Design my own case or buy one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Design my own case or buy one?

Hey again. I'm looking for a computer case that has at least 4 5.25" front panel expansion bays and 2 3.5" expansion bays, is a full-tower ATX case, has a side window, and spaces for at least 2 fans on front and top.

Do such cases exist?
    If they do, should I buy one?
    Or should I custom-design a case and have it cut/milled by a machine shop?
    Buy a premade case
    0%
    Design one and have it cut/milled by a machine shop
    0%
    Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
    RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
    Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
    - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
    - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
    - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
    - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Re: Design my own case or buy one?

If you've got the funds for that, it'd be a fun project.....but it wouldnt be a cheap project.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

I voted buy a premade but I was thinking along the lines of a older lian li, you could find one with 4 5.25 bays and 2 3.5 inch bays then mod it yourself for airflow extra fans etc.
      My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
        If you've got the funds for that, it'd be a fun project.....but it wouldnt be a cheap project.
        Agreed. OTOH, is "designing a case" what you really want to do with your time?

With that many accessible bays (assuming you want them FRONT accessible), you're going to end up with a big (tall) box. And, do you really want all of those bays populated at all times?

I'd look at one of the bigger workstations to give you the bays and "volume". Or, even a "CD tower" (typ designed for 8 or more 5" bays). Then, plan on cutting a window in the side and fans atop

Comment

A Lain Li PC PC-V3000 https://www.avadirect.com/PC-V3000-T...oduct/12378234

Comment

I have a case that would almost work , but I don't want to get rid of it. It has 4 DVD drive slots and 1 3 1/2 floppy drive slot . Steel sides with some kind of Star wars art work. I think this setup is fairly common. You could use plexy with flashing led lights.

Comment

It's a hard call - custom or not. I don't see you asking for anything really way out there.

I found Lian Li excellent quality, expensive now and with dumb configurations i.e. no room for big graphics cards or too many fans or PSU at the bottom etc. so they are frustrating because the number of bays and full size ATX, some are silly huge and nothing but vent holes so noisy.

I haven't priced Protocase but they have free 3D CAD and templates/libraries with common parts. Makes me drool.
              I've use mid-ATX cases for decades, a bit bigger than a Mac lol but never had a hassle putting anything inside.
              I would look at the future ATX standard (size) I think it's only 12V? and not sure what the trend is. USB3 and fan speed control bays, maybe audio I/O too use up at least 3 bays unless you get the chinese combo bays with their low quality.

Comment

this Phanteks Enthoo Series Primo Aluminum ATX Ultimate http://www.phanteks.com/Enthoo-Primo.html seems to meet all the required stuff and is still on sale on amazon for 250$

Comment

Working...
                X