Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Windows Vista Pretty Much Sucks

Originally posted by gdement
    NT4 is very stable and it also runs faster than 98 on old systems. I used it on a P133 laptop and it felt like a new computer. The problems with NT4 are it doesn't support USB and it doesn't work with modern versions of DirectX, so you can't play many games on it. That isn't a big deal on most old machines.
    I can't say I ever used NT4 perhaps I should give it a look in... still, no way no how am I getting Vista yet
    Viva LA Retro!

Comment

Originally posted by Fizzycapola
      It seems not too long ago having a computer with 64-128Mb was considered super powerful able to be used for creating profesional 32bit color 3D movies of Pixar quality.

Now one must have 2GB or more to open their a text document.

Did everybody die and awake in hell. This is a nightmare you must pinch yourself to believe it's real.
      Agreed.

I started my fascination with computers at a time when Pentium 133's with 32mb RAM were adequete for running games like StarCraft, Diablo ii, and even CStrike 6.0.

Years later in this age of MS Vista I also feel the same way that: "Now one must have 2GB or more to open their a text document."
      CPU: Sempron 2500+ / P4 2.8E / P4 2.6C / A64 x2 4000+ / E6420 / E8500 / i5-3470 / i7-3770
      GPU: TNT2 M64 / Radeon 9000 / MX 440-SE / 7300GT / Radeon 4670 / GTS 250 / Radeon 7950 / 660 Ti / GTS 450

Main Driver: Intel i7 3770 | Asus P8H61-MX | MSI GTS 450 | 8GB of NO NAME DDR3 RAM (2x4GB) | 1TB SATA HDD (W.D. Blue) | ASUS DVD-RW | 22" HP Compaq LE2202x (1920x1080) | Seasonic S12II-620 PSU | Antec 300 | Windows 7 Ultimate with SP1

Comment

I did another Vista Premium setup for a client. New Dell E560, 2gb, 800 FSB on Duo Core, dual channel memory, etc. Nice machine.

Except for Vista.

What a turd. Disabling the "Account Management" (the permission asking thing) causes it to raise all sorts of alarms, "the account management is disabled!!!". One is as bad as the other.

MS will eventually bow to the tide of complaints, and fix the basic things. Like doing a file search actually searches the disk, not a list of web sites. Harumph.

When my clients ask me, "Why does..." I tell them that Why is a philosophical question, and beyond the scope of this class. You are encouraged to call 1-800-Call-Bill and pay MS to ask questions. I don't do questions.

I'm trying to figure out if I'm just cranky as hell from too many allergies, or if Vista really sux has hard as I think it does. What a disaster. I haven't seen the Business versions yet.

Comment

Originally posted by grss1982
          Agreed.

I started my fascination with computers at a time when Pentium 133's with 32mb RAM were adequete for running games like StarCraft, Diablo ii, and even CStrike 6.0.
          Blizzard Entertainment releases from that period are excellent! I too have played Starcraft, Warcraft series etc. most recent (non-Blizzard) acquisition being 'C&C Tiberian Sun' RTS gaming rocks!

I managed to get by on K62-350, 64Mb PC100 & 98SE for years, not until I encountered the 'Dark Reign' series did I need to invest in better hardware, a TnT2pro (OC'ed) & K62-500

* gets nostalgic *
          Viva LA Retro!

Comment

my favourite game is arkanoid
            the games i have played the longest are the need for speed series but the playability never got better after NFS3, NFS HS/RC. in fact it got worse.
            capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

willa, I still play NFS3:HP...It ran fine on my P2-266 with Win95b, 128 megs of RAM, and it runs fine now. Brings back memories.

As for Vista, everything described in this thread is why I still use 2000 and XP. Heck, the PPro-200, OCed to 233, with 64 MB of EDO runs Win2000 tolerably well, and a P3-500 with 256 MB is fine for XP. Probably would've been fine with 128.

