal, if only for a second or two them it goes back to dark area with line.

Unfortunately, unlike a video I watched on doing this, the metal shroud around the panel is one piece so if I want to take it off one side I have to take it off all of it. Scary stuff

Im assuming there are 3 tabs down the side of this panel and the top one is the bad one?

I had to pack it up for today but this is what it looks like at the moment (pic attached)
            Attached Files
            Last edited by RooTV; 05-30-2020, 01:20 AM.

Comment

This is looking like loose/bad tab bonds, which are usually "fixed" with call them shims, thinking tab removal probably won't work in this one.

Comment

He's working with a sony here but gives you the gist of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHst6pKLtTE
                Last edited by nomoresonys; 05-30-2020, 05:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
                  thinking tab removal probably won't work in this one.
                  Im kinda glad now that I didnt go at it like a bull at a gate and rip those out yet.

I assume those shims will work on the side ribbons as well?

Comment

That's a good question, I usually see them on the ones running across the top, which is where I fixed my jvc, was top left looking from the front.

Comment

Im curious because as my issue is across the top from left to right I assume I would have to apply a fix to the left hand side?

Or is this not necessarily the way it goes?

Comment

Suppose you could try the "cutoff tape" method first, not sure if it will work in this case but it's much easier and worth a try before diving deeper: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7vl7-vZEL8

Comment

Originally posted by RooTV View Post
                          Im curious because as my issue is across the top from left to right I assume I would have to apply a fix to the left hand side?

Or is this not necessarily the way it goes?
                          No, you really just need a little pressure to hold that certain top tab in place with good contact, they usually do all the top ones just in case the others are about to become loose and act up, you do have them on the top running across right??
                          Last edited by nomoresonys; 05-30-2020, 06:29 AM.

Comment

deleted coz I know nothing
                            Last edited by RooTV; 05-30-2020, 06:30 AM.

Comment

Last edited by nomoresonys; 05-30-2020, 06:39 AM.

Comment

If you have it narrowed down to one tab like in the video then you need to shim that one and all the top ones if you want to be thorough.

Comment

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
                                  you do have them on the top running across right??
                                  I dont know yet.

I havent taken the metal surround off yet.

Going to do that tomorrow. Its 1030pm here now

I did notice that when I pressed on the side I was able to get the picture good for a second or so. Not so much when I pressed the top.

The metal bracket around it is one piece so I will take it off tomorrow and check it out. Im worried about taking it off as I have visions of the screen falling apart lol

Comment

I have seen a vide where he shimmed an old plasma so I have an idea of what needs to be done.

better stock up on my paddle pop sticks!

Comment

Another similar video, this seems to be your issue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=purk_SyiT44

Comment

I dont know. Everything I read or see says "be very very careful with the connector cables they are really fragile" and this is advocating installing something that will add constant pressure to it.

Seems counter-intuitive to me. but I guess if I damage the screen it just gets parted out. I got given the tv for free, but I still want to fix it as I dont have a smart tv

Comment

Working...
                                        X