Old 10-16-2021, 11:55 PM   #3
Hondaman
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Clarksville, Indiana
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 120V 60Hz
I'm a: Forum Junkie
Default Re: Gray-Hoverman antenna

A grounded plate? Well, yes and no. I have two pieces of wire mesh behind the two "bowties" that "reflect" and make the antenna more directional. I think one is 0.25 inch. The second antenna, that I am building, has 10mm by 10mm mesh. They are not grounded, but just mounted behind the "bowties" and not "hooked up" to anything.

(I am building a second Gray-Hoverman [and a rod for 201 MHz] that I would like to put on the other side of my attic, to feed the television set in my bedroom.)

Maybe I'll attach a picture of one of them.

NOTE: WBNA (Channel 8, 180-186 MHz) put their antenna near the airport in Louisville, a completely different direction than the rest of the TV stations in my area. I am not making any effort to receive their signal.

Further information: It looks like Channel 51 (692-698 MHz) is as high as modern ATSC television transmitters go nowadays. Soon, it looks like Channel 36 (602-608 MHz) will be the highest frequency for TV. At the dawn of US television (1947) Channel 1 was abolished, it interfered with two-way taxicab radios. Channel 37 (608 to 614 MHz) has always been used for radio astronomy, not television. And the US Federal Communications Commission never gave anyone permission to operate a TV transmitter above Channel 69 (800-806 MHz). Many of those old "television channel" frequencies were "re-purposed" and set aside for use by cell phones, a process that started in 1982/1983.

Last edited by Hondaman; 10-17-2021 at 12:19 AM..
Hondaman is offline   Reply With Quote