But Vista? When the requirements of an operating system are higher than those of the games that I play (ex.: GTA SanAndreas, The Sims 2, to name some of the "newer" ones that run fine with 512 MB of PC3200), I'm not upgrading to that OS anytime soon, especially considering that nForce2 users were basically told to shove it anyway...
              You know there's something wrong when you open up a PSU and are glad to find Teapos.
              Why I don't buy cheap cases!

Comment

I feel the urge for a Linux plug...

Comment

Originally posted by Spacedye69
                  I feel the urge for a Linux plug...
                  Hmmmm... okay will this do?

Robert Schindler, a mechanical engineer (structural design) based in Florida - "It will be a long time before you hear me praise NT or any other MS product. I believe that Gates and his empire have done more to lower the standards of our society than anything else in my lifetime. If my product had the same quality as theirs, airplanes would be falling out of the sky hourly."

Or perhaps this little gem (and a personal favourite)

Douglas Adams author of the hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy - "The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armor to lead all his customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores the fact that it was he who by peddling second-hand, second-rate technology, led them all into it in the first place."
                  Viva LA Retro!

Comment

I figure that when the Mac can run flawlessly:
                    • Microsoft Office
                    • Quickbooks Pro

It will begin to make huge inroads into the business environment. I'm not a Mac guy at all, but not a disparager either. I do admire the total control Apple maintains over the machine and drivers. This has to be less problematic than the Windows world.

My customers all tell me the same thing: they don't want to know how it works, or to tinker with it. Like a wall phone or TV, they just want it to work on demand. My experiences with Vista so far, assume me I will have lots of work.

Comment

A dozen or so of us here at work still play D2 on our machines at home...
                      Ya'll think us folk from the country's real funny-like, dontcha?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

Originally posted by tazwegion
                        Hmmmm... okay will this do?

Robert Schindler, a mechanical engineer (structural design) based in Florida - "It will be a long time before you hear me praise NT or any other MS product. I believe that Gates and his empire have done more to lower the standards of our society than anything else in my lifetime. If my product had the same quality as theirs, airplanes would be falling out of the sky hourly."
                        That sucks, cause Microsoft makes autopilot and flight software. Not hourly, but maybe once per month.

Comment

Just to put in my two dollars worth. I have been happy with XP for a long time supporting many users and if the users just use the computers and not start deleting or changing system functions it has proven very reliable over the years. I am not changing to Vista in the forseeable future in that I use some pretty old programmes. One was developed at Windows 3.1 time and ran on Windows 95. Fortunately Windows XP compatabilty mode offers various tweeks that allow me to run the PCB circuit design suite (expense to replace).
                          I hate think what the cost would be to upgrade to Vista.
                          Gigabyte EP45-DS3L Ultra Reliable (Power saver)
                          Intel E8400 (3000Mhz) Bios temps. 4096Mb 800Mhz DDR2 Corsair XMS2 4-4-4-12
                          160Gb WD SATAII Server grade
                          Nvidia 8500GT 256Mb
                          160Gb WD eSATAII Server grade for backup.
                          Samsung 18x DVD writer
                          Pioneer 16x DVD writer + 6x Dual layer
                          33 way card reader
                          Windows XP Pro SP3
                          Thermaltake Matrix case with 430W Silent Power
                          17" Benq FP737s LCD monitor
                          HP Officejet Pro K5300 with refillable tanks

Comment

As many others have said the biggest threat to Vista is not Linux, it is Windows XP
                            "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Hmmm....

