Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 820-01598 Intersil 9240 chipped?

Originally posted by mon2 View Post
    1) According to the schematics, F2 = No connect so I think you are safe here.

2) Rewa is a good company. They have many industry first videos for techs.
    Thanks. Thought so just wanted to make sure. Yeah rewa look pretty good, looking forward to it. Shame they don't do their mac corse anymore.

I'm going to try install the isl I reballed this arvo see how it goes. I'm too curious to see what happens, hopefully I don't regret this decision…

Comment

Interesting. I’ve reinstalled the isl, made sure there were no shorts from reinstall and now the top port is what it was earlier, drawing 150ma but the bottom port towards the lcd connector is back at where we were before I first reflowed the isl, 57ma.

Comment

I would wait for the replacement ISL9240 to arrive. Please post your updates with the new replacement device.

Comment

I would wait for the replacement ISL9240 to arrive. Please post your updates with the new replacement device.
          Yup think that's best. The isl got a bit more chipped in the reball process so that probably killed it if it was not already dead. I'll post back once the new isl is installed in a few weeks time. Dam China everything takes so long to ship 🥲

Comment

Check around Durban. I recall helping another tech and you should have some repair shops that may even carry this part. Perhaps not at the China pricing but still should be available from a local macbook repair shop.

Comment

Check around Durban. I recall helping another tech and you should have some repair shops that may even carry this part. Perhaps not at the China pricing but still should be available from a local macbook repair shop.
              Thanks I'll try a few shout around.

Comment

Finally got my 9240s in and it looks like we’re finally making slight progress!

Finally received my replacement ISL 9240 today. Installed a fresh one and now VDDP is 5V. A friend told me to check R7191 as he has had it cause him issues in the past. Is that suppose to be a 0 ohm resistor or 2.7 ohm? The schematic on bad caps says 2.7 but the schematic from xin zhi zao says zero.

I originally only had the one from xin zhi zao so when I measured it I saw 2.8k. Thought hmmm if that was blown it should be higher than that. Checked at other things couldn’t find anything so I removed it. Now first boot was 5v 500ma than the USB meter reset and went to 20v 0.4744 amps and fluctuating slightly. If I use the second port towards the battery connector the meter turns off and stays off, so back to the earlier behaviour.

PPBUS at F7000 is 12.53 volts so we’re making progress finally! Looked around at a few other rails can’t see any shorts anywhere. Which boards have replacements for R7191? According to my schematics the 8P, 6,XS, 3437 and 165 have zero of these on them which I find very hard to believe! And according to the schematic the 1598 has only r7191.

Comment

See attached.

R7191 = 2k7 (2,700 ohms) 0201 size.

PS: These are in stock @ Arrow Electronics. Just checked and it appears that we have free international shipping to South Africa. If you are interested, send me a PM and we can confirm again. If it is true, we can ship to you directly in the next few days. Online store states it will arrive by the end of next week. Really want to see if this is true so we can support other techs in your region.

https://www.arrow.com/en/products/rc...ctro-mechanics
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by mon2; 09-11-2021, 06:44 AM.

Comment

See attached.

PS: These are in stock @ Arrow Electronics. Just checked and it appears that we have free international shipping to South Africa. If you are interested, send me a PM and we can confirm again. If it is true, we can ship to you directly in the next few days. Online store states it will arrive by the end of next week. Really want to see if this is true so we can support other techs in your region.

Thanks. Surprised the schematic in xin zhi zao is wrong, Piernov said there the only ones that have it for the 1598 the one we have here on badcaps is for another board he said. But when I removed the resistor it read 2.6k I think it was so it looks like it's the other way around. Frustrating as I measured it in circuit and assumed this was my problem

Looks like the tolerance on this resistor is only 1% so we can only go up to 2.8k is that right? Didn't check for 2.8k on thr 3437 or 165 or the 6,8P or xs do any of those have them? I recently moved out of SA to the land of Paul Daniels not sure if you can ship there? If not digikey have them in stock. Rather use a donor if I can though, so itchy to get this thing working!

