No announcement yet.

Topcat's Dream Service Bench Reborn!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Topcat's Dream Service Bench Reborn!

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
    I might have to dig out an old copy of norton ghost....
    No, you need to dig out an old System with old IDE Support.
    Modern BIOS just don't support old drives very well.

A Pentium 3/Socket A system might be the latest you're looking for.

But really, I'd clone it in an old Pentium/K6 based machine.

Comment

Originally posted by Stefan Payne View Post
      No, you need to dig out an old System with old IDE Support.
      Modern BIOS just don't support old drives very well.

A Pentium 3/Socket A system might be the latest you're looking for.

But really, I'd clone it in an old Pentium/K6 based machine.
      I already conquered that hurdle.
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
      http://folding.stanford.edu/
      Team : 49813
      Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
        if you have a good multimeter, see if it's generating goot H & V sync pulses.
        Its not. I did take some pics today, but I haven't dumped the camera yet. I also contacted Sencore, just for giggles to see what they'd have to say about this relic.... I got a voicemail, and left my info....they did call back! I was told (and completely expected) that they don't service machines this old....but they did still have the service manual for it, and they would provide it at no cost, which will be helpful. I asked if firmwares were still available, he said he'd look around and get back to me....maybe there's hope!!
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

nice!

Comment

False hope on the service manual & firmwares.....they had it for the CM2125, which isn't even close to this one. Ohh well, this got back burnered for the planning stages of the new bench.....I cleared a hole where I want to build it.....and moved its contents to a back room in my shop...

.....and this is only about half of them, but the others aren't in the way......I'm a hoarder!

Attached Files
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

As I started to lay out a design in my brain of this 'new bench', it dawned on me that I already had one.

This bench was originally built for automotive type work before I built the room around it...

This pic is circa 2010, right as I started the remodel. The room literally was built around the bench. It had to be moved out of the way several times....needing the efforts of 3 mules and a crane it seemed... I built the bench when I bought the property in 2005.

Once the remodel was done, I built a bnech system out in the big garage portion of the building, and this bench pretty much got used for a catch-all....and it dawned on me....what better could one want! It's located deep in the bowels of the building, few have seen. It's heated & cooled. Awesome lighting.....WTF, so yea, I cleaned all the junk off and the backboard shelf.

Once that was done, I made a corner piece for an equipment rack. No matter which side of the "L" I'm working on, leads & probes can reach.

I still have a ways to go....but yea... It's amazing how sometimes we forget what we have.

More as this develops.
              Attached Files
              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
              Team Stats

Comment

Ok, made some headway this weekend....starting with extending a stack rack on the right side of the bench, for more equipment or whatever....its raised about 4" above the bench work surface.

The old plastic storage drawers removed, as well as the backboard end cap.

After 15 years, I finally repaired the light in this clock. Every single lighting component was bad.....bulb, ballast, and starter. I also added a pull chain switch so the light doesn't have to be on all the time...

Ok, back on track....stacked a few things in the center corner shelf....to get it out of the way for now.

Now test fitting the shelf surface. This stained board was something my wife was using for crafts that she mis-measured and was too narrow for her project....... We don't waste around this place!!

Test fitting the frame.

The top cut down to size.

Bottom bracket added.

Painted.

Installed. Yea, I know it looks a little out of place, but there's more to come that will be under and to the right of it (under the glass door cabinet). This just had to be done to complete the workbench itself

Now for the front & side edge rails that will create a track 1/4" deep on the bench surface....for carpet to sit in and not move around. I use a commercial anti-static berber carpet. I haven't zapped one yet.

Test fitting. These are 1x6's, so obviously they'll have to be run through the table saw....

Installed.

...and here we are as of last night. I have done a little more rearranging & relocating....but nothing that needed pics taken...

More to come.
                Attached Files
                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                Team Stats

Comment

awesome TopCat!!!!

Comment

but where is the mini-fridge???

Comment

If memory serves he has a full size one in/near said room. Been a few years since I've been there though (for those that can visit and are ever invited, I do recommend, 10/10 )
                      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Look closer.
                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                        Team Stats

Comment

damn, it's camoflaged - i thought that was another pc!!

Comment

Today wrapped up the modification to this bench with a trip to the local carpet store to see what they had.....nice remnant roll of commercial anti-static berber carpeting!!

getting the long side cleaned off:

Cut & fitted. I only had to do minor trimming after cutting for a nice snug fit.

...and now for the smaller section....this piece didn't even need any trimming. I cut it and it laid in there perfectly!!

The seam, with no carpet tape under it, it fit that nicely!!

Done!

That concludes this part of this project....but fear not, there's a little more to come.
                            Attached Files
                            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                            Team Stats

Comment

False hope on the service manual & firmwares.....they had it for the CM2125, which isn't even close to this one. Ohh well, this got back burnered for the planning stages of the new bench.....I cleared a hole where I want to build it.....and moved its contents to a back room in my shop...

.....and this is only about half of them, but the others aren't in the way......I'm a hoarder!