I was just wondering with Windows 98 support being discontinued and Vista being out the door now, does anybody get the feeling that Windows XP could be the next Windows 98 in terms of logetivity?
                              CPU: Sempron 2500+ / P4 2.8E / P4 2.6C / A64 x2 4000+ / E6420 / E8500 / i5-3470 / i7-3770
                              GPU: TNT2 M64 / Radeon 9000 / MX 440-SE / 7300GT / Radeon 4670 / GTS 250 / Radeon 7950 / 660 Ti / GTS 450

Main Driver: Intel i7 3770 | Asus P8H61-MX | MSI GTS 450 | 8GB of NO NAME DDR3 RAM (2x4GB) | 1TB SATA HDD (W.D. Blue) | ASUS DVD-RW | 22" HP Compaq LE2202x (1920x1080) | Seasonic S12II-620 PSU | Antec 300 | Windows 7 Ultimate with SP1

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson
                                As many others have said the biggest threat to Vista is not Linux, it is Windows XP
                                Exactly, seems M$ is fast tracking the obsolescence of XP...

I still have W2K and it works just fine...
                                Ya'll think us folk from the country's real funny-like, dontcha?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

i remember reading also that they are fast tracking sp1 for vista (perhaps to catch the corporate clients who dont upgrade until sp1)

one of the problems in that respect is that budgets have to be allocated appropriately. there is no sense to upgrade unless there is valid reason. like for instance when we moved from 98 to 2000. it was a great improvement and reduced the desktop support by like 80%.

so if they think admins are going to rush to implement vista..........there are many other more important items in the budget these days. not only upgrades to the whole buttload of software offices need these days (not microsoft). but also the servers and web services.

microsoft gets a lot of criticism but many techs made very nice money supporting their stuff. The thing i really think they should be criticised for is pricing.

linux is great but for the general consumption it is not gonna be on the desktop in most offices unless everything moves to web applications (which is not unlikely) these people cant even remember how to use windows after their vacation (or lunch break).
                                  capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson
                                    Perhaps, but as I figure it Windows 2000 will be the next on the chopping block, as MS doesn't want to alienate too many PC users XP may stay with us for a good while yet

AFAIK corporations are increasingly looking at Linux as a real contender (if not adopting it), where once they would've been staunch MS loyalists, and completely disregarded it... I mean just look at how CompaQ, Hewlett Packard & Dell offer pre-loaded Linux computing solutions
                                    Viva LA Retro!

Comment

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17739772/ - Federal agency bans Microsoft Vista
                                      (Some of my concerns about compatibility with older hardware has been revealed)
                                      My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

yes I think XP has got a bit more life yet thats for sure

I think they did from memory extend there support for win98

I think there is a rough guide somewhere on when they tend to phase OS's out

Pricing of vista ( here in oz) and the x different versions of it make it all a bit confusing too for the lay person.
                                        So I dont think MS has done them selfs any favors in this regard

its early days yet really even if it has been a looooong time coming.

Although I don't really do anything with bizz setups

on a bizz level, unless you need it or its of some financial gain to you why would you bother if you have working secure setups.

Are there any real major pluses that would make the headache and expense worth while?

I know there would be some but would the upgrade be worth the time money and teething problems

Another problem I see is that when M$ does discontinues support for XP, there is a possibility for them to not reactivate copies that are out there even if you you do have a legit claim of lic doubt they would be that nasty but it exists (anybody read the lic agreement and know an answer to that one?)

The world really needed a standard OS, not so sure MS is the answer but its what we got so guess we have to live with it...XP hasn't been too bad really
                                        (except the constant security issues)

I remember the days of microcomputers & CP\M OS and floppies for each manufacture had different formatting...... what a nightmare.
                                        In a lot of ways you were locked to whom ever you bought the computer off.

From what I have read on Vista..... no time soon for me

I think for it to really shine you need the right version and the hardware for it to exploit

With anything new software wise...best to wait till the iron out a lot of the bugs.

just my thoughts

cheers all
                                        You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you may be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins ...

Comment

I'm having a very hard time trying to get an Atheros based wireless card, which came with a *new HP computer that came with Vista* to work properly. From everything I've read online, lots of people have problems with the Vista driver for that card. Early adopting sucks, I wish that computer had come with XP and a free Vista upgrade we could just install later when it works properly.

Comment

Working...
                                          X