Speaking of impatience is it safe to continue testing with that resistor removed? I noticed it's part of a CPU line so I obviously don't want to punch the cpu in the face. Interesting that we've gone up to 20v and a large current now, I was going to do some heat testing with some ipa but wanted to check it's safe to do so without the resistor installed. The cpu and T2 area were getting quite hot earlier so not a good sign. I still have the shield on the T2 so I'll have to remove that and inspect.

Comment

Hi.

1) If you are measuring 2.6k (2k6) for R7191, then you are ok. This is not the fault of your logic board.

2) Just checked if we have free shipping to Australia where I believe Paul Daniels resides - yes, it appears to be the case with our account.

The ETA is next week for delivery by Fedex.

If you are stuck and need parts from Arrow, send me a PM. Just did a dry run to order some 0201 resistors to a random address in Australia and the webcart reports free shipping with our account.

Comment

See attached.

Hi.

1) If you are measuring 2.6k (2k6) for R7191, then you are ok. This is not the fault of your logic board.

2) Just checked if we have free shipping to Australia where I believe Paul Daniels resides - yes, it appears to be the case with our account.

The ETA is next week for delivery by Fedex.

If you are stuck and need parts from Arrow, send me a PM. Just did a dry run to order some 0201 resistors to a random address in Australia and the webcart reports free shipping with our account.
                        Thanks. Yes that was for the resistor though in circuit. When I measure across the pads I got 2.6M. Resistor out of circuit was also 2.6k I think. Only got a quick glance as I haven't got anything to hold small parts like this in place. Really need to get a spring loaded chip holder or something.

I'll do some heat ipa testing see what's getting hot. I don't want to order a replacement just in case I don't end up needing it. T2 shield and CPU heatsink are getting quite warm which is concerning so I'm going to hookup the battery and re test. Probably should test resistance on the cpu coils to see if the cpu is dead though not sure what it should be.

What's the minimum these boards need to boot? I believe these require the battery to boot, is that correct? How about trackpad, keyboard, screen? The trackpad and screen are smashed to oblivion so I'll probably leave those out just in case there shorted and cause further damage. If I hook up the apple USB c dongle the one with 1 USB a 1 USB c and 1 hdmi and leave the screen disconnected should I get a video signal assuming it boots? I know some models are fussy and won't output video until in the OS. My 165 use to do that till it died.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Comment

Well that’s frustrating! Hooked up the battery as instructed by someone on the rossmann forums and now I’m back to 5v. God I hope the bloody ISL has not died again!��

port closest to the speakers still turns my USB power meter off..

Port towards the back takes 0.0450 or so. My USB c meter also shows the USB C data lines so 0.017 for d+ Protocol CCP 1.5A, and d- 0.07 protocol USB 2.0 High. It fluctuates down slightly than back up to the above than after about 30 sec or so the amps drop to 0 and D+ drops down to 0.012 and dips down than back up. Protocol stays the same. D- dips to 0.01 and again the protocol stays the same. As mentioned above this is the exact behaviour I saw after replacing the 9240 but before removing r7191. Removing that finally gave me the 20v. That’s still missing though so that can’t be the issue.

weird the protocol no longer says apple 2.0 when I first got the 98w adapter it use to say apple protocol but ever since I sprayed the board with ipa and lost 20v it now says either Samsung or the above no apple protocol.

Comment

It is not normal for the USB port to turn off the meter.

Remove the USB-C paddle board and check for possible bent pins / corrosion.

Study, sheet 30/98 of the schematic. Check the resistance to ground on the D+ and D- pins on the USB interface for both of these USB C connectors. That is, check for possible USB C connector pin damage where it mates with the power adapter. Then on the logic board, check the same D+ and D- pins.

I do recall that another tech had blown ESD diodes on the logic board that needed to be replaced. They are quite tiny in size so must be handled with care. Low air pressure and a steady hand.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by mon2; 09-12-2021, 07:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AJ847.63e View Post
                              Piernov said there the only ones that have it for the 1598 the one we have here on badcaps is for another board he said.
                              820-01598 (Pro 13" 2019 2TBT) schematics and boardview files have been available for a while. Not to be confused with 820-01958 (Air 2020) for which boardview file is not available outside XinZhiZao, but schematics is available.
                              OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Originally posted by AJ847.63e View Post
                                That's the problem though finding dead boards isn't exactly easy here
                                If you want to practice microsoldering, you can get cheaply broken mobile phone boards. You can get the feel for what kind of heat BGAs need and when smaller components begin to blow off the board. They usually contain big ground planes for heat dissipation so it's often still a challenge to work on them properly.

