Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SMD inductor code X

I am trying to repair a nvidia gtx 780 and after checking the main rails
    it came out this X inductor (it's named L17) is open. Obviosly, I checked if there was a short and yes, a shorted capacitor (part of the 12V rail filter powering up the phase responsible for the Vcore of the GPU)
    was responsible for the killing of the X inductor.
    So far, so good. But, what about this X code. What is the meaning?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by saronno; 11-06-2019, 11:40 AM.

Re: SMD inductor code X

Originally posted by saronno View Post
    I am trying to repair a nvidia gtx 780 and after checking the main rails
    it came out this X inductor (it's named L17) is open. Obviosly, I checked if there was a short and yes, a shorted capacitor (part of the 12V rail filter powering up the phase responsible for the Vcore of the GPU)
    was responsible for the killing of the X inductor.
    So far, so good. But, what about this X code. What is the meaning?
    It's a fuse (why they write L near it .. I don't know) .... but this code X doesn't help a lot in order to find the correct value and type of the little beast.
    Can anyone guess what kind of fuse and hwo many ampere it's the correct value here? The GPU is a GTX 780

Comment

12a
      Last edited by diif; 11-06-2019, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Yep, thank you .... checking some datasheet on littlefuse, I think it's probably the correct value.
        I said probably because the current limit determined by X depend on the type of fuse.
        But this card had a TDP of 250W ... so 8+12 seems reasonable 20x12=240W ... ok, you have not costant current, it powers a switching power regulator, but since it's polyphase you have current drain from a phase almost all the time.

Comment

Comment

The fuse marking X will be a 12amp, The L17 designation would be for a coil but I suspect a design change or a different manufacture had them install a fuse for better protection.
            Last edited by R_J; 11-06-2019, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
              The fuse marking X will be a 12amp, The L17 designation would be for a coil but I suspect a design change or a different manufacture had them install a fuse for better protection.
              In effect usually there is a coil in other card of the same type but different brand.

12A, so be it.

Thanks.

PS: I don't think is necessary to replace the shorted cap I blown (to find the short) ... there are plenty of them in parallel they are there just for filtering.
              Last edited by saronno; 11-06-2019, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X