Oscilliscopes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oscilliscopes

If you had $350 to spend on a scope, which one would you get?

And does anyone know of a sub $50 multimeter that can read down to the 10s or 100's of µA ?

Re: Oscilliscopes

scope-wise, Rigol or Siglent.

Comment

Originally posted by EasyGoing1 View Post
      And does anyone know of a sub $50 multimeter that can read down to the 10s or 100's of µA ?
      You might have to spend a little bit more money than this to find a good quality one for the money
      9 PC LCD Monitor
      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
      30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
      10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
      6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
      1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
      25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
      6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
      1 Dell Mother Board
      15 Computer Power Supply
      1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
      2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
      All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

tektronix or hitachi

Comment

you dont get tek or hitachi for that price unless they are 20years old.

that money can buy a brand new 4 channel scope from rigol or siglent

Comment

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
            You might have to spend a little bit more money than this to find a good quality one for the money
            Here is one model that might what you are looking for not this model number though

MASTECH MS8239C

I have use a Mastech meter before at a job over 10 years ago and back then there meters were pretty good back then I have no idea what kind of quality they have now

Or this model that the picture is below I have used this meter for a while I have not used the UA setting before but have used the milliamperes scale and the amp scale and have no complaints about the use of it

It does have Bluetooth capability and does work pretty good with the Apple application it works fairly good easy to use but it is very basic in design

If I remember correctly it was under $50.00 on eBay

I hope this helps you
            Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 02-11-2021, 02:24 PM.
            9 PC LCD Monitor
            6 LCD Flat Screen TV
            30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
            10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
            6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
            1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
            25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
            6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
            1 Dell Mother Board
            15 Computer Power Supply
            1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
            2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
            All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

My Sencore SC3100 I bought new for a lot more than $350 has been a great one. They can be had now in your price range. 100MHz, dual channel. Built in DMM and frequency counter.
              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
              Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
              http://folding.stanford.edu/
              Team : 49813
              Join in!!
              Team Stats

Comment

If you had $350 to spend on a scope, which one would you get?

Extech's EX205T, http://www.extech.com/products/EX205T , lists for $44.

Extech's MS240 20MHz, 2 channel digital oscilloscope (including probes and accessories), http://www.extech.com/products/MS420 , is $950. Being battery powered, it can be used to probe the primary side of a PSU. It also has a built-in DMM function.

http://www.extech.com/products/MS6060 - 60MHz, $999
                PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
                  I own a Fluke 117 and had I known at the time that micro amps would be important, I would have chosen better. Just feels wrong to spend that kinda money again just to get microamps when I've got a good meter.

I dunno ... I'm sure ill end up biting the bullet and springing for the right one.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                    So Amazon has two Rigol's around $350 ... this one is a 2 channel 200Mhz and this one is a 4 Channel at 50 Mhz

THEN, I saw this sexy lil thing ... but it's a buck and a quarter over budget ... yet it might be worth it.... But just look at it ... it exudes class and style and it says ... "I'm gonna be here for a long time doing a damn good job"!

Comment

So as I was looking at the Siglent page, I noticed a timer counting down at the upper right. When I clicked on the scope, the price was $474 ... but that timer was telling me that I had just 10 minutes to take advantage of some deal I stumbled on and the scope was at $424 ... so figured since I'm Amazon Prime if for some reason I don't like it, they will take it back no questions asked.

I went ahead and got it... should be here Monday.

Comment

Here is the scope I ended up buying. It should be here Monday. It was a little over budget, but it seems highly functional with some cool technology in it including a web interface that can be accessed from anywhere. :-)

Comment

a very good scope.
                          i think you can even hack the software to upgrade it to 200MHz.
                          there is a thread at eevblog about that.

same for the rigol btw, you buy the 50MHz and unlock it to 100MHz.
                          but the siglent is better - and can go to 200MHz

Comment

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testge...-step-by-step/

Comment

Here is the scope I ended up buying. It should be here Monday. It was a little over budget, but it seems highly functional with some cool technology in it including a web interface that can be accessed from anywhere. :-)

Very nice!

I just haven't been able to let go of my old CRT scope....
                              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                              Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                              http://folding.stanford.edu/
                              Team : 49813
                              Join in!!
                              Team Stats

Comment

what i want for my collection is a hybrid design from HP.

just before they went to lcd they produced a range of traditional looking scopes that where actually digital with a mini CGA? (24KHz) monitor in them!!!
                                the top model was colour!

unfortunatly every time one is on ebay some scumbag collectors who will probably never use it bid them up to stupid prices!!

same thing happens with HP bench meters - i know for a fact some of the buyers have 5+ of the same model just stacked for display/bragging rights!

Comment

a very good scope.
                                  i think you can even hack the software to upgrade it to 200MHz.
                                  there is a thread at eevblog about that.

same for the rigol btw, you buy the 50MHz and unlock it to 100MHz.
                                  but the siglent is better - and can go to 200MHz
                                  So it's already capable of 200Mhz, just have to hack it and enable it? ... sweet!

Comment

what i want for my collection is a hybrid design from HP.
                                    same thing happens with HP bench meters - i know for a fact some of the buyers have 5+ of the same model just stacked for display/bragging rights!
                                    But ... who are they bragging to? LOL

Maybe you could find a broken one for a good price and fix it?

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                                      Very nice!

I just haven't been able to let go of my old CRT scope....
                                      If you got table space to throw away ... then more power to you!

I'm kinda the same way though ... if it works, seems like a waste to buy another one. That's why my last laptop was almost 10 years old before I bought a new one after it finally gave up the ghost.

I even tried to save the old one... it just kept shutting down for no reason and after a lot of troubleshooting, I figured there must be microfractures in the lead-free solder on the mainboard somewhere so I even stuck the mainboard in the oven for 10 minutes to re-flow the solder. That actually worked for about a week or so till it started shutting down again... each time the re-flow only worked for a few days ... then a few hours ... then I finally just called the time of death and stopped CPR and bought a new one lol.

Comment

But ... who are they bragging to? LOL

Maybe you could find a broken one for a good price and fix it?
                                        they are already broken on ebay.
                                        they are bragging to each other = posting pictures of their "collection" on eevblog!

Comment

Working...
                                        X