Comment

Phone and laptop boards are very different. If you work the same way on phone boards than you do on laptop boards with hot air you're gonna float all components right away.
                                  OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

It is not normal for the USB port to turn off the meter.

Remove the USB-C paddle board and check for possible bent pins / corrosion.

Study, sheet 30/98 of the schematic. Check the resistance to ground on the D+ and D- pins on the USB interface for both of these USB C connectors. That is, check for possible USB C connector pin damage where it mates with the power adapter. Then on the logic board, check the same D+ and D- pins.

I do recall that another tech had blown ESD diodes on the logic board that needed to be replaced. They are quite tiny in size so must be handled with care. Low air pressure and a steady hand.

Thanks. Checked the port all the pins look fine but the gold shield outer casing is starting to peel back. I did have a bit of trouble lining the port up earlier. Stupid me removed the screws that hold it into the board during disassembly and it popped out and I had a hell of a time realigning it. So I guess that could be the issue but I doubt it. The pins in the board connector, on the ribbon connector and on the USB c male part all look fine.

0.681 diode mode for pin 7 of ue010 and 0.737 for pin 6. Specific resistance mode was 0.667M on both pins. So there seems to be no shorts on the USB c data lines. Is UE010 no stuff? It’s missing on my board but the schematic says critical so looks like that may be my issue?
                                    Last edited by AJ847.63e; 09-12-2021, 10:46 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification Piernov. I was just surprised the schematic and boardview I downloaded from this forum actually matched my board when XinZhiZao did not. Normally there the ones who have accurate files and were the ones who don’t.

As for phones yes I’m staying away from them for now. There too hard to work on everything’s so much smaller and close together so it’s a real struggle to get things to sit down without flying away.plus they are much more heat sensitive. I’m a real shaky handed guy as well so my iPhone Xs attempt ended up getting one cap on than the second than I shake and bulldoze both. Than I finally managed to get the battery connector on first go! Than I got all caps on bar one and slipped and bulldozed em all again. Everything’s too close for me. Much easier to stick to laptops for now than hopefully I get better than I can progress to phones.

Comment

Sigh. I’m a muppet! In getting the connector back on I think I know what the problem is. Pin 18 on J3300 is now missing. Pin 19 outside section and bottom section of the connector are there but the inside section towards the other rows of pins seems to be missing. DZ3351, DZ3352, DZ3350, DZ3353 are cracked or partly missing. Pretty sure this is recent damage though because before replacing the isl I was checking diode modes on those and they were fine. Pretty sure this is from connecting the battery. For the parts in that row marked D rather than DZ aren’t they also diodes? I ask because whether I read left to right or right to left I get OL on them. If they were blown shouldn’t they read 0 or close to it like the DZ parts are? Hope the CD3217 is not blown

How hard are the USB c connectors to change? Also can we buy the esd diodes? I know for the Xbox we can’t hopefully that’s not the case here. Sigh. Apple does such a good job of making these connectors so hard to not damage. First the battery connector on my xs and now this

Comment

1) if the esd diodes are OL then they are not the ones causing the shutdown issue. Such parts are effectively out of the circuit. However, respectively you do not have esd protection on those USB lines. Static build up on the USB connector can pass through and cause logic board faults / damage.

2) the 0201 esd diodes are very common and simple to source.

Here is an example of many:

https://www.arrow.com/en/products/es...sBuyingOptions

3) you will need a good pair of tweezers, flux and low air pressure hot air tool to replace these tiny parts.

4) which xbox esd part cannot be found? TVS ESD parts are quite common and should be easy to source. We typically purchase direct from the manufacturer for our OEM designs. Share more details on the xbox part.

5) if the usb type c connector is suspected then the paddle board should be replaced. They are very common in AliExpress. Search for your model "Axxx USB type C". Usually under $5 USD each.

6) can you post clear zoomed up pics of the area you suspect?

Will read and study the rest of your post when fully awake..

Comment

Working...
                                          X