Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HP BIOS unlock tool

Thanks for sharing!

Using latest version of flashrom I have successfully read 256MB chips. MX25L25635F is in support list. Probably works fine with your chip.

Those 2 not working laptops were probably just bad and not verified reads (always make sure to verify). Or maybe bad soldering. Find a dump with clean ME and VSS region.

The one that you uploaded is quite unusual. It has 2 sections with that keyword and first one is quite empty. I have only seen dumps with one of those sections. So my unlocker only modifies the first section. Try this file:
    Attached Files

Comment

Thank you RethoricalCheese - will try it and report.
      For the other 2 840G3 machines that are not working, i tried several dumps from other topics, cleared and non cleared - all show same symptoms (blackscreen, fan full speed, reboot or just powerOn-powerOff loop).
      I even tried the one with EC dump and MainBios dump (so that SerialNumber matches). No Luck, all show the same behavior.
      I also tried to lookup the VSS Area via UEFI-Tool and HxD. Could not find the usual $VSS region in anyone of these dumps. Did HP change their approach in locking the Passwords?

Also if anyone have a clean dump, could someone provide me with a dump? It would be realy appreciated.

Comment

Yes, 840G3 goes to the "new" category.
        Use uefitool NE alpha 56. There will be EfiSystemNvDataFvGuid under BIOS region. There you will find VSS2 store.

Since 840G3 needs soldering to read/write, I still think there might have been a problem with your soldering.

And when you use dumps from other people and there is no display right away, you need to wait 15 seconds or maybe up to a minute. Dirty ME region causes this wait time.

Comment

nice -got you. Found the vss2 - is it the region that states Admin PW / Power ON @ arround 09230 & 09400 that needs to be FF / 00´ed?

Comment

Originally posted by slaine View Post
            nice -got you. Found the vss2 - is it the region that states Admin PW / Power ON @ arround 09230 & 09400 that needs to be FF / 00´ed?

Search for unicode UserCred.
            That section needs some specific 00/FF pattern.

Comment

Originally posted by RethoricalCheese View Post
              The one that you uploaded is quite unusual. It has 2 sections with that keyword and first one is quite empty. I have only seen dumps with one of those sections. So my unlocker only modifies the first section. Try this file:
              Its working - no PW - only 2 broken left now ^^

Comment

Hi, using a HP Elitebook x360 1030 G2 with Win10 Pro but do not know Bios Administrator password -> Bios Update via HP Support Assistant is not possible...
                also tried to get into ESC-F10 Bios Setup but after 3 attempts no error code displayed.
                Also backup of current Bios is not possible without Admin password.
                Is there an easy, clear and understandable assistance available for my case as I am confused what to do exactly...?

Comment

You do not need admin password for backup. You need an SPI programmer and maybe some other tools for that.

For that model you need soldering tools and skills. If you do not have them, find somebody who has all that and pay for the service. It will be cheaper than buying all the tools.

Comment

Originally posted by RethoricalCheese View Post
                    You do not need admin password for backup. You need an SPI programmer and maybe some other tools for that.

For that model you need soldering tools and skills. If you do not have them, find somebody who has all that and pay for the service. It will be cheaper than buying all the tools.
                    So no other possibility than soldering or exchange of the mainboard? What about these smc.bin files which were supported by HP a year ago, doesn‘t exist any Software tools...?

Comment

They were from HP. I can create them but I can't sign them. Only HP can and HP will not do it.

So in other words, SMC.bin is dead. To unlock, you need tools.

Comment

I did verify and everthing seems to work without a problem. When I program the locked bios the laptop works but when I try unlocked, it dont work anymore.

Tried twice but with the same result

Comment

And why don't you upload your files?

Comment

I did

Originally posted by mr.Data View Post
                            Unlocked file isn't working. Please have a look
                            Last edited by mr.Data; 03-27-2020, 02:47 AM.

Comment

Is there any way to get a dump from a WSON 8x6 chip without soldering / hot air station?

Comment

840 G6

it recover password by itself
                                use uefitool NE A57 to clean still the same
                                Attached Files

Comment

Looks like newest generation has something different. Got to get myself one to try some thing out.

Comment

Originally posted by slaine View Post
                                    zbook15g5 got an MX25L25673 32mb eeprom - cant read that with pi nor with the tl866cs - ordered the tl866 ii plus
                                    Hey RethoricalCheese -want to report back

With the 866iiPlus i could dump the BIOS, your unlocker has worked with all three of the zbook 15G5

The HotAir soldering from this WSON is one of a kind, i burned the first eeprom, had to buy a spare one. After 3-4 tries I kinda got a feeling for the WSONs. Soldering Paste and a steady hand lead to success. Thank you again for the unlocker tool

Comment

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum. Before I've registered I've read many instructions how to recover the BIOS password on my HP EliteBook 840 G2. I bought a CH341A programmer, connected it to my PC and set up the SW. I was also able to back up the HP BIOS (I hope at least so) and to run the HP remover tool from the top post. But after I flashed it back the password still remains. I'm not sure, which step fails, maybe you could have a look at the attached files or provide me a password free version.

Thank you in advance!
                                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by quidep View Post
                                        Hello all,

I'm new to this forum. Before I've registered I've read many instructions how to recover the BIOS password on my HP EliteBook 840 G2. I bought a CH341A programmer, connected it to my PC and set up the SW. I was also able to back up the HP BIOS (I hope at least so) and to run the HP remover tool from the top post. But after I flashed it back the password still remains. I'm not sure, which step fails, maybe you could have a look at the attached files or provide me a password free version.

Thank you in advance!
                                        the copy you posted is not ok ... do you still have the original? you need to extract the bios chip from the motherboard, read it with the programmer, make a copy and check it with the hex program.
                                        Due to a lack of donations, server free space at a critical level, and possible closure of Bios Requests all donations are welcome, click:

>>>>> https://www.badcaps.net/index.php?pageid=donate1 <<<<<

Every donation made will go towards server fees and maintenance costs.

Comment

I do not have any other copy. But the HP still works, so maybe this is only an issue with the programmer? How do you recognize, whether a copy is OK?

Comment

Working...
                                          X