Those two identical HPs at the top, are they the same as my old 500a? Tualeron 1.2 GHz, 256MB PC133 SDRAM, 20GB Samsung of some sort and crappy integrated i810 graphics (which only supports 24-bit max and only 16-bit in 3D, and i810 doesn't support AGP unlike i815 thus no AGP slot is on the board) taking up 32MB of the former. The tiny 100W Bestec magically went bust in my one when it was stored unused for three years, with the JPCE-TUR (or PCE-TUR, no idea what the curved "P" is but it's basically the Jurassic Park logo) caps going kaput despite being unused for ages - they were fine when I retired the machine. I also have another HP like that but IIRC it's an AMD (833 MHz?) and unlike the 500a it has no CD drive door covers and actually has an AGP slot, never tested that one as the power supply was also dead. These HPs used SFF PSUs in a bracket.

Comment

^
                                one was a P3, the other was an early P4. They were converted into sleeper boxes. One is a C2Q @ 3GHz, the other is an AM3 system.
                                Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                                If memory serves he has a full size one in/near said room. Been a few years since I've been there though (for those that can visit and are ever invited, I do recommend, 10/10 )
                                Speaking of which, you need to bring that new truck down this way when you get the kinks out....pulling contest between your I6 and my I6.....

I did get your VM yesterday.....very cool of you, thanks! I meant to call back, but got sidetracked.
                                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                Team Stats

Comment

Speaking of which, you need to bring that new truck down this way when you get the kinks out....pulling contest between your I6 and my I6.....
                                  Context: I bought a 1984 F150 a few weeks ago for "cheap" and it's my latest project vehicle. It's in a restricted part of BCN, so no link here. Ford 300 vs cummins... . But I get better fuel economy, at least when diesel is up

I did get your VM yesterday.....very cool of you, thanks! I meant to call back, but got sidetracked.
                                  Context: I found something (vintage car part/accesory) in my junk pile that he has way more use for than myself... He and I occasionally send eachother goodie boxes...

That was slightly awkward...
                                  sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Today's task was moving all the component-level equipment from the front office to the back workroom. I have some other ideas for that smaller section of this bench....but for now it's empty..... I also have some other ideas and uses in mind for the front office...it will never stop being my office & PC benches...but in time I'll expand a few things.

Things are starting to take shape.

All those damn capacitor bins moved....and of course adjusted to fit the way they needed to.

The other end....

I only connected the essentials....the two vectorscopes (left column, bottom device and middle column, top device) are just decorations....I don't really see them ever being used again. All the rest is up & running.

I pulled a lot of junk from the upper shelves. There was a plastic case (visible in the upper left corner) with a brand new Dremel 4200 kit. I don't even know where it came from....

More later.
                                    Attached Files
                                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                    Team Stats

Comment

More fun continued.... The service bench in my office now needed a little reconfiguring.....since no more component level stuff (messy stuff) will be done in here....this bench is strictly for clean stuff.

The lower table height portion of the bench separated.

Back unfinished....didn't think I'd ever had a need for it to be finished.....times change. Standing on a temporary leg on one side.

The old mounts & trim.

All that stuff removed.

Mockup of the plan.....

Boy what the hell did I get myself into!!
                                      Attached Files
                                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                      Team Stats

Comment

Now we get down to the nitty gritty!! Tarp laid out since I'm not about to pack this heavy bastard out to the garage to do the finish work on it.

Here comes the stain...

Stained.

Top coat applied and mountings drilled. This is being held in place by 3x 3/8" carriage bolts....

That part done.

Making final leveling adjustments, and tightened the nuts down. It's solid enough I could remove the temporary leg and it would stand solid.....but I didn't want to stress anything....so it'll stay a bit longer.

Light removed.

Back kick board removed, as for the new layout it won't be needed anymore.

The brace on the right side was attached from inside the leg....I wasn't about to take the leg apart, that would have been a huge headache....so a wonderbar & hammer, I pulled it loose leaving a few screws sticking out... I used a dremel with a cutoff wheel and zipped them off then an awl to punch them down inside the leg for eternity.

Sanded & stained to match. I'm not too worried about the match, when this is all done it'll never really be seen.

...and that stage done...

Attached Files
                                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                        Team Stats

Comment

The next step in this bench's reconfiguration....relocation of the light.

Had to carve a channel for the light cord to run through. Nothing annoys me more than wires showing when they shouldn't be.

Carved the other side flush as well....I'll come back to this later.

New head piece made...where ohh where is this going to mount....

Mounts for light.

Sanded.

Stained.

Topcoated.

...and here's where it's going to mount...

3x 5" 3/16 lag bolts into the studs later, adjusted, and level!

Light installed.

Not bad!

Now back to this unsightly mess.....

Nothing a piece of scrap board wouldn't cure!! I didn't bother to make that outside corner perfect (didn't 45* it).....it really won't be seen by anyone but me. Making it perfect would have meant removing the entire head piece from the bench.....wasn't worth the effort.

It still looks damn skippy good!!

Not bad!! ...and to be continued!
                                          Attached Files
                                          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                          Team Stats

Comment

Working...
